What's new

Please help with HDMI cables (1 Viewer)

I will be getting the new Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver with HDMI v1.3 inputs and built-in Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD decoding. This will be the hub for my home theater, including a Toshiba HD-DVD player, PlayStation 3 (for Blu-ray) and JVC LCoS HDTV (with one HDMI input). So I need several HDMI cables to get everything up and running. I desperately need advice on HDMI cables because I just don't trust salesmen who are plugging Monster Cables as the ONLY cables to buy but also cures for cancer.

I do not have unlimited funds, so the price/performance ratio is extremely important. Are $120+ Monster Cables really that much better? Are standard $50 HDMI cables good enough? Should I choose something in between?

Should I also consider the fact that I don't exactly have the most advanced equipment? I mean, if I don't have a $50,000 projector and a $10,000 pre-amp will the upgrade to Monster Cables even be noticeable?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
monoprice.com is an excellent source of inexpensive AND reliable HDMI cables. I've had three of their 2 meter HDMI cables installed in my HT for some time now - no problems. They cost approximately $6 (that's six dollars) each - stay away from Monster's!!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Monster cables are over 50% mark up so salesmen push them.

Digital signals are very insensitive to the 'quality' of the cable. Long runs of analog component cables - you should buy respected cables, but not retail ones.

My favorite place is www.bluejeanscables.com. Good prices and the owner is a member here and takes care of us. You cant check the tweeks and connections form for many discussions and lots of happy customers.

Thanks, guys!

These are excellent sources that I might not have found otherwise. If I need a cable I usually just go to Best Buy, but when I went shopping there the other day I just KNEW there had to be a more affordable way to buy these. I mean, HDMI is just a digital bitstream.

The one positive thing I will say about Monster Cables is that they really do make superior instrument cables. I play guitar and record music and I have tried many different brands of 1/4" guitar cables. The Monster Rock line of cables are some of the best I have ever used and do have a very noticeable boost in quality over cheapie cables. My guitars, amp, effects, pedals and looper are all interconnected with Monster Rock cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks