What's new

Stupid question from an old man! (1 Viewer)

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
I've been out of the know for awhile now. I need to replace all my home theater speakers, (except my SVS sub).

Here's the question: Can I use Dolby Atmos speakers, such as the Polk Audio Monitor XT90 as my rear surrounds?

Thanks!
Dave

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can hang them on the rear wall like a regular speaker, so you can use them, but there are much, much better options.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You could certainly try, but not sure why you would want/choose that over something w/ fuller range. Also, looks like those specific kind are designed for ceiling bounce and probably have fixed angling that may or may not be desirable for how you'll set them up.

IF you simply want something low profile that can be hung/attached to walls, there are probably still better options like the ELAC on-wall ones (that are currently on sale for not that much more)...

_Man_

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
You could certainly try, but not sure why you would want/choose that over something w/ fuller range. Also, looks like those specific kind are designed for ceiling bounce and probably have fixed angling that may or may not be desirable for how you'll set them up.

IF you simply want something low profile that can be hung/attached to walls, there are probably still better options like the ELAC on-wall ones (that are currently on sale for not that much more)...

_Man_
I'm looking at Elac: Debut 2.0 for fronts and center, and the Debut 2.0 Atmos Module Speakers -DA42 for surrounds.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm looking at Elac: Debut 2.0 for fronts and center, and the Debut 2.0 Atmos Module Speakers -DA42 for surrounds.
I'm not sure why you're intent on using reflecting Atmos speakers for surrounds, but that's not what they're designed for. The ideal choice for surrounds in the Debut line is either regular bookshelf models like the B5.2 or B6.2, or wall mounting ones like the OW4.2.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Assuming you don't already own the Polks I have the same question as the rest here. If you're replacing [buying new] speakers what is the incentive of using the Polks vs the ELAC Debut 2.0 surrounds which cost roughly the same? Actually, even if you do already own the Polks it's a bad idea.

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
I guess that's why I was asking, I didn't know about the Atmos speakers. Now, thanks to you guys, I do. Thank you!
I ended up with the ELAC B6.5 for fronts, the B6.5 Center, B5.5 for surrounds, and the Debut 2.0 Atmos Module Speakers.

YANG

Screenwriter
I'm not sure why you're intent on using reflecting Atmos speakers for surrounds, but that's not what they're designed for... ...
those speakers are eventually, speakers with drivers fixed into a specially measured angular box for the convenience of placing on top of the front channel speakers or the rear. due to specific measurement, that's why they're little costly to manufacture...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks