What's new

Wireles speakers connecting to receiver (1 Viewer)

rebornman

Auditioning
Real Name
jimbo jones
Hello all. I currently own the Denon AVR-S920W. I have seven speakers connected to my receiver, which I love, but I want the outer speakers to be wireless. I am tired of seeing wires and bulky speakers on my wall. My question is: Which wireless speakers (in the cheaper price range) work best with my system, and how do I set them up? I saw little about it in the owner's manual. I would appreciate any feedback you can give me. Thank you.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The least expensive solution would be this kit that would allow you to still use your existing speakers:

Rocketfish Wireless Rear Speaker Kit: $149.99

1705533385770.png
1705533421281.png 1705533449250.png

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I am tired of seeing wires and bulky speakers on my wall.

Well, wireless isn’t going to remedy speaker boxes on the wall. The only solution for that would be in-wall speakers with wiring run inside the wall.

Aside from that, wireless in general is oversold these days, at least as far speakers go. It’s basic physics: Wireless speakers require built-in electronics like an amplifier and wireless receiver. Electronics require power.

You have only two options for that. One is plugging them into the wall – with a cable. And unlike speaker cable, power cables aren’t easily hidden inside walls.

With brings us to the other option. If you truly want wireless, that means battery powered speakers. Does the prospect of having to re-charge them all the time sound appealing? Or having them die in the middle of a program you’re watching? Physics limit their wattage ratings drastically, as wattage (at least in this case) is a multiplier of available voltage. These batteries don’t have high voltage figures.

The next thing to get past is the idea that you can pull this off for cheap. Your cheapest option is likely the Rocketfish system Todd linked, and you’re still going to have speaker wire to deal with. And, it only has 25 watts per channel and terrible specs overall (Signal-to-noise ratio, for example, is only 87 dB A-weighted, an inferior standard for noise).

Beyond that, prices only go up in a hurry. Options for better wireless transmitter / receiver systems will include only those two components, requiring an outboard amplifier that would have to be purchased and located somewhere in the back of the room. With speaker wire run to the speakers.

Current Denon AVR options have their HEOS system available for the rear speakers (I think HEOS is only for multiroom with your particular Denon model). So there you have the cost of a new AVR, plus the wireless HEOS speakers which cost $200 each, which have to be plugged into the wall. If it turns out you think they sound bad, tough luck – it’s a closed system. You can’t use any other wireless speakers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks