What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: The Godfather Trilogy (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (including gift set and reissues) (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It seemed to insinuate that there were better elements in Paramount's vaults that you guys didn't use back in 2008 or something.
Possible, but extremely doubtful to any large extent. From memory, I believe we lacked just a couple of very short OCN bits in the Sollozzo assassination sequence and possibly a single bit of stock footage. The only other shot that we never found, after going through over a hundred cans, was the background plate of the chair in the opening of GF II, which was presumed to have been re-used in another version of the film(s). That shot, as cut into the OCN, was original CRI with a title overlay.

None of this newsworthy.

We also replaced several dupes in GF III (one with an emulsion scratch running through the dupe) which were problematic. We had located all of the production footage, used to create the dupes, but had neither time nor budget to replace them all, and there are many. The difference in quality is quite obvious at 4k. The OCN for GF III is S35 to 1.85, with beautiful quality imagery. It was cut and conformed single strand as opposed to A/B rolls, which would have kept all shots original.

All of this footage was replaced for CODA, which is the best way to view GF III.

Our work on GF III involved re-creating the re-cut version which had originally only been prepared for video, was to bring to to final film negative as a 4k DI.

Of the three films, it is GF III that best takes advantage of 4k. The gain in resolution in the two earlier films to 4k, while more obvious in projection, is minimal, based primarily upon the amount of filtration (especially in the NY flashback material in GF II), optics and grain structure. I’m not referring to pixel peeping here, but rather the difference as seen from a nominal seating distance.

All of that noted, the forthcoming 4k release should be lovely, and will hopefully accurately mimic the final 2007 color, densities, etc, as seen in the 4k DCP, which is a bit different from the Bluray. The DCP is the more accurate, and is also closer to the original look of the film than that of the recorded negative, which especially via the premiere print stock, slightly lost the amount of air, just below black.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
..The OCN go GF III is S35 to 1.85, with beautiful quality imagery. It was cut and conformed single strand as opposed to A/B rolls, which would have kept all shots original...
Which to elaborate on that means that the image harvest of GF III would use the full width, (nearly) perf-to-perf, as opposed to the others which were shot in standard spherical and crop substantial width from the sides of the OCN.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Which to elaborate on that means that the image harvest of GF III would use the full width, (nearly) perf-to-perf, as opposed to the others which were shot in standard spherical and crop substantial width from the sides of the OCN.
Only the left side. Track area.

Also, keep in mind that the first two films were shot on 5254, which was released in 1968, and was basically a higher speed variant of 5251 c. 1962.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
It's too bad this set doesn't include "The Godfather Family" which was a documentary included with the Laser Disc box set.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Are you sure, because the onscreen title is "The Godfather Family" and that's also on the LD packaging.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Are you sure, because the onscreen title is "The Godfather Family" and that's also on the LD packaging.
Assuming they're recycling the same extra disc from the previous set since everything else is included then I'm absolutely positive its on there.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Question...

Is anyone holding off buying this set based on the current price point?

Amazon has it for $87. Deep Discount has it for $82.

Further price drops on Amazon could happen, but I am having problems convincing myself to purchase 3 movies at that price point.

The Indiana Jones movies were in this price range last year, but there were four films in that set.

If anyone is planning to wait for further drops throughout the year, and if so, what is your bottom price?

Me? I would buy this for $50. I am guessing it will only be a few months until it hits that price point.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Question...

Further price drops on Amazon could happen, but I am having problems convincing myself to purchase 3 movies at that price point.

The Indiana Jones movies were in this price range last year, but there were four films in that set.

If anyone is planning to wait for further drops throughout the year, and if so, what is your bottom price?

Me? I would buy this for $50. I am guessing it will only be a few months until it hits that price point.
I bought it at DD when the pricing was $65.84 and used a 10% coupon that dropped it down to $59.26 which was low enough for me. Unlike the Indy movies which I only loved one of those films. I really love two of the GF movies and liked the third film so I'm not going to haggle over getting bottom pricing for this set.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Question...

That $50 price point is exactly what I am waiting for, Ron. I expect these to get discounted later in the year. I can wait. I will not be able to watch them until May anyway.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
Encouraging to see that the AMC Dolby screenings of "The Godfather" are selling strongly, at least in the metro Boston and NYC markets. The "preview" screenings on Thursday 2/24 in those Dolby auditoriums appear to be consistently over 50% full, and in some locations approaching sellout---more than two weeks in advance. Quite a change from the last time I saw "The Godfather" in a theater, during its 25th anniversary run at a nearly empty Loews Astor Plaza in Times Square.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bill Hunt posted the following on his Facebook page:

UPDATE: My goodness! This new #4K restoration is magnificent. There’s so much more detail, more refined color. Even shots that on the previous Blu-ray looked crushed or blown out have more detail and nuance now. It’s not an exaggeration to say that this is a night and day upgrade vs. the original Blu-ray edition. A stunning restoration! Well done, Andrea Kalas, James Mockoski, and everyone at American Zoetrope, Paramount, and Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging. Special props also to Robert A. Harris for his 2007 restoration, which was the foundation for this work. Here’s your #UltraHD release of the year, folks.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Imagine anybody caring what Bill Hunt thinks in any year since 2004.

I don't think that's a fair statement.

Bill Hunt has enjoyed a very healthy following of readers since his site came online around the same time we did back in 1997. He runs a very reputable news site with an excellent staff of contributors. He has decades of review experience under his belt so he certainly qualifies as an authority when providing an opinion of a 4k transfer.

Judging from the very enthusiastic feedback I see on Internet discussion groups (including Facebook) when he posts anything, I get the strong sense that he's still very much relevant today as he was 25 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks