What's new

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Does anyone have any news clippings, or rare movie posters/ads for this movie, or know if any?

I’ve done multiple searches, and I’ve found lots, but no news clippings/reviews.

if anyone does a search and finds anything, please post it. It’s for a project I’m working on and the more I can get, the better.

What I’m really looking for is pics of the original program. I’ve found about half of it, but I’d love to have the other half.

Thanks in advance!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Does anyone have any news clippings, or rare movie posters/ads for this movie, or know if any?

I don't know if this helps, but I love having an excuse to dig through old newspaper clippings.

Here's the LA Times ad for the world premiere at the Chinese on February 1, 1929:
The_Los_Angeles_Times_1929_02_01_page_10.jpg

one from the Sunday edition two days later:
The_Los_Angeles_Times_1929_02_03_page_47.jpg

and some from the Daily News regarding its New York debut at the Astor Theatre a week later:
Daily_News_1929_02_08_page_55.jpg

Daily_News_1929_02_10_page_67.jpg

Daily_News_1929_02_09_page_26.jpg

and two views of the Astor marquee:
large.png

large (8).jpg

I'll look for some reviews next. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I don't know if this helps, but I love having an excuse to dig through old newspaper clippings.

Here's the LA Times ad for the world premiere at the Chinese on February 1, 1929:

and some from the Daily News regarding its New York debut at the Astor Theatre a week later:

Will: thank you so much!!! These help IMMENSELY! It’s just going to make my project A LOT better! Every little bit helps! Thank you again!!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

View attachment 194170

View attachment 194172

View attachment 194171

View attachment 194173

View attachment 194178

View attachment 194180
View attachment 194181

What’s interesting is that audiences that night - at least a quarter century ago, heard the precise same disc-based track that we hear today on the Warner Archive Blu-ray.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As I tried to point out in my review, it seems primitive today to us who are so accustomed to widescreen, expansive sound, and color and with a camera that can go anywhere and show anything, but the film was a sensation in its day. Nothing like it had ever been done before.

Carrie Beth

Agent
Real Name
Carrie

My go-to is to check the Source Citations in the online AFI Catalog and then search those sources at archive.org.

For example, AFI lists the Feb. 13, 1929 edition of Variety among their sources of information on The Broadway Melody. Okay, then: go to archive.org, type "Variety 1929" into the search bar, hit enter, and then scroll until you find the February issue. Once you've opened it, hit the thumbnail view. The issue and page number are listed at the top of each scanned page of Variety, and IIRC, other publications of the time follow a similar format. Scroll until you find the correct page, then zoom in.

Sometimes the information at AFI is incorrect in regard to page number, but not often. And while all of this takes some digging, it can be done from the comforts of home. We've got it easy these days.

Hope that helps!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
My go-to is to check the Source Citations in the online AFI Catalog and then search those sources at archive.org.

For example, AFI lists the Feb. 13, 1929 edition of Variety among their sources of information on The Broadway Melody. Okay, then: go to archive.org, type "Variety 1929" into the search bar, hit enter, and then scroll until you find the February issue. Once you've opened it, hit the thumbnail view. The issue and page number are listed at the top of each scanned page of Variety, and IIRC, other publications of the time follow a similar format. Scroll until you find the correct page, then zoom in.

Sometimes the information at AFI is incorrect in regard to page number, but not often. And while all of this takes some digging, it can be done from the comforts of home. We've got it easy these days.

Hope that helps!
It certainly will! :D

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

Hope that helps!
With your tip, I was able to find the Original Program! I only had parts of it, now I have it all! Thank you again!!! This made me very happy!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
This is a film I like enormously. The final scene alone in the cab is worth the whole movie.
I was checking the price on Amazon hoping for a lower one.
It gets 3 and a half stars!
Now the worst films always get at least 4 and a half.
A real disappointment.

Also there is an early talkie directed by George Cukor and Cyril Gardner which might be The Royal Family of Broadway. Fredric March is wonderful as John Barrymore. The scene where he goes to take a bath is great. Perfect timing. Certainly pre code.
I believe this is the film where two women are in a cab driving through Times Square and they look at a marquee. One says to the other, 'All singing, all dancing, all terrible.'

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
While I didn’t hate CRASH, it’s not one of worst. MELODY isn’t one of the best, but I find it hard to watch… maybe because it’s almost 100 years old. I’m so excited to see this new transfer!

Imo, MARTY is one of the worst. […]
Gee, whiz, I thought everyone liked Marty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks