What's new

Polk R15s on sale again... (1 Viewer)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Mike Frezon wrote:

"If you would care to elaborate on your comment any further...it, too, would go a long way for me. Thanks!"

Mike, I am 99% sure you will be happy. Suffice to say I set three of these up L/C/R for someone with a front projector and 92" screen. Did I mention they Rock?
Well they do!!!! Very hard to top at twice the price. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That's a pretty impressive figure, Reginald! I appreciate the "guarantee"! I will be sure to report back in.

The R-15s got here pretty quick!

Mike scurries off to the Speaker/SubWoofer section to ask a newbie question about "breaking in" speakers.

EDIT** Ooops. Never mind. Found several old threads on the subject. Seems the subject incites passionate polar opposite opinions in people.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Mike, I have also set up a system with R15s as mains and R30s as surrounds with a Onkyo 573 reciever and Cs125 center. The system sounds great.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That seems intuitively backwards. Wouldn't most people put the R30s as the mains with the R15s as surrounds? Was it a room placement thing?

Obviously you're talking to a person who spends too much time with the software end of the hobby.... :b

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just a couple notes on this sale:

First, outpost.com has extended the sale to 4-6-2006.

Second, outpost.com has outdone themselves again. Much like when I ordered the R15s, I ordered the R30s late Monday night, got notification they shipped Tuesday, and my wife just called to tell me that I've got some VERY HEAVY speakers sitting in my house as of late this morning (Wednesday).

I also ordered the cheapest ground shipping (DHL). That is simply outstanding. :star::star::star::star::star:

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Mike Frezon wrote:

"That seems intuitively backwards. Wouldn't most people put the R30s as the mains with the R15s as surrounds? Was it a room placement thing?"

The R30s were to be the mains that all changed due to a odd room layout and smaller footprint of the R30s.

BrentJ

Second Unit
Hey Mike could you let me know how they sound before the sale ends tomorrow. If you have good things to say about them. I believe I will order me a set. Thanks

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I gotta be quick...cuz I gotta get to bed. I've been out all night with my son's baseball, wife to doctor, late dinner, etc.

Finally got home. Hooked up 30s at fronts. Moved 15s to rears.

Terrific. Just terrific. Lots more bass up front compared to the former front bookshelves and the the 15s. Very noticeable. Much brighter and expansive. The 15s in the rear really opened things up too. Before I listened to anything I ran test tones through my SPL meter. I still think I've got a bit more tweaking to do, however. For one, I think I'll be toning down the sub-woofer.

EVERYTHING sounds better. My only demos tonight were the Battle of the Heroes scene from Star Wars III, All that Jazz from Chicago (dts), a little bit of King Kong, and the opening sequence of Toy Story 2. They filled the room like its wasn't getting filled before. Very exciting!

Brent: I hate the pressure...but what I posted above is what I would have posted regardless. ;)

I'm not a professional reviewer. I'm not a true audiophile (although my wife would tell you otherwise)...but I know what I like. And after my hour or so with these speakers tonight....I "like" very much! Let me quote Reginald above: "they rock!".

**EDIT: I think the word I want to use is "full". THe sound compared to the bookshelves (with the added bass) adds a lot of fullness to the audio. Like I said earlier in the post--the sound really fills the room now. Very cool! My wife may regret letting me do this! :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:laugh: Do I want to know where you fall on that debate?!

I had a good time reading those threads. I must've sifted through about a dozen of 'em. Pretty passionate stuff.

It's killing me that I've got to be at work today...instead of home giving those new guys a workout. AND...I've got another busy night tonight, too! :frowning:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well congrats on the new speakers anyway. I'm sure you'll let us know how they do after this weekend right? :D

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
So... does anyone have any experience with the r50s?

I have a pair of Infinity RS-9s that are showing their age. Would it be a step down?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I think last time they had them on sale they had both black and cherry, but it looks like this time they're cherry only.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
John: That is amazing.

As happy as I am with the R30s and R15s, I can only imagine how much better the R50s would be. The upgrade over those Jensens is huge. I was happy before. I'm that much happier now! :D

I wish I had more to report on the R30s. The only free time I had last night I used to watch last night's episode of Survivor. It sounded great, though. There is just so much more presence...so much more natural bass. Its really cool.

But...I can only go so high. And I'm very happy with where I am right now (except for the lack of time to appreciate the new speakers. Thanks for the posts with the tips on the prices!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I know where you're coming from. I've spent multi-thousands on my gear, and I don't get to actually sit and listen to it as often as I would like. :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks