What's new

Quartermass 2/Quartermass and the Pit (1 Viewer)

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Wow -- I did a search, and there was only one mention of "Quatermass." And even then, it was in passing. At any rate, I'm thinking of picking these up. How do they look/sound? Are they good movies?

Oopsss... I mis-spelled Quatermass. That's why I didn't get any hits... :b

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The DVDs are very nice - Q2 is presented properly in full-frame and is very smooth-looking. Aside from some minor damage at the beginning, the print is very clean. Sound is mono and very good.

Q&tP is widescreen (not enhanced for 16x9, unfortunately). Picture is good (some slight artifacting), sound is good (it has a 5.1 remix that sounds a little funky at times, I don't remember if the original mono is included).

I think both movies are excellent. A nice mix of cerebral science fiction and action. Nigel Kneale's stories are well-served by the films.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'll second what Peter said.
Now where the heck is the Quatermass Xperiment dvd? :frowning:

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
They are both good...

Q2's plot is better in my opinion, with it's paranoia/conspiracy feel.

QatP is good up to a point, but I think the plot becomes a bit muddled in the end, leaving some plot points unexplained (I may have to watch it again to try a figure it out).

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
Might be worth mentioning that the original b&w TV series of QatP is available on DVD here in the UK.

I haven't bought the DVD, so I can't comment on the picture or sound quality, but this is 1957 TV series released by a small company, so I wouldn't expect too much in the way of restoration.

However, I do have the old VHS edition, and the series itself is excellent. The story and dialogue are very similar to that of the film, but the longer running time allows a more leisurely pace and greater characterisation. My teenage son watched it after I described it as the X-Files done in the style of Hartnell's Dr Who. And, yes, he enjoyed it.

In all, this is well worth purchasing (if you can play R2 PAL), and even if you already have the movie then the series makes a wonderful companion piece.

Perhaps Anchor Bay could licence it for an R1 double bill with the movie?

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I own 'em both. I find both films compelling, and the DVD's are fine. There is a commentary track on Q&tP by the director and writer - quite lively considering they sound to be about 90 years old.....

IvanT

Agent

While definitely being PAL, the DVD is in fact region free, and states so clearly on the box too. However, it also says that the program is in "COLOUR", but it most definitely isn't--the series was shot in black & white.

I

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks