What's new
World Wide Stereo

Please help me choose a receiver / speaker combination (1 Viewer)

Z28

Grip
Real Name
Timmy
This is what I'm looking at...PLEASE recommend something else if you think it's better for me.

1. Receiver - Yamaha RX V995
2. Speakers - NS-SP1600

I listen to a lot of music, yet I kinda want something for movies too. Is 5.1 the way to go. I have no idea what to get for speakers. Will this receiver and speaker combo be ok?

Price:

I'm looking to spend around $200 but no more than $300 for sure and that's for everything.

Features:

All I want to do is be able to hook up my ipod, and 360 to it, and maybe my laptop. So I'll need a few inputs as well. Equalizers are nice, but more than likely I'll be happy with anything. Oh it's gotta be black

Application:

Small dorm room, but I'll need it for a bigger room for when I move out.

Sound:

I'm looking for quality more than quantity, but I still want to crank it without distortion.

728x90
Real Name
Andrew Smith
Yamaha has (had?) some nice "HT in a box" systems. I would check them out. Just go listen to stuff before you make a decision. You want for your minimal investment to carry you as far as possible.

Why don't you just get a reciever and stereo speakers? You will probably be able to get more for your money than if you bought all the 5.1 system. Just a thought

Z28

Grip
Real Name
Timmy

Yes, I was thinking of getting a 2.1 set up i'm glad you chimed in...do you recommend any speakers that sound great for around 100-150.

Real Name
Andrew Smith
I haven't looked in that price range at all, but I'm sure you can get something. I would check online and then go to best buy / circuit city / etc.

Listen to em Listen to em Listen to em

2.1 would be great - especially since you're in a dorm

Paul Mor

Stunt Coordinator
If you have a Fry's nearby, they often have good sales on speakers. I've seen both Polk and JBL for really good prices. Another option would be an open box item at Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. Try to get them for even less than the open box price. A third option would be to buy used...you'll get more for your money, but you obviously run a risk of hooking up with a less than honest seller.

You mention 5.1 and 2.1, but I don't see any mention of a sub. Do you already have one?

I do agree with the two-channel recommendation.

Z28

Grip
Real Name
Timmy

Oh my....I always thought .1 stood for the sub. I'm guessing that stands for the center speaker? Crap, i guess I don't know much about audio at all.

Yes I do want a sub. I'll probably go with 2 speakers and sub like all of you have recommended. That's what I have now, but it puts out like 10-15 watts total and I really want some good bass and sound quality.

No Fry's, and circuit city closed down where I thought it was, I'll have to go find the new one. There has to be on in town.

I've always had good luck with used, so I'll probably go with used like you said. I'll probably listen to some and best buy, I know where one of those is and then i'll probably buy from ebay.

Real Name
Andrew Smith

Your original inclination was correct. the ".1" does stand for the sub. I should have mentioned something about it in my original post to you. My thought is this. For only $150 to $200 you're going to have a difficult time finding a 2.1 system that sounds decent. Personally, I would try to get a pair of nice sounding loudspeakers with good low end. I think that this would be sufficient for your purposes. Probably don't have any need for the sub in the dorm IMO.

Z28

Grip
Real Name
Timmy

What's your opinion on these. I see the reviewers seemed to really like them. I could just get a good receiver and these could do the trick. What do you think?

SDAT Hi-Fi Floor Standing Speaker Set

The price seems to good to be true though...

Sorry the link won't work cuz I don't have 10 posts yet. But they are floor standing speakers. Just type in the name and google it and you can find the reviews I was talking about. The price was $90 on site I wanted to provide to url to...sorry

Real Name
Andrew Smith
Well, the price is certainly right. It looks like, from what I read of a few reviews, that they sound decent as well. However, I've never heard of the company before and would personally be wary of the manufacturing (made in China / made in Mexico / made in Taiwan).

Can you hear them before you make the purchase? Or would you only be able to order them online?

If you are not going to be able to hear them first I would advise against the purchase. Just because it would suck if they didn't match your expectation.

Z28

Grip
Real Name
Timmy

I'd only be able to order them online. I live in Nebraska and there really isn't anywhere to go but a best buy to look at electronics or speakers for that matter.

LEB-404 is the model and LEB-405 are the speakers you could add on to make it a complete surround sound....then I could always get any sub when I move out of the dorms. I guess the reviews really influenced me and I have no where to go to try out systems except best buy and there are like 10 systems tops there. I really don't think 400-700 dollars is acceptable for a surround sound system. Their prices are sky high for what you are getting, so I'll never go that route.

If it's going to be really difficult for me to find a good system in my price range, I guess I'll be willing to spend more. I just want the best system for the money and for my application....small room for now. So is there a really good setup out there for a decent price?

Real Name
Andrew Smith
If the money isn't an issue I would be purchasing from a trusted brand, personally.

What about Klipsch man? For the money, I think that they are some of the best speakers you can buy.

Real Name
Andrew Smith
You know, I guess I never checked out the speakers that you originally posted up. I would get those before I would purchase the loudspeakers that you posted up. I trust Yamaha. They make really quality products.

Go with your original post - order it online and I think you'll be ok for your application.

Plus the amp will give you some breathing room if you ever do decide to upgrade the speakers

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
you'd be hard pressed to beat this speaker for $100. you're not gonna find good bass in this budget either but if it's really a priority, you could try some sony or pioneer 3 way speakers from bb or cc (cc has a better selection of 2 cannels receivers IMO too). otherwise, up your budget and for $280 get the monitor audio b-2's from saturday audio in chicago. these speakers get down to the respectable low 40hz range, better than most speakers of any size at this price - and they sound very good too. saturday audio will also sell you a solid used integrated amp or receiver - even in black. they should have plenty in the sub $200 range.

good luck

Paul Mor

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't mean to confuse you about the .1, but I see that it's been cleared up.

As has been mentioned, the speakers from your original post would probably serve you well..or the Athena's that Maxl linked would be good.

If your able to up the budget a bit, check out the Onkyo HTiB at crutchfield.com. If you can find something "Scratch and Dent", you can save a little too. A friend of mine just bought the HTS 790 and it actually sounds really good. I think he gave about $350 tax, shipping, etc. That is a little more than you planned to spend, but there are less expensive Onkyo systems.

Here's a link: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ONMSMA3...?g=37600&cc=07

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Why not check out ebay or audiogon for some gently used speakers. Maybe pick up some used paradigm atoms, or titans. I also second the klipsch reference bookshelves. I had a paradigm pdr-10 in my dorm room, and while it was fun, i was always getting yelled at. So make your own judgment call there. But i would def buy used, because a couple scratches on some dorm speakers are not going to matter. For reciever i think the low end Onkyo recievers provide an awsome value, like the SR-503, it can also be picked up on ebay for pretty cheap. And then just use your dvd player with optical out for cd's and mp3 cds, or connect your computer to the reciever using the headphone out jack with an RCA converter.

Z28

Grip
Real Name
Timmy
Yes! I can post urls

New Athena Audition AS-B1.2 Bookshelf Speakers Pair
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Athena-Audit...QQcmdZViewItem

I'll look at everything else when I get time, which will be late tonight or tomorrow. Thx for all the recommendations. I just thought I'd post my find since you recommended these speakers.

Found this too:
Onkyo HT-S790 Black 7.1 Home Theather System
http://cgi.ebay.com/Onkyo-HT-S790-Bl...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not shy of ebay at all and this is probably where I'll buy my stuff. I've always had good luck and if it doesn't work like they say it should. Well that's only happened once and I got a refund.

Paul Mor

Stunt Coordinator
The good thing about the Onkyo is that if/when you want to upgrade the sub...you can. Add an SVS to that system and you'd be VERY happy.

Sorry, didn't mean to start talking about upgrading before you ever even get your system:)

Good Luck.

Z28

Grip
Real Name
Timmy

Well I'm forced to live in the dorms for 2 more years. The reason I don't want a great system is cuz it'll be too tempting to turn up the volume. So I just needed something cheap and great sounding to tie me over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks