What's new

RAINTREE COUNTY on Blu? (3 Viewers)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Elizabeth Taylor is on the cover of the latest People magazine. The photograph was taken by Bob Willoughby at the time of filming Raintree County.

10268644_442669012524633_4106659343278191962_n.jpg

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I don't know how I missed this, but I just noticed today that a Raintree County collector posted on my Release Raintree County on Blu-ray/DVD FB page last month that his contacts have told him that it will be released on Blu-ray and DVD later this year. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but I thought I'd pass along the information anyway. Keep your fingers crossed!

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I don't know how I missed this, but I just noticed today that a Raintree County collector posted on my Release Raintree County on Blu-ray/DVD FB page last month that his contacts have told him that it will be released on Blu-ray and DVD later this year. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but I thought I'd pass along the information anyway. Keep your fingers crossed!

It is the same collector that had said the same thing a year ago I think and then Warner said that that was totally a false rumour?
Because I have a hunch it's something like this.. again.

edit: Oh, yes. It's the same I think. I remembered the name .

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Elizabeth Taylor is on the cover of the latest People magazine. The photograph was taken by Bob Willoughby at the time of filming Raintree County.

10268644_442669012524633_4106659343278191962_n.jpg
A subtle early PR tie in for the supposed RAINTREE COUNTY (1957) Blu-ray/DVD release later this year, perhaps? ;)

Though not a favorite of mine, I do hope it gets released, as I was quite shocked to discover awhile back this title doesn't even have a decent DVD release! Based on the number of TCM airings (And fans who have posted in this Topic!), RAINTREE COUNTY sure seems to be popular enough to warrant it!

CHEERS! :)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It is the same collector that had told the same thing a year ago I think and then Warner said that that was totally a false rumour?
Because I have a hunch it's something like this.. again.

edit: Oh, yes. It's the same I think. I remembered the name .
efore te

I sincerely hope that this time it is not just a rumor but certainly one year before the 60th anniversary would be very strange timing.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
@Konstantinos Yes, he told us in 2014 that it would be out in 2015, I believe, and apparently there have been some delays. As for WB denying it, I wouldn't expect them to come out and say, "Yep, we're working on it", so of course they're going to deny it. The studios tend to keep things very hush hush. Anyway, like I said, don't want anyone to get their hopes up, but I did want to pass along the information.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
OliverK, I thought that as well, but studios have been known to celebrate anniversaries early--or late. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. :)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
OliverK, I thought that as well, but studios have been known to celebrate anniversaries early--or late. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. :)

I will certainly not complain about early celebrations :D

Raintree County has a certain visual and aural beauty to it that really makes it necessary to have it on Blu, so fingers crossed over here, too. Oh,did I mention that Liz Taylor is stunning in it?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
As you and I both know, the MY FAIR LADY: 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION Blu-ray/DVD combo by Paramount, was a recent (Albeit unintentional!) example of this!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
If it is released on Blu-ray, 2017 would be a better time. But WB does not have the roadshow footage.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
But WB does not have the roadshow footage.
They apparently have it in the form of a 35mm print? Obviously this won't look too good if reinserted with the rest of the movie coming off the 65mm negative. It must be frustrating to know that no matter how much money they spend the release will be a flawed product.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
They apparently have it in the form of a 35mm print?
That was from a private collector's print which they no longer have. I have no idea what the condition of that print is now as its been many years (10 or 15) since TCM used it.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
That was from a private collector's print which they no longer have. I have no idea what the condition of that print is now as its been many years (10 or 15) since TCM used it.

If it went back to the collector everything is possible I guess.
A sad state of affairs...

One has to wonder how far they have come towards working on Raintree County, somebody yesterday told me that Warner supposedly had this on the agenda as a big restoration at some point but then it was taken off again due to cost reasons. One has to wonder if they had followed through in case that the complete roadshow version had been available to them.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
If it went back to the collector everything is possible I guess.
A sad state of affairs...

One has to wonder how far they have come towards working on Raintree County, somebody yesterday told me that Warner supposedly had this on the agenda as a big restoration at some point but then it was taken off again due to cost reasons. One has to wonder if they had followed through in case that the complete roadshow version had been available to them.

Hearing this is like learning you were one number away from winning the lottery! Depressing to say the least!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I suspect this has been discussed before, but couldn't The Warner Archive just issue a "Warts And All" MOD DVD-R so the fans of this Film have something other than cheap DVD knock-offs? Surely, almost anything has to be better than nothing at this stage?

Just my opinion!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I suspect this has been discussed before, but couldn't The Warner Archive just issue a "Warts And All" MOD DVD-R so the fans of this Film have something other than cheap DVD knock-offs? Surely, almost anything has to be better than nothing at this stage?=

The version that TCM shows doesn't look so bad; if they don't intend to give us anything, why not a WAC DVD? I suppose that's part of the reason why I've continued to hang onto the hope that a future restoration is still a possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks