What's new

Please FINISH Peyton Place on DVD! *Official Thread* (1 Viewer)

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Originally Posted by AlanP /forum/thread/282558/my-dream-came-true-peyton-place-on-dvd-this-may-from-shout-entertainment/360#post_3612694
[SIZE= larger][COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]Maybe, Fox let SHOUT do the first two boxes to see how they sold and now maybe FOX will pick up the series and clean up some of the episodes. And include the UNRELEASED PILOT with the CROSS family. I AM SURE WE WOULD ALL LOVE TO SEE THIS as it is a FAITHFUL ADAPTATION to the film and book.
Didn't something like this happen with "BEVERLY HILLBILLIES" and Paramount came in with the second season and is releasing them now. And the same thing with "DYNASTY" started with FOX and now it resides with Paramount.
Only time will tell !!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]​
Alan-
I don't think Fox is terribly impressed with the number of units sold... However, for a smaller company like Shout sales have been good, and they want to continue to release the discs. They need to get rights from Fox however, to proceed. I can only hope a resolution will be reached sooner than later!
Jack

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
[SIZE= larger][COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Way, back didn't someone post, that SHOUT had licensed all of the BLACK AND WHITE episodes up to Mia Farrow's departure from the series ?? Anyone, recall that by any chance ??
Thanks !!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
HI Guys back I am I beat the big C. I am clean but 2 months recovery. I feel so gratefull to all for prayers and well wishs Alan Jack Charles Sue Ellen MelloYello Faircake to whom I am very humble. Cake My God all you have been thru and to think of me words cannot say it except thankyou so very much! Also thanks to everyone else!!! I see we have been busy Jack and Alan and we have Tim. Welcome and I see another strong voice in you. Please let us all hear more voices and those I listed who were with us at the start. Yes Alan I think a reporter said Shout had rights to the show. Tim I have always loved the scores for Peyton Place. The Character Themes are great. Varaitons were used on Bettys theme Rod and Allison even Connies I believe. Well Guys I do not have a lap top so bye for now. Keep that energy going for Peyton Place showing Shout we are behind them. Thanks once more to everyone!!!

Mark

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
[COLOR= #ff0000]Mark,
[/COLOR][COLOR= #ff0000]Glad to hear that FANTASTIC news that you are on the MEND !!![/COLOR][COLOR= #ff0000]Will keep sending WARM POSITIVE HEALING ENERGY YOUR DIRECTION!!!
I started Box two, so I am going to slow down watching the series as there is nothing
in the pipeline as of yet.
FEEL GOOD and WE ARE ALL THINKING ABOUT YOU !!!
Alan[/COLOR]

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hey Alan my Good Buddie thanks for the great welcome back!!! The energy you spoke of I am sure is doing its work. I was looking in and missed your comments. I hope nothiing was wrong while you were gone. You said it right though the slow down on Peyton Place watching I had hoped not to happen. I do not want to see us lose new fans and old while waiting for Fox and Shout to works things out. Mean while Alan as you have done so many times with your great comments we must keep this going. Charles Dream must continue and I know all of us will help in that effort. I am convinced we helped sell some of those dvds. I sure would like to hear again from those great people we had at the start of this thread. IThe new people though are a very great victory to the show and all of us we are so happy to have you. I ment to thank Jack for the Shout Forum too. Jack is Shout saying they did not wish to be bogged down with emails on the show or did I read you wrong on that. How can we show our support if not email. Should we phone Fox Shout or both? I am glad you were there though. The fact they have not dumped the show was great to hear. I was glad to see Sue Ellen back we all enjoyed those RP synopsis so much. Sue Ellen was the town square the same and Ada's and the Peyton House?? Alan you have talked about that PP pilot before and you always make me want to see it. What is in it? Charles how was the DS convention?? Would you like to see PP go the new MPI route with DS. I have to say no but if that is all we can get. Why did MPI not put those condensed storylines in Blu-ray like Star Trek now in season 3.

Thanks again Alan for the great welcome back!!! I know I am very lucky to be here.

Mark

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)][SIZE= larger]Mark,
Glad you are posting again !!!
That long rumored PP PILOT !!!!
Well I read last summer, and if you are a PP fan, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it "INSIDE PEYTON PLACE" great book all about Grace Metalious and her book !!!
A third was planned and she died before it was completed. The pilot is mentioned in the book.
And I remember, believe it or not reading about in the paper as a kid. There was a photo Mia Farrow and Gyl Roland in the paper, talking about it coming in the fall and their respective roles as Allison and Selena. The series arrives sans Selena. Thus, I have been curious ever since. Reading the book the unaired HOUR pilot is basically the film done as a TELEVISION series. The director and his name escapes me at the moment. Was told when ABC viewed it the CROSS family were too unsavory for television. And Mike Rossi was moved from Principal to
Town Doctor. And Matt Swain was moved from Doctor to Newspaper editor, when the series arrived on television. William Self I believe was the creator for television and reportedly he did not want to let the CROSS family out of the series. However, ABC ruled and the were gone.
They brought in a veteran Soap Opera writer to get the series off the ground Irna Phillips, that created "AS THE WORLD TURNS" and others........ Maybe someone like Charles has more info.
He has a great photo with the PILOT townspeople from the unaired pilot with the CROSS FAMILY in it. The ANDERSONS are not in that photo only Betty. Maybe Charles has more info on the pilot ???[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Check post# 28 in this thread for the photo I sent of Gyl Roland with Farrow and Malone. Veteran soap writer Sam Hall, who worked on Dark Shadows, One Life to Live and Another World served as an uncredited story consultant briefly during the show's first year. Mind you, even then there was a big change in the writers (around the time of the shows in the second DVD set!) as the Elliot Carson character caught on and it was decided to keep him on and change some of the storylines to accomodate him.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Charles you are right.
You should post the photo with the entire cast, which includes Lucas and Nellie Cross,
that is a great shot in front of town hall. Several others that are in the photo that did not
make it into the final series as well. It is an excellent shot of what might have been if Irna Phillips had not trashed the pilot.............She was one of the main culprits according to the book "Inside Peyton Place"[/COLOR]

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Peyton Place the pilot that never made it. Alan thanks again I am very lucky to be here to post. The surgery was difficult but the 2 month recovery is not a bad trade off for what it could of been. I also know many of you have your own health issues so I will shut up. I do not want this forum to be updates on Marks health. Just one more time I look in and all your comments help my spirt thanks all of you!!

Jack how is the Masters coming??? I tried to read Pilgrams Progress Martin Peytons book he bought for Rod. I put it down for "The Lost Symbol"

Charles where should we go from here with Shout and Fox!! You are the Father of this thread I bet all want to hear your wisdom and what we should do.

Alan more on that pilot it intrigues me.

Sue Ellen I cannot wait to hear your great words on anything Peyton Place.

Hey welcome to two newcomers Bucky 12 and Travis R great to have you on board lets hear more

Tim I love how you had described the show I sense we have a fan who has much more to say .

We soon will have 400 Posts who would of thought lets keep the Dream Charles had going and show Shout we want that show!!!

Mark

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Great to have you back Mark... The masters is fine- just got home from a class tonight!

I too am grateful for all the folks here on the thread- The information gleaned is tremendous!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]If anyone on here is a "PP" fan and I think we all ARE !!![/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Get your hands on a used copy of "INSIDE PEYTON PLACE" the book offers so much insight to the characters and it author. There is a story about Mike Rossi's name change from the book to the film and it is quite interesting !!!
And that is just one tidbit !!!
A few considered for Constance's role was Jane Wyman and Olivia Dehavilland.
[/COLOR]

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Peyton Place fans listen to Alan as usual he is right on target! I think I mentioned this book a long time ago on this thread to Charles. The book bares repeating for all our new fans thankyou Alan!! "Inside Peyton Place" can be found at Amazon.
There is another book which logs in with all the soaps. Amzon does have it but it is to costly for me. The book is called "Prime Time Network Serials" by Bruce B Morris. There is some talk on this thread about how to find episode guides and dates for Peyton Place I was told a long long time ago that it does cotain episode guides for Peyton Place by a very commited fan.
Check around Amazon is not the only book seller on the web. There is Albris and in the Borders and Barnes Nobles and A&b books web sites I believe.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
If you read the original novel, you know very well that the Cross characters were way, way too salacious for 1960s television (LOL). There was a rape and incest storyline going on with them, and the mother was dying of "the clap." I often wonder if they could do a modern version that's closer to the book. Now, they certainly can get away with those darker storylines in today's media, but is the book actually kind of out of date? It would be interesting to see if the original story can capture as many imaginations as it did originally. I personally still enjoy both of the Metalious books, and re-read them on occasion. They remain engaging IMO. I would totally do a remake of that movie if I had a few zillion dollars lol~~

jej2252

Grip
Real Name
jerome
Originally Posted by Mark Collins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peyton Place fans listen to Alan as usual he is right on target! I think I mentioned this book a long time ago on this thread to Charles. The book bares repeating for all our new fans thankyou Alan!! "Inside Peyton Place" can be found at Amazon. There is another book which logs in with all the soaps. Amzon does have it but it is to costly for me. The book is called "Prime Time Network Serials" by Bruce B Morris. There is some talk on this thread about how to find episode guides and dates for Peyton Place I was told a long long time ago that it does cotain episode guides for Peyton Place by a very commited fan. Check around Amazon is not the only book seller on the web. There is Albris and in the Borders and Barnes Nobles and A&b books web sites I believe.
I
Is Morris's book a similar edition to the 1997 edition? I own that book and it's always next to the settee when I am watching one of these dramas.
Presume it's not worth shelling out another $75 if the book's the same.
If you don't have it and you can afford it, BUY IT!!!!!!!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]The weakest link in the film was Lee Phillips. There was no chemistry between he and Lana Turner. Rock Hudson, Kirk Douglas, or Anthony Quinn would have made much better choices. Robert Sterling was much better as Michael Rossi in the Return. [/COLOR]

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Peyton Place once again benefits from Alan's acute observation. He is right I never thought of the two Mike's in the movies. Mike from RP is a much better actor for the role. We must also remember that the I think the first PP movie was the most nominated Oscar movie in history not to win one award. The record may now have been beat I do not know. I am also sure Alan knows that one particular actor form RP movie did win an Oscar. How crazy fate is but the actor certainly deserved that Oscar.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
You're thinking of the film's director, Oscar winner Jose Ferrer! Regarding the second film: all the roles were recast for various reasons. Diane Varsi had turned her back at Hollywood, Lee Philips became a director (yes, he directed TV's Peyton Place too!), and Lana Turner was too hot at the box office )besides, she was making mucho dinero at Universal!). Gene Tiereney was first cast as Connie, but bowed out due to pregnancy (sadly, she miscarried). Before Mary Astor (another Oscar winner) was cast, both Bette and Joan were considered as Mrs. Carter. I've always felt that Bette should've been on the TV show, perhaps as Martin Peyton's sister (imagine her trading barbs with George Macready!). As Carol Lynley was already a Fox contractee, she became the new Allison.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Charles,
[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]You are right about Bette she would have made an excellent character on the series, maybe later in the series to help the sagging ratings.[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]However, in '64, she was doing the gothic horror circuit !!! She or Joan would have made great Roberta's in RP. Too bad the Carter's were ditched from the series, they would have been great characters on the show !!
I think RP, casting was all wrong for ALLISON and SELENA. I think Tuesday would have made the better Allison and Carol resembled Hope Lange in PP.[/COLOR]

SueEllen

Auditioning
Real Name
Thom
Mark so glad you are doing better!

I have Inside PP and it is a delicious read. The decline of Grace, her affairs and her relationship with her hometown and children are all very sad. It reminds me a lot of what I read about the late Shirley Jackson and her family.

Irna Phillips had planned an incest story for PP - which became a standard in the daytime realm and most oft copied by her protegee William Bell. Allison was to fall in love with her half brother, a medical student and Connie actually causes the death of Allison's father and is put on trial where all the details of Allison's birth come out. Paul Monash fought her and the network and studio sided with him and that story did not make it to air. I read all of this to in two articles on PP that appeared in TV Guide in 1965. Great stuff.

And funny talking about Bette joining PP. She was very close to Mia and ran into Mia on the Fox lot where they used the town square for the city of Hollisport on Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte. Mia had grown up into a beautiful young lady surprising Bette who had recalled her a mousy playmate of her daughter B.D. Funny too that Frank Ferguson was in HHSC as a newspaper editor!

And Fairycakes - I got your e-mail and my em has been done, but thrilled to hear you are in Maderia! Have you shopped at the new Nordstroms yet?? And ah yes those early memories of Y & R - I used to play sick from school to see the 'snowy' eps on Dayton's Channel 7!1

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I'm up to Episode 9 so far. Still watching the show on Tuesday and Thursday nights, just as it was shown 45 years ago. What I'm loving about PP is the subtlety of it all. It's obvious that Betty's pregnant, but everyone is addressing her condition so elliptically, they don't have to come right out and say it.

I'm already hating George Anderson. His behavior to Julie makes me want to punch his lights out, but the way he is around Betty just creeps me out. And the Rod and Allison romance has me completely charmed. I hope we get Part Three in the spring before I run out of episodes. As for remaking PP, I don't think it would work. While you could easily address the darker material in the novel today, the culture has changed too much. PP is all about shameful secrets, and, for better or worse, we live in a shameless time. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks