What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

PHE Press Release: Paramount Presents! Love Story (1970) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
There didn't appear to be much interest on the Forum in the announcement for the 1st blu ray release of this film. Only 3 posts, two of which were the announcement and a price drop notification.

1608230652119.png

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
There didn't appear to be much interest on the Forum in the announcement for the 1st blu ray release of this film. Only 3 posts, two of which were the announcement and a price drop notification.

View attachment 83647
Maybe because it's now part of their preminium "Paramount Presents" line with a new scan, allied with the fact we're all home waiting for those Warner Archive Blus to arrive with nothing else to do.

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Without Francis Lai, I wonder if Love Story would have evoked all the tears of its audience. IMHO, his score is at the core of this films success.

I liked Ali McGraw okay enough, but I never understood all the fuss over Jenny. I’ve met these Radcliffe types of the world, and found them all to be predictably dull within their cookie cut-out grooming.

Alas, love means never having to say Pre-Order.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
"Love Story" is the highest grossing movie I've never seen - highest in adjusted $, that is. Box Office Mojo puts it at 41st all-time US adjusted.

I'll have Paramount send a review copy, so I'll finally see it.

That'll make "Bells of St. Mary's" - #58 - the biggest hit I never saw, and the only remaining one in the top 100...

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Maybe because it's now part of their preminium "Paramount Presents" line with a new scan, allied with the fact we're all home waiting for those Warner Archive Blus to arrive with nothing else to do.
OK but the one person who commented on the quality of the original release on the other thread , Haineshisway, said of that release ,

Let me be the first: An absolutely gorgeous and stellar transfer from Paramount. Perfect color and looks exactly as it should.

We have already seen with the Paramount Presents version of "To Catch A Thief" a new transfer is not necessarily a better transfer.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I reviewed the original Blu-ray (can't find the link) and I'm not sure how much better they can make it, except by merely being higher resolution and capturing, in theory, all picture info in the 35mm negative.

Without Francis Lai, I wonder if Love Story would have evoked all the tears of its audience. IMHO, his score is at the core of this films success.

I liked Ali McGraw okay enough, but I never understood all the fuss over Jenny.

Oliver's Story showed that he was the more insufferable of the two by far without her around. One of the worst sequels to a successful movie I've ever seen*; they should have called it "Shut Up, Preppy!"

*Until Michael Eisner moved from Paramount to Disney to eventually negate many of the good things he did there with similarly execrable sequels to hit films.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I reviewed the original Blu-ray (can't find the link) and I'm not sure how much better they can make it, except by merely being higher resolution and capturing, in theory, all picture info in the 35mm negative.

Oliver's Story showed that he was the more insufferable of the two by far without her around. One of the worst sequels to a successful movie I've ever seen*; they should have called it "Shut Up, Preppy!"

*Until Michael Eisner moved from Paramount to Disney to eventually negate many of the good things he did there with similarly execrable sequels to hit films.
Now you’ve done it, Michael. Now you’ve really gone and done it. You’ve said Oliver’s Story. AND you’ve said it out loud. Now Paramount is gonna be compelled to announce that one, too. OMG, there goes another month.:laugh:

I’m starting to wonder if Paramount even knows that they own Ragtime, Hud, Ordinary People, Murder on the Orient Express, Paper Moon, The Greatest Show on Earth or the 4K restorations of Chinatown, A Place in the Sun, and Zeffirelli’s Romeo & Juliet? :D

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Indeed, but my point remains the same: Paramount under Eisner treated sequels as cash grabs just as Disney later would. But the poor quality of that sequel proves that there was something between the two of them that replacing Ali MacGraw with another actress couldn't duplicate.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...] But the poor quality of that sequel proves that there was something between the two of them that replacing Ali MacGraw with another actress couldn't duplicate.
Robert Evans and Steve McQueen would be inclined to agree with you on that one. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Is it possible that the justification for this BD release of Love Story was in answer to Criterion’s The Essential Fellini?

Yes, I know, I’m reaching. But do note that Arthur Hiller was AMPAS nominated for Best Director in 1970 against Federico Fellini for Satyricon. Some contrast, eh?*

*other nominees for Best Director (1970):
Franklin J. Schaffner (Patton) - WINNER
Robert Altman (M*A*S*H)
Ken Russell (Woman in Love)

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Talk about bad sequels let's not forget "Funny Lady". Not a terrible film but Streisand is playing two different characters both named Fanny Brice in "Funny Girl" and "Funny Lady" "Funny Girl" Fanny shows up in "Funny Lady" for about 5 minutes in her first scene with Nick but other than that, she is a completely different character. Just almost no continuity between the two films.

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
Erich Segal, who wrote both the novel and screenplay for Love Story, was a Classics professor at Yale. Apparently, he would refer to both the book and screenplay as examples of great writing in his lectures, as students would roll their eyes.

• Haha

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yes, she was better in GOODBYE COLUMBUS (a Blu-ray I would buy if released), but for me, that's like saying Keanu Reeves was better in CHAIN REACTION than he was in JOHNNY MNEMONIC.

Well, it's pretty obvious that at least one member disagrees with me vehemently. I think that's great! I wish the whole country could disagree on things without extending threats of violence.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks