What's new

Wiring My house... Suggestions Please (1 Viewer)

Pat Septon

Auditioning
Ok.... My entertainment centre has always been a focus in my house. But recently due to a flood, I am now in the mood to wire the house right.
What I have.
2 Satellite Receivers
1 Cable Connection
2 Audio/Video Receivers (off the shelf stuff nothing fancy)
1 VCR
1 DVD
5 Disk CD Player.. tape... 2 Radios

Now I want to run everything from 1 centre. Currently I have a system up stairs and 1 down stairs. I want to hook the wiring up to 5 rooms, and some outside. I already started with the High Speed Computer Hookups.

I want:
To watch tv in any of the 5 rooms (granted I can only watch 3 different things at any given time due to lack of Satellite receivers)
Listen to a radio station in any room
listen or watch to any combination of each. (remember it is just me and my wife.. there are not going to be to many combinations...)

If you can only hook up your dvd player to 1 receiver... how do I get it so that it hooks to both? Do I use a splitter... how do I connect it to the wall? IS there a "Cheap" control panel already out there. What will I use for Inferred remote control so I can switch CD's if I so choose from the garage?
What and how many wires will I need. I currently count
1 Coax, 2 Video, 2 pair speaker wire (I only want surround in the main room, elsewhere I only want 2 speakers, maybe 3). What type of control boxes will I need per room to control sound and video choices?

My wife won't let me spend much... she hates this idea. So what is the "Cheapest" Suggestions out there... because I know with money anyone can do anything... But we have to spend our money re-finishing the basement from the water damage.

Thanks for your help

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Now I want to run everything from 1 centre.
This is a good plan of action. Home Depot and others sell an 'all in one' cable which contains phone lines, speaker cable, coax & Cat5 in one bundle. Run one of these to each room. When budget permits terminate the ends with the appropriate wall jack. I use the modular wall jacks (where you can have multiple low voltage connections in one gang box). Leviton and others sell large connection boxes. You'll mount your various equipment (router, phone splitter, coax distributor) in this box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnthinkableSol
Recent bookmarks