What's new

Polk speaker question (1 Viewer)

jackbur23

Agent
Real Name
Jackie
I've done some more research and was wondering which of these two models would best match my current setup: FXI a6 (6 1/2 inch surround speakers) Rti bookshelf speakers I currently have the blackstone package (TL2600) and the RTI 8's. I am going to upgrade the center channel to CSI A6 though so I'm wondering which of the remaining speakers listed above would give me the best sound...thank you.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Two things to consider. First, the RTiA series replaced the RTi series about two years ago. The new A series has a curved cabinet and isn't quite as bright as the older RTi series. I had RTi8's, a CSi5 and a pair of RTi6's and 4's a few years ago. The proper center channel for the RTi8's is the CSi5 but the RTiA6 is supposed to work well enough. As for the surrounds, again, the FXi5 or RTi4's/6's would be the proper match for the RTi8's but the RTiA's can also be used. If you're going to put the surround speakers directly to the side of the listening position then the FXi series would work very well, especially for movies/tv. If they are going to be placed behind the listening position then bookshelves would be O.K.. I use bookshelves myself because they are placed behind the seating position and I also feel bookshelves are better for surround sound music which I listen to quite often. Bookshelves are also quite a bit cheaper, and I can be quite a bit cheap myself :blush:. Bi-Pole/Di-Pole surround speakers are better for movies when placed to the sides of the listening position because your ears will be in-between the sound waves the speaker produces which is called the null area and enchances the surround sound experience. With traditional bookshelves the sound wave is coming directly at you. As I've mentioned before, Fry's has had the older RTi speakers on-sale recently. If you have one near you go inside and see what they have.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You want to try and keep all the speakers timbre matched, so I'd stay with the RTi bookshelf speakers, to match the RTi floorstanding speakers you have. The CSi A6 should be a good match too. I'm not familiar with the F/X series. Enjoy.............

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks