What's new

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy (1 Viewer)

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
It's a terrible serial, but I was always amused by Zombies of the Stratosphere. Leonard does little more than swim for most of the 12 chapters but then he gets an impassioned speech before dying in the final chapter. Hilarious. R.I.P. Mr. Nimoy.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Very sad news

image.jpg

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Very sad to hear.

I thought the best Priceline commercials, were the one that Nimoy was in. Like this one...

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Very sad news.

Watching Star Trek IV right now.

Here's hoping Big Bang Theory does a nice tribute episode.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
For those who don't want to paste the same YouTube clip over and over, I remember seeing the featurette on Nimoy's sideline in art-photography, and he even had a long-running exhibition at the local art-dealer in town.

Although I confess my first reaction was "Well, there's another more convincing reason for JJ Abrams not to do a third Trek movie... :( "

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I was very sad when the news broke that Leonard Nimoy had died. I will always remember him most as Spock, but there are other roles like Paris (Mission Impossible) or TV series guest starring roles.

It is my understanding that Spock is the only (TOS) character that was in all the movie and the TV series (cartoons/original series).

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
sad news indeed. my mom also passed in february. this year is the 2 year anniversary of her passing which was february 25th. i thought one of the best episodes of the original series was journey to babel which really gave the audience spock's childhood and adult years before joining starfleet.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Here is Issac Asimov's classic "My Spock Is Dreamy" article for TV Guide in 1967.

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/686/mr-spock-is-dreamy-issac-asimovs-1967-look-at-how-leonard-nimoys-star-trek-character-changed-sex-appeal/

I'll say that as an 8-year-old who discovered Star Trek, Spock was my hero, and I learned that intelligence was admirable and achievable. He made being smart seem fun, at a time (the mid-70s) when pop culture was full of brutes and good ol' boys. That kind of positive role model was very much appreciated.

I recall the 1987 Spitting Image special (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VwrTPsqph8), which goofed on him and his image. That show made it seem like he was always striving to be taken seriously by critics and top box-office filmmakers (the bit at 9:30 is cruel), and I always thought it was unfair. He had box office success away from Star Trek (Three Men and a Baby), and was responsible for one of the franchise's best received films (The Voyage Home), in addition to his other accomplishments, not least of which were his performances. He was nominated for an Emmy in each of Star Trek's three years, and his performance as Spock has lasted half a century, and will undoubtedly last well into the future.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Sam Favate said:
I recall the 1987 Spitting Image special which goofed on him and his image. That show made it seem like he was always striving to be taken seriously by critics and top box-office filmmakers (the bit at 9:30 is cruel), and I always thought it was unfair

I recall that '87 Spitting special too, and it seemed to be time-trapped in 1979: :wacko:
A parody on Aliens turned out to be a parody on Alien (complete with Sigourney-in-her-skivvies joke), a supposed parody on Hannah & Her Sisters turned out to be a B/W parody of Manhattan, and we even got a Roger Moore 007 joke fresh off of Moonraker...er, View to a Kill.

And more to the point, jokes about Star Trek IV turned out to be jokes about Star Trek I, from back when we were more vocal about how the old cast had let themselves go since the TV series.

Comedy has freshness dates, and it's sad when they expire.

Sam Favate said:
I'll say that as an 8-year-old who discovered Star Trek, Spock was my hero, and I learned that intelligence was admirable and achievable. He made being smart seem fun, at a time (the mid-70s) when pop culture was full of brutes and good ol' boys. That kind of positive role model was very much appreciated.

In the silly "Way to Eden" episode, Spock's logical Vulcan-philosophical openness to the space-hippie movement (every 60's series that did one hippie-movement episode had to have one open-minded character to contrast the frustrated establishment character we were meant to sympathize with, ie. Kirk) seemed to symbolize why Trek had the pop-cultural hold on 1967 mainstream audiences that it did:

You didn't have to turn on and drop out to experience the "60's revolution" in your own suburban town, it just took latching on to something that actually engaged your brain cells and your imagination, and let you examine your own issues by spiritually adopting a more reasonable different viewpoint.

For some in that generation, logic in the service of the Federation, Starfleet and the Prime Directive literally became the Anti-Drug. :)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Naw, you'll have to dig deeper than that! How about Nimoy as a psychic race car driver detective!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
As my latest "Tribute to a Fallen Star" I'm watching the Serial that had the honor of being Leonard Nimoy's debut as an actor, Zombies of the Stratosphere. RIP Leonard, you lived long and prospered.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
joshEH said:
A lot of the coverage of this are referring to Mr. Nimoy as an "iconic" Star Trek actor. That term is waaay overused, but there is no doubt that Nimoy's Spock is an icon. I always liked everything he did, but one moment I could not find a clip of so I'll recount it. About 10 years ago, TV Land started showing Star Trek, and they got Nimoy and Shatner to host the first night. At one point, Nimoy asked Shatner what his favorite episode was, and Shatner replies, "That's easy, the one where Greg and Marsha compete to see who's the best driver." Although clearly not spontaneous, Nimoy delivered a perfectly stunned and confused expression, which was hysterical.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
View attachment 17349
RIP Leonard Nimoy

“Of my friend I can only say this: of all the souls that I met on my travels, his was the most… human.”
Spock was the heart and sole of Star Trek IMHO. I also loved Kirk's character and that of Bones and Scotty but Spock really made Star Trek what it was and added to the good cast that surrounded him. You lived long and prospered!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
RIP. Made a great villain on Columbo one of the best in fact, and the sci-fi classic Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks