What's new

Please FINISH Peyton Place on DVD! *Official Thread* (1 Viewer)

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis /forum/thread/282558/my-dream-came-true-peyton-place-on-dvd-this-may-from-shout-entertainment/330#post_3588049
Pity there isn't a Wal-Maart in my area. Well, I can always try getting a set online.
If you're looking for the Lucy Show, I would suggest getting it from DeepDiscount during their sale -- with the coupon code DVDTALK (or others) you'll get it for $20.17 (list price: $44.95).

fairycake

Auditioning
Real Name
Eden
I have been a fan of Peyton Place for years and am thrilled to finally be able to own it on dvd!
I only wish there would be some extras added to the sets, especially the unaired pilot featuring the Cross family. I loved the character of Selena in the movie, and loved Margaret Mason bringing her to the small screen finally with the NBC series RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE, which ran in daytime from 3 April 1972--4 January 1974.
This is another series that I never missed as I was too young for the original Peyton Place, and would be over the moon if it could be included in the Peyton Place dvd sets! This is all classic telly and hopefull will be released from the vaults for us die hard Peyton Place fans to enjoy over and over again.
This is my first post and I hope to learn more about Peyton Place thru my subscription with this thread.
Ta very much for your time.
cheers and regards
Eden
x

SueEllen

Auditioning
Real Name
Thom
Eden so glad to hear there is another person who recalls the daytime version so well! That show had so much potential. I had heard there was talk of a syndication deal with Stewart Moss playing Steven, Pamela Murphy (George MacReady's real life daughter in law) playing Betty and some of the existing RTPP cast remaining. But it never happened.

Does anyone know or recall the 1979 pilot with Adam West (yes Batman) as Mike Rossi and Elaine Princi as Betty? I have never heard details of the story. I wonder if this pilot followed the events of Murder In Peyton Place?

Oh well.

And Mark - hope you recover from your surgery alright.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I just want everyone to know that barring any last-minute emergency I'll be at the Dark Shadows Festival in Elizabeth, NJ next week! Any fellow PP/DS fans going there too?

skeffington

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I just want to thank all of you for inspiring me to buy this wonderful series. I'm in the middle of Part Two right now and I'm hoping Part Three will be announced soon because I'm addicted to PEYTON PLACE.

The show has an introspective tone that I really like and the setting is beautifully realized. PEYTON PLACE looks and feels like a real town. There's a true sense of community. The acting is wonderful (Barbara Parkins was right about the cast acting with their eyes) but Henry Beckman's portrayal of George Anderson is a cut above the rest. Beckman is the ultimate scene stealer and every moment he's on screen is fascinating. I get the sense that George's story is winding down (I'm trying not to head into spoiler territory here) but hopefully I'm wrong about that. If not, there are plenty of other wonderful characters to keep me intrigued.

The writers deserve serious kudos because most of the characters, especially George, are wonderfully layered. Betty's sensitive, playful and maternal interaction with the sick little girl was quite a pleasant surprise and Parkins really played those moments to perfection.

PEYTON PLACE is also superbly photographed, scored and directed. The show really is a class act in every respect.

MelloYello

Auditioning
Real Name
Carlos
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and have been a long time PP fan but unfortunately never had the opportunity to see the series (I was born in 1968) but read many great things about it. I finally got my first taste of this legendary series when Shout! Factory released Parts One and Two in May and July and in the middle of viewing the first set I was instantly hooked! In fact I was so hooked I was worried about what I was going to do when I reached the end of the second set...no more PP until Shout! releases Part Three!

Luckily for me I found a very reputable person on line who recorded the entire uncut run when it aired on the now defunct Romance Classics Network. Normally I wouldn't make such a purchase. I've heard horror stories of rip offs concerning television show boots and of almost unwatchable quality. But since I was now officially hooked and needed my PP supply in place BEFORE I ran out of episodes I took a blind leap.

Boy, was I glad I did. All 514 episodes on 41 discs and as a bonus I got the films: Peyton Place (1957), Return to Peyton Place (1961), Murder in Peyton Place (1977) and Peyton Place: The Next Generation (1985).

The quality is very good in regards to picture and sound...I expected a lot worse! I now can watch PP whenever I want and continue my journey with these exciting characters long after I finish viewing Part Two. As a matter of fact I finished the second set last night and now I am watching Episode 70. These will definitely hold me over until they are all officially released by Shout!

These shows are like that famous potato ship slogan: "You can't have just one...." and at 1/2 hour an episode a very short fix. I have to force myself to turn it off at some point and go to sleep!

My favorite character so far is Barbara Parkins as "Betty Anderson". All I have to say about her is "WOW"!! Not so much the bad girl but a very misunderstood one and that sexy smoky, sultry voice and she's so beautiful to look at! My second favorite character is Dr. Michael Rossi.

I'm officially a PP addict now and I am not looking for rehabilitation any time soon!!!

P.S.: My icon is a screen shot of Barbara Parkins' photo from the 1968-1969 color season opening credits from the set I just received to give you a general idea of the image quality.

Edited by MelloYello - 8/7/2009 at 02:08 pm GMT

MelloYello

Auditioning
Real Name
Carlos
Oh I am so sorry. I had no idea. Please accept my apologies. I was just so excited that I failed to see that notice. Anyway I am so glad to see this series finally getting a legitimate release via Shout! Factory and I look forward to purchasing future releases of the show as they are available.

tymps

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
This thread is amazing! I had no idea for example that there was a pilot shot in 1979! Are there any artices about it? That would be amazing to see one day! I wonder who the full cast was. I also wonder how the original 60s pilot of Peyton Place turned out.
There is message board about daytime soaps where a poster named 'Chris" alluded to the fact she has copies of RTPP but the burden of transferring from Beta to VHS or disc would be too much trouble.
Could you give me a link to this site? Sounds like a good place for people who love classic soaps. Return to Peyton Place is sadly one of the only soaps with not even one episode publicly available. Even when WoST was around we never got to see a single episode or even the opening credits. It's been a mystery to me and I hope to one day see it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis /forum/thread/282558/my-dream-came-true-peyton-place-on-dvd-this-may-from-shout-entertainment/330#post_3592835
I just want everyone to know that barring any last-minute emergency I'll be at the Dark Shadows Festival in Elizabeth, NJ next week! Any fellow PP/DS fans going there too?
Charles,
I wish I were! Have a great time. :)
I subscribe to the Newsletter and belong to the DVD Club. I've also seen the estate (now Salve Regina); I wish I had seen the Old House before it burned down. I still want to get to the Black Pearl (a.k.a. The Blue Whale) one of these days. Maybe I'll even get to see Bob. ;)

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Playing catch up again! I ended up not going to the Lucy Festival after all. The journey seemed cumbersome and the offerings a little lackluster this year. I am patiently awaiting an announcement for the Part 3 set from Shout! Factory- Anyone heard anything? Perhaps some marketing would help sales if they are failing to reach viewers. A PP DVD club similiar to the DS Club that MPI has- Or some commercials on the retro cable channels- More print ads?

Charles- I'll be interested to hear your observations on the DS Festival- Let us know!

Jack

SueEllen

Auditioning
Real Name
Thom
Excuse me Mr. Rueben Moderator but I in NO WAY advocated bootleg trading of tapes. I merely stated what the poster on the danfling board had stated. I did not direct anyone to go there and contact that person, Chris. So your THREAT is out of line.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by SueEllen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse me Mr. Rueben Moderator but I in NO WAY advocated bootleg trading of tapes.
I never said you did, nor did I "threaten" you. I was responding to someone else's post.
If you further comments, I suggest making them privately, as provided in HTF Rules 18 and 19 (link in my signature).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I haven't looked through all of the posts in all 12 pages (so far) of this thread for Peyton Place (and I haven't looked on Shout! Factory's website for Peyton Place either, so I apologise if the answers to my questions below are somewhere amongst the 12 pages.

1.) I was gobsmacked when I looked at the full episode list for Peyton Place on the IMDb earlier tonight. But I shouldn't have been too surprised because the series was part soap opera (?). How many episodes are in the two volumes which were released by Shout! Factory last month?

2.) Are there any DVD extras in either set or both sets?

3.) Are there teasers, recaps, previews of the next episode, ads to accompany the episodes in the two volumes?

4.) Are the episodes uncut and do they have a studio logo (like Lorimar with Dallas, Knots Landing and Falcon Crest) at the end of every episode?

I was intrigued by Peyton Place after reading in a David Lynch book that Twin Peaks was a bit like Peyton Place.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
HAPPY LABOR DAY PEYTON PLACE FANS!!! SCHOOL BACK IN SESSION SUMMER ENDING. MARTIN PEYTON PURCHASES 3 BOOKS FROM CONNIE FOR RODNEY. MACHIAVELLI'S "THE PRINCE" JOHN BUNYAN'S "PILGRIMS PROGRESS" PHILIP STANHOPE EARL OF CHESTERFIELD "CHESTERFIELDS LETTERS TO HIS SON"

I of course went out and got the 3 books but have yet to read them. I will try during my recovery. Jack have you read them??

Thankyou Charles and Sue Ellen for your good wish's and everyone else of course. I have been tested and tested yes even Back Surgery, my gallbadder has to come out the old fashion way with weeks of being down. So I will still be out of the game for another month or more. The Big C came into play. Enough about my health care sorry fans!

We have new fans on board I see. Fantastic please comment more!!!

PHIL
DEWILSON
JEJ2252
FAIRYCAKE
TYMPS
MELLO YELLO
WAVECREST

Wavecrest yes Peyton Place had previews. The Fox Studio Logo is on every episode. The episodes are uncut. The dvds do not have extras. I did not know of the David Lynch angle.

PHIL I liked the Time Tunnel actors as well. I think they were both in episodes from Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea another favorite show of mine and waiting for the last 13 episodes.

Dewilson yes write write write!!!

Fairycake keep those comments rolling.

Skeffington great insight about this show.

MelloYello you touch on the many aspects which made this show a hit.

Tymps excellent please comment more.

Now let us hear more comments from the good people that were with us at the start of the thread. We need you!!!!

KENKOC
ETHAN RILEY
JEFFERSON
STEPHEN BOWIE
THE OBSOLETE MAN
COREY3RD
WHISPER IN THE RAIN
VNISANIAN2001
RON LEE GREEN
DAVID LAMBERT
MARC
DAVID LEVINE
STUART FANNING
C WILLI
TINA HV
MATT PERIOLAT
CHAS SPEED
GARY16
DEEP DISH
GARYOS
LEROUX
CHRIS L
TOM W
BILLY FELDMAN
VINCE FAN
MARTY M
BRIAN HASSEL
NIKKIFQQUK
CLAUDE NORTH DS FAN?

MORE NEW FANS
PAUL L SCOTT
JON MARTIN

Hope I did not leave anyone out. We need you all!!

Charles Ellis the Father of our thread. We owe a great debt of thanks to. Thanks my good buddie!! You had absolute faith Peyton Place would be release to home video. Your dream did indeed come true. I am postive more episodes of Peyton Place are on the way.

Alan what a great friend!! Your comments and support are most appreciated.

Jack you add that touch of elegance which is so important and refreshing in our thread.

SueEllen what can I say. The enlightment you gave us all on Return To Peyton was absolutely fantastic!!! I hope we hear from you soon.

Labor Day is one of my favortie holidays. Dark Shadows fans listen up. I watch every single year the 4 Labor day episodes on Labor Day. Each year I choose a different one to play exactly at 3:00 PM CST. I then watch the other 3 back to back. Friends and Family know not to bother me after 3:00 PM on Labor Day. It is my own tradition and I look forward to it each year.

The Labor Day episode of Quentin and Trask ending in the basement cell of Collinwood is very special to me. My Aunt and My Grandparents would always take a Labor Day ride when I was a kid. They would always have to wait until after Dark Shadows aired so I could go with them.

My Aunt who had never watched one epiosde of DS said she was going to watch the Labor Day episode with me. Angelique began her spell on trask and it was pure delight to hear my Aunt talk about the show. She has passed on now which making that episode even more important to me.

The best Labor Day episode to me is Barnabas and Tom Jennings. The Barnabas about to bite Vicky episode comes next. The last is Vicky and Carolyn finding a body at the bottom of Widows Hill .

I cannot end this without giving a special nod to GuidinGLight which ends on September 18th. I remember when that show was only 15 minutes long!! I believe a tv movie aired with the cast intergrated into the story. I think back in 70s.

I think there may not have been a Peyton Place or Dark Shadows if that show had not broke the ground for soaps.

Enough already from me. I will be out of the game again starting after Labor Day until I do not know when.

Best wishs to you all!
Mark

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Mark-
Hang in there buddy- We are praying for you and a speedy recovery! No I haven't read those books- Perhaps sometime soon... Taking a Young adult Lit class for my Masters, so reading anything not required will be hard- Have you read "The Alchemyst" by Michael Scott? Machiavelli plays a major part in the second book called "The Magician"!

Can't believe we are losing Guiding Light after so many years. CBS should be ashamed of themselves- It is indeed the grandaddy of all soaps, hailing back to 1937 on radio. And I believe there are some connections to Peyton Place- Didn't the actress who played Mrs. Shuster go on to work as a producer or something on GL? September 18th will be a sad day for soap fans!

Shout!- We are waiting, but I don't know how patiently for morre PP! How about an update for us?

Jack

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Oh Jack thankyou so much. Yes next week I got to the Universtiy of Wisconsin to meet with the Doctor. The surgery must take place as soon as possible . I have never been sick so this is quite a shock. Never been in a hosptial overnight. Enough about me. I have to admit I am nervous about Peyton Place and Shout.

The silver lineing is we are picking up new fans just because of this thead which makes me very happy. I also do not know about Face Book I just will have to think about it in the future my mind is else where.

I remember some of GuidinGLight plots it aired right aftere Search For Tommorow just before lunch here. That movie I know was made it the gal from American Giglo her name I cannot think of right now. I think it was about Baby kidnapping. Bert was in it. Anyone remember?

BuckyB12

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug Jamison
The TV movie with some GUIDING LIGHT characters was THE CRADLE WILL FALL, based on a novel by Mary Higgins Clark, which first aired in 1983. The movie starred Lauren Hutton and James Farentino, the GL characters included were Bert Bauer, Ed Bauer, Ross Marler, Hope Bauer Spaulding, Lesley Ann Monroe, and Larry Wyatt. Haven't seen the movie since it was first aired, but I remember that it took place largely at Cedars Hospital, and that the GL characters all had fairly minor things to do in the storyline. In the 1990s GL had a few special episodes aired during prime time, but now it's sadly come to cancellation in just two weeks (and pre-empted today and Friday at that!). I also remember seeing it with my grandmother when it was only 15 minutes long - my grandmother watched all the CBS soaps in those days, from LOVE OF LIFE right on through to THE EDGE OF NIGHT!

As to PEYTON PLACE, I'm nearly finished with the first set and have the second all ready to go -- looking forward to an announcement about the third -- please, please, Shout Factory!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well, here's September, but no word on Set 3 yet! Mark: hope you're doing better. Jack- September 18 also holds significance as it was Grayson Hall's birthday!
EVERYBODY: By all means leave an e-mail with the Shout! Factory folks and tell them you want MORE PP on DVD ASAP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks