What's new
World Wide Stereo

Quick question (1 Viewer)

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, my brother just bought a new plasma tv and wants me to come hook it all up for him, but he doesn't have any of the cables. I know most of what i need, but here' my question. To hook up any old DVD player straight to the tv, can I just use a three pronged audio/video cable? Or do I have to use component cables? I'm hoping the normal old audi/video cable will work b/c I don't want to tell him he needs a component. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it can be done. But that is the very worst connection you can have besides a direct RF cable feed. Even the cheapest component cables are going to give you a better picture than a $500 composite cable (the yellow in the yellow/red/white A/V cables). Have him spring for the component. If he has a plasma display, watching through composite is like spending $10,000 on a stereo system and listening to 8-tracks (or heavily compressed MP3 files for you youngin's).

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator
Gotcha. That's what i figured...I just know he's bound to freak out when he hears he is going to have to spend even more money.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
He'll more likely be disappointed if he hooks things up via composite to his shiney new display. Rat Shack has decent component cables for under forty bucks and I think BB's AR cables might even be a little less expensive.

Mort (who would like to see your brothers face when you tell him his cheapo DVD player needs upgrading :D )

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Tell him to run down to Best Buy and get a set of component cables. He does not have to spend the extra money for Monster Cables either.

I have used Acoustic Research cables from Best Buy and they work great.

Depending of the length that he needs, he can spend $20-$40.

Don't use those cheap thin RCA cable on his beautiful plasma. They will cause noise in the picture.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor

Oh, don't worry about it then. The picture will look awful anyway :D JK.

How cheap is it? I hope its not those $59 Black Friday specials .

He should at least get a DVD player that has DVI.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
I don't know where all you people are coming from, but the cable used in composite video (the yellow plugs) is exactly the same as what is used in component video.

BobbyPerry, you need to get a hold of three composite video cables - the red and white audio ones won't do for lengths greater than six feet. You can go to Radio Shack and get three dedicated composite video cables (thick ones) if that's cheaper than getting a component cable.

And STAY AWAY FROM MONSTER CABLES. They are overpriced and bad quality in comparison to decent cables costing the same.

Sorry, but that's a load of BS.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

You are saying that video through a component connection is not better than video through a composite connection, regardless of the price of the cables? Gee, now I'm going to have to swap my component connections for some really high priced composite video cables. Thanks for the info, all this time I thought component was better.:rolleyes:

Hint - Read what I said again. I said the component connection gives much better video quality than the composite connection, even if you buy cheap component cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks