What's new

Sony Blu-ray player drops to $500, now cheaper than PS3 (1 Viewer)

London Lawson

Second Unit
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/05/so...aper-than-ps3/

he Sony BDP-S300 Blu-ray player has been dropped $100 in price to $499, putting it below the price of the PlayStation 3.

Sony, who once touted the PS3 as the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market, has appeared to have crossed off its own talking point. But if priced the same, the BDP-S300 would be a tough sale against the game console, whose only apparent benefit is quieter hardware.

We don't want to suggest the PS3, now with only one model in North America, may drop below the $600 threshold, but the Blu-ray player's reduced price may indicate that the manufacturing costs for Blu-ray components have lowered, making the console less of a loss leader for Sony.

The High Definition disc format is still competing against the Toshiba-backed HD-DVD for market share. The cheapest standalone HD-DVD player still costs $100 ($200 this Father's Day) less than the BDP-S300.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Where did you learn to do math? And can I use that wizardry on my tax forms? :)

Cheers,

Jason

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
I was referring to the fact that the Toshiba A2 is sold for $299 - which is $200 cheaper than $499. Not $100 cheaper. I have no idea what the Father's Day sales will bring.

And I was not taking any kind of rib at you - but at the writer of the article. Sorry for the confusion. I was really just having a bit of fun. That's why the smiley face was there.

Cheers,

Jason

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
In fairness to the original writer of this piece, it was written in early June, almost six weeks before the PS3 price drop.

Audio28

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard Nguyen
Isn't the ps3 $499 now? I remember seeing it at circuit city with a free controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks