What's new

Optoma 4k upscaling - or let X700 do it? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
This is the age-old question: should you let the display upscale 1080P to 4K, or have the UHD blu-ray player do it?

Specifically my new budget system with a Sony x700 blu-ray player and an Optoma UHD35x DLP projector. My first testing with the regular blu-ray of Sound Of Music says the picture quality is better letting the projector do the upscaling. But I'm using an older 12 foot HDMI cable until the new 4K cable shows up next week. This may muddy the video.

Anyone have any comments on the quality of the upscaling of Optoma products?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry to state the obvious, but if the current hdmi cable isn’t 4K capable, the player *can’t* upscale it.

Once you have a 4K cable, I suspect the player might do a better job.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think what John says is right - need the more modern cable for your player to handle it.

I think once you’ve got that, try both the player and the projector on a couple things, see what you like better, go with that and try not to second guess it after (I am the worst with that).

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It's an older cable, but the projector says it's receiving 2160P video off of it. If the cable was that bad the handshaking should just cut off any transfer.

Years ago Optoma was proud of their upscaling. My old HD72 had the "Faroudja" logo on the projector. What do they do now?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's an older cable, but the projector says it's receiving 2160P video off of it. If the cable was that bad the handshaking should just cut off any transfer.

Agreed. So it’s looking like your PJ is doing the better job on the upscale. Set it, forget it and enjoy in good health :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The way you wrote the initial post, it sounded like the current cable might not be 4K capable. Which is why I stated my response the way I did.

YANG

Screenwriter
let the projector or TV or display do the 4K upscaling... if ur disc player outputs in a moderate fixed resolution of 1080. there were cases where SONY 4K players were forced to output at 4K across all formats, the system got haywired that affects 4K discs reading.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Yes I turned off the upscaling in the Sony X700 and let the Optoma do it. Regular blu-ray (SOM) looks better that way. Last night I tried an actual 4K blu-ray of Jurassic Park and it looked spectacular. The Optoma reported receiving 2160P over the HDMI cable.

The existing HDMI cable has those bulky ferrite beads on it so I thought it might be an antique. Apparently it has the bandwidth for 4K. I think it was one of a pair I bought for my old 720P Optoma HD72 back in 2007: one with HDMI connectors both ends and one terminated in a DVI connector to support the HD72's inputs. They were "top quality" at the time IIRC.

Too bad no manufacturers got into the habit of marking HDMI cables with their bandwidth. I may have to come up with a scheme to put colored tape on them.

Han111

Auditioning
Real Name
HT
The 4K Projector supposed to display whatever it can from the input directly and as close to the source as possible. It never have any chipset to upscale the picture from say Full Hd to 4K for any home projector

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks