What's new

Polk R15s on sale again... (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sorry. But not yet. My son's baseball and work are keeping me from the HT. Hopefully this weekend.

I actually did get to watch one film, however. But Marty (of all things) didn't really put the ol' R30s through their paces (if you know what I mean).

Don't ask...my mother-in-law is visiting...

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Master and Commander makes for a fine demo disk, assuming that you have a subwoofer. The surrounds are mostly used to simulate every creaking timber of the Surprise. The subwoofer? Well, there are cannons...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sadly, there are no Polk speakers currently on sale at outpost.com. But just 'em a few minutes... :D

Actually, I couldn't even find the R30 Towers on the site at all. :frowning:

I have finally had the opportunity to spend some quality time with my new set-up: The R30 towers in front and R-15s in the rear. I have maintained the jensen center channel and powered subwoofer.

First. Jeremy: The dts Master & Commander is my all-time personal favorite demo track, too!

I spun up in the past few days: M&C, Eagles: Hell Freezes Over (dts) and Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (dts). It was my first time with Narnia (movie and DVD both).

The improvement from my current speakers to these new Polks is vast. Most of what I am experiencing I kinda nailed in my earlier posts. The sound is so much more full and rounded. There is so much more bass being pulled out throughout the room (rather than just from the subwoofer channel) and the clarity seems quite improved as well. The use of surrounds in the Narnia battlescene was quite active and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing the battle take place all around me with such life!

I actually purchased the Eagles disc (DVD-A format) just because I've read so many reviews about the sound quality. I was not disappointed. For a live disc, the recording and mix are quite good. What a lot of fun to crank up the Hotel California track! :D

I'm going to guess that John & Reginald and some of you others probably have quite a bit more of an investment in your system and speakers than I do. But considering my current circumstances, these budget-line Polks get a big thumbs up from me! :emoji_thumbsup: Thanks to you both and others for all the posts and advice.

RickB

Grip
I read thru all these posts and felt that I should reply. I have had the R30's for mains and the R15's for surrounds for about a year and a half, maybe longer. I had the CSI25 for my center, but have moved that to the rear center after getting a CSI40 as main center. As many here, I was most impressed with the speakers. I believe I paid around $200 for the R30's, but I got the R15's on a two-day Circuit City sale for about $69 for the pair. I got the centers online via eBay for pretty good prices at the time. It seems the R30's and the R50's go on and off sale with regularity. You just have to be watching. R50's on eBay are going for around $200 with high shipping, like $69.

Now I have been thinking of getting the R50's and moving my R30's to the rears, but I have to say I don't think there would be a big difference. If I could get R50's for the sale prices you guys have listed here, I might be tempted. I still don't know if I would, because I am just about finished doing some remodeling, which includes building my Panny set into the wall for a flush-mount, and I don't think my new setup will be conducive to standing speakers for the rears, however, the R15's will fit in alright.

Rambling on, but I did want to chime in on the quality of these speakers. I know I have alittle more $$$ in mine than what you can get them for now, but I will tell you that for what I paid, which for all was way under the normal retails, these speakers just perform admirably. Funny, I just watched Master and Commander a week or so ago, and just let the volume rip, great track for that. I am using an RCA sub that I had from my old and first small cube surround system, although I have been eyeing the SVS ultra 10 at its current approx. $400. That's what I will probably get instead of the R50's, so I can let the base rock.

I am no audiophile but I am no amateur and I love these speakers. It's just a great setup for the money. When people come watch DvD's in my home theatre, they are just astounded. I have had some think I have a fortune wrapped up in the equipment, I certainly have some invested there, but the real $$$ are in the DvD's in my collection.

Nice to see a thread on these speakers, the R brand, after they have been out for so long. If I had the cash I would certainly be looking at the Polk speakers in the next levels above these, I think they are the Rti series. I have heard good about those as well. But this setup sounds so nice I just can't see getting anything else. Now off to read that link on the comparison between the 30's and the 50's.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Mike,

I'm glad you are happy with your Polk speakers. Fry's has the Csi25 center speaker on sale for 49.00 at their store in Downers Grove, IL if you are considering replacing the Jensen center. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I could be convinced at that price! I truly think the Jensen center sounds great and holds its own with the new Polks. But with the improvement I got from adding the Polks at the mains and rears, at that price I would jump on it. Alas, there are no Fry's stores anywhere near me. That might be good for my wallet! ;) I think I saw the Csi25 on Outpost in recent weeks for $69.99.

Do CC or BB sell the Csi25? Maybe it goes on sale there on occasion?

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I just ordered a pair of the R50's sight unseen. They look nice in the picture, hopefully they sound good too. Now I just need to figure out where to use them. =). Whoops.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I just clicked for a pair of R50's for under $185 shipped-thanks gents!
Now I just need, four rear surrounds and the center.
Hope they go on sale soon too!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A couple more satisfied customers (hopefully)!

This is cool.

I watched Coach Carter with my son last night and the rather "urban" soundtrack gave the new Polks quite a workout! Tonight I cranked some samplings from Shawshank Redemption. The score and sfx as Red walked out to the field after he was released to get Andy's gift was just terrific.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
:D Glad you guys are making good use of the Fry's deals. I'll keep my eyes open for the next round of sales.

Yes, I spent a lot more on my system than that, but that is neither here nor there, since the purpose of HTF is really to help others build a system they're happy with (and doing it for as little money as possible is never a bad thing :D )

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Im excited. Cant wait for these things to come, Im curious to see how these compare with my Fluance SV-10's. I may have new mains. If the msrp is any indicater. (granted it usually isnt, but I have high hopes)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jimi: Bet they show up either today or tomorrow for you! When I ordered my two pair from outpost.com in both instances the speakers showed up just two days later! :emoji_thumbsup: Good luck!

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Hey, your right. I just checked the Airborne Express tracking page and the estimated delivery date is tomorrow! Thats the fastest shipping ever! I just hope a signiture isnt required because I dont think ill be home during the day tomorrow. Im glad I didnt pay the extra $25 for 2 day delivery. haha.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Well, I got them today. (Polk R50's) Im very impressed by the fit and finish. The wood laminates are very well done and the build quality seems excellent, such as you would expect from a name like Polk. I prefer the look of them (with the grills off) over my Fluance.
That said, not being an audiophile I was initially quite impressed with these towers. (I listened to John Mayer Trio's live Cd which is something im quite familiar with) However, after switching back to my Fluance SV-10's I began to change my mind. The Fluance are pretty much better sonically in every aspect imo. Im not very good with audio lingo, But I would say that the Fluance sound much more natural, less harsh in the high end, clearer midrange and the Bass is tighter and goes deeper. Still, keeping in mind that I paid 2x more for the Fluance, I would say these Polks are a great deal and I have no regrets. These speakers will be a great upgrade over the Sonys we have in the family room, they are just not quite up to snuff with my Fluance to replace them in my mini basement home theater.

Edit: I should add that I didnt give them alot of time to break in and things could change. I will Make edits if necessary. They dont look half bad sitting next to my fluance, so Ill give them a few more days of use and see what happens before I lug these guys back upstairs.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I got mine today too :) But I just wish dhl would not leave them on the porch :frowning:
Testing now, for the price we payed these cannot be beat, IMHO.:emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Todd & Jimi: Etiquette of this thread dictates you gotta give us more on what you think of your new Polks! ;)

After you've given them a good listenin'-to, that is! :D

BTW...the R50s are now nowhere to be seen at Outpost. The pair of R15s is now at $129.98...and the black R30s are $99.90 apiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks