What's new

Questions about the profession (1 Viewer)

DNR Death

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Molinaro
Mr. Harris,

I am delighted to see that you are a member on these forums because I have been dying to ask someone in the film preservation field about.... well... the film preservation field.

I am a Senior Undergrad in Telecommunications Production at Pennsylvania State University. Typically, I am lucky if I run into people who even know what film preservation/restoration is. (And that's within my department!)

I have been heavily interested in film restoration and repair for AT LEAST the last 7 years. But information and resources have always seemed to be scarce. I am certainly more interested in the hands on side of the work.

I currently stumbled upon info for the Selznick program in Rochester New York as well as the Tisch Grad Program at NYU. Have you heard of these programs? Are they worth the time and money?

Are you aware of any other schools and/or programs that are quality?

Best regards,

Greg Molinaro

P.S. Sorry to the other forum members. I realize this was a selfish post. Hopefully you all will find the subject matter to at least by interesting :D

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Greg, welcome to the forum. On the contrary, your post is not selfish, I find it very interesting. While I am too far along in my present career to change professions, there are many young individuals such as yourself you have interest and, more importantly, passion, in this field and need to know how best to channel their resources to gain knowledge and skills.

The need for film preservation is not going away anytime soon and the industry needs to develop "bench strength" to have qualified inviduals at the helm for decades to come.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

UCLA.

Dependent upon your desire for warmer or cooler weather, all three are fine programs. If you feel that you wish to take this further, I suggest you PM me, and I'll do what I can to help you.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks