What's new

PS3 Price Drop - $499 (1 Viewer)

Lin Park

Second Unit
Looks like Amazon has jumped the gun ... they are also throwing in a remote and a free movie ... quite tempting.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Pretty sweet deal. Quality Blu-ray-player (24fps, HDMI 1.3, upscaling, etc) and game console for that price is not bad at all. PS3 sales will definitely go up. I hope that the Europe will follow soon.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I would expect MS to cut the price of the 360 that has been out for over 18 months. As far as the elite goes, a fairly limited production system, and certainly not the main selling 360, I would expect that will also have to have some price adjustments. With the new 65nm chip sets beginning production for the 360, it seems like perfect timing for MS.

But I would not expect to see it immediatly. I think MS will sit back a month or so and watch the sales figures of the PS3 and 360 before announcing price reductions.

James St

Supporting Actor
If you sign up for a Sony card at Sonystyle.com you get $100 off your first purchase. That could get a 60GB PS3 for $400 with 5 free BD movies.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I didn;t really like the 5 free movies selection.. I might add that the toshiba 5 free movies were the same way.. not anything to get excited about.

Jacob

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
The HD DVD selection was larger than the BD selection, but I agree, neither were much to crow about.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I watched the E3 MS Press conference in it's entirety. There as no statement from MS that they were not cutting the price of the XBox. It just was not discussed one way or the other.

And, what the heck, up until 4 or 5 days ago, Sony stated that there was no price cut in the immediate future of the PS3. How things can change in a few days. I would not expect MS to announce any cuts until they see if the PS3 sales are helped to any degree with their price cuts. I personally tend to think any boost in PS3 sales will be minor and short lived.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

I took Peter Moore's statement at the end of the conference about "our cards are on the table" in reference to the lineup of games to mean there isn't a need for a price drop. While I'd love to see it drop in price, I do find myself agreeing with him on that note. Sony HAD to lower the PS3 price, its great as a BD player but where the hell are the games? I know some are coming up, but dang that's a weak lineup to date.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I think this means pretty much what I posted earlier. MS will take a wait and see stance on the price cut to see how it effects the PS3 sales. And if the Wii, which is a much more serious threat to MS, continues to grow at it's current pace, MS will be forced to drop the price. With the 65 mn chip sets coming on line soon, and the fact that analysts have placed a cost to manufacture of under 350.00 for the Elite system, MS can certainly afford to match the 100.00 price cut on the Elite, and at least a 50 to 75 dollar price cut on the other 360's.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Looks like the Sony price drop is going to be short lived as they are discontinuing the 60Gb model in favor of only producing the $100 more expensive 80Gb. Stupid move in my opinion.

Source

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Yep. I just read this too. Well, I'm not sure how good an idea this is for Sony. I would imagine that in the short-term this will boost sales of the 60GB PS3 through the holidays, especially since you're arguably getting the better of the two available players for $100 less. This should also help BD media sales (games and movies) during the same timeframe. For Sony, at least there won't be multiple SKUs out there for too long. By the time the 60GB version is sold out, it'll be into next year and the price for the 80GB version may drop down to $499.99 in time for the next holiday season.

Personally, I bought mine for BD and stand-alone game play, so a larger HD that limits PS2 compatibility is not a "winnging combination" for me. So, I am happy to get a second BD player and gaming console for our family room, where I had neither previously, for $100 less. Now the kids will truly be spoiled when watching what little family-oriented entertainment there is on BD. :D

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I think if one wants a PS3, it is now or never. The 60GB unit looks to be the best buy on the market for the PS3 and that will probably be available in limited qty. only. Hope the stores at least clean the dust off of them before moving them from the back racks to the sales floor.:)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Well of course they have an adequate supply. Sony stated that they produced 5.5 million PS3's (I am not certain how that breaks down between the US and Europe models) and to date have only sold 3.5 million consoles. That leaves nearly 2 million consoles sitting on shelves or wherehouses to be sold. Talk about making a silk purse from a sow's ear.:D

Derekz

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek Handelong
I plan on getting a PS3 to complete the collection (I have an xbox 360 and a Wii...both good systems). I like that it plays Blu-Ray, DVD and CD's. I also really wanna play Motorstorm and am interested into what "Home" has to offer come this Fall. $500 sounds pretty good for a blu-ray player that plays next-gen games.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks