What's new

PHE Press Release: Paramount Presents! Love Story (1970) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of One of the Most Romantic Films of All Time with a Newly Restored Presentation of the ClassicLOVE STORY

love.png

Limited-Edition Blu-ray™ Arrives February 9, 2021, Just in Time for Valentine’s Day

The timeless classic LOVE STORY celebrates its 50th anniversary with a brand-new Blu-ray in the Paramount Presents line, debuting February 9, 2021 from Paramount Home Entertainment.

Newly restored from a 4K film transfer, this new presentation beautifully captures the highs and lows of young love in a film that remains as impactful as ever. Based on Erich Segal’s best-selling novel, LOVE STORY was nominated for seven* Academy Awards®, including Best Picture, and became a cultural phenomenon, earning over $100 million at the domestic box office. In 2002, the AFI named it as #9 on its list of the 100 greatest love stories of all time.

The limited-edition Paramount Presents LOVE STORY Blu-ray includes the newly restored film, a new Filmmaker Focus with film historian Leonard Maltin, plus previously released content including a commentary by director Arthur Hiller, an introduction by film critic Ben Mankiewicz, Love Story: A Classic Remembered, and the theatrical trailer, plus access to a Digital copy of the film. The disc is presented in collectible packaging that includes a foldout image of the film’s theatrical poster, and an interior spread with key movie moments.

Ryan O’Neal and Ali MacGraw both received Oscar® nominations* for their starring roles in the timeless, unmatched tale from the heart. Harvard students Oliver (O’Neal) and Jenny (MacGraw) come from opposite backgrounds, but they share a chemistry they cannot deny—and a love they can’t ignore. Despite Oliver’s wealthy father threatening to disown him, the young couple marries and begins to build their new life together. But fate has other plans, and soon Oliver and Jenny face a crisis only the strongest of loves can endure.

About Paramount Presents

This collectible line spans celebrated classics to film-lover favorites, each from the studio’s renowned library. Every Paramount Presents release features never-before-seen bonus content and exclusive collectible packaging. Additional titles available in the Paramount Presents collection on Blu-ray include: Fatal Attraction, King Creole, To Catch a Thief, Flashdance, Days of Thunder, Pretty In Pink, Airplane!, Ghost, Roman Holiday, The Haunting, The Golden Child, Trading Places and The Court Jester.

About Paramount Home Entertainment

Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. PPC is a unit of ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIAC; VIACA), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. The PHE division oversees PPC’s home entertainment and transactional digital distribution activities worldwide. The division is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment content on behalf of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Television Studios, Paramount Players, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and CBS and applicable licensing and servicing of certain DreamWorks Animation titles. PHE additionally manages global licensing of studio content and transactional distribution across worldwide digital distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.

Paramount Presents: LOVE STORY

Street Date: February 9, 2021

U.S. Rating: PG for language and a love scene

*1971, Nominations: Best Pictures, Best Actor in a Leading Role (Ryan O’Neal), Best Actress in a Leading Role (Ali MacGraw), Best Actor in a Supporting Role (John Marley), Best Director (Arthur Hiller), Best Writing, (Erich Segal); in addition, Francis Lai won for Best Music, Original Score

“ACADEMY AWARD” and “OSCAR” are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Endorsement Guidelines: Paramount Pictures Corporation and Paramount Home Entertainment (collectively “Paramount”) are not requesting or requiring any online or social media coverage, publication, or posting (i) in connection with this press release or (ii) in exchange for any products, materials, services, or any other benefit provided to recipient (“Recipient”) by Paramount in connection herewith. Recipient agrees that any social media posts or public statements made by Recipient in connection with this press release, any products, materials, services, or benefit provided to Recipient by Paramount will comply with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, guidelines, and/or policies (collectively, the “Laws”), including, without limitation, those concerning endorsements and testimonials in advertising in the territory(ies) in which Recipient resides and/or in which Recipient’s posts will be featured (for example, in the United States: Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) endorsement disclosure guidelines, FTC FAQs, and “Disclosures 101 for Social Media Influencers,” all available at https://www.ftc.gov/influencers)). To the extent required by any Laws, Recipient shall include an accurate,

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
So Paramount is releasing a 3 film set of "Love Story", 'Barefoot In The Park" and "To Catch A Thief" on February 9th. Will this disc be a part of that set? The 3 film set is currently $20 at Amazon.

1608140591578.png

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
So Paramount is releasing a 3 film set of "Love Story", 'Barefoot In The Park" and "To Catch A Thief" on February 9th. Will this disc be a part of that set? The 3 film set is currently $20 at Amazon.

View attachment 83590
Not likely. Paramount is probably repackaging old stock of the 2012 release for this set. Might be worth getting if you want the earlier pressing of To Catch a Thief, though.

Reactions: PMF

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Not likely. Paramount is probably repackaging old stock of the 2012 release for this set. Might be worth getting if you want the earlier pressing of To Catch a Thief, though.
Can anyone recall a time when a studio re released an older transfer of a film at the same time as a newer version? Seems unique to me . I guess the 3 disc set is better than Paramount sending the overstock to a landfill or Big Lots.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I concur. Can't see them putting this newly struck transfer into a 3-disc collection. That's the old disc.

Reactions: PMF

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
No digital copy, apparently, on the new release. The 3 disc set comes with digital copies of the films.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
No digital copy, apparently, on the new release. The 3 disc set comes with digital copies of the films.
Which means buying the 3-disc set will give access at least to the 4K version of To Catch a Thief, and if Paramount does upgrade Love Story to 4K, that master as well digitally. Not sure about the US, but Paramount digital copy in Canada is currently exclusive to iTunes/Apple TV.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I have a Shirley Bassey LP where she sings the "Love Story" theme song as if it's "Goldfinger" which is so over the top ridiculous it's wonderful.
Gold Finger and Love Story were two titles in the roped off section of the video store ... I've heard :D!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I laughed through this in 1970. A lot of people cried. I didn't understand why. It was a great comedy.
My recollection is it was basically a romantic comedy until about the last reel :cool: ...

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
My recollection is it was basically a romantic comedy until about the last reel :cool: ...
The way the film was incompetently directed, and reaching for feelings that were beyond its capacity to generate, so everything seemed inappropriate, turned it into a Keystone Cops comedy, especially in the last reel.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
An abysmal movie that young women adored. I was 20 when this came out, and saw it in a theater, and was tempted to ask for my money back just because the film was so full of phony platitudes and so-called tear-jerking emotions and shallow manipulation that I wanted to kind of puke, but the young lady I had brought to the theater liked it so much, I backed down (and we never saw a movie together after that!). Ali McGraw was undeniably pretty but could never act a lick. I've never been a big Ryan O'Neal fan (although he was passable in PAPER MOON), but this was his nadir. And Ray Milland, aside from looking terrible, was absolutely grotesque in his role. Francis Lai's score oozes with ersatz sentimentality to the point of being unlistenable (for me).

So Rick, you say, tell us how you really feel about this movie.

Okay: It sucks.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have no problem whatsoever about disagreements from other members. This is my opinion. Not a movie I will add to my library, ever, but others are encouraged to support Paramount Presents by purchasing it.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I have no problem whatsoever about disagreements from other members. This is my opinion. Not a movie I will add to my library, ever, but others are encouraged to support Paramount Presents by purchasing it.
I like LOVE STORY for the same reason I like VALLEY OF THE DOLLS; it's so filled with continuity errors and strange camera placements that go against the drama of the story that for me it's highly entertaining. It's success (and the ire of a certain member when I stated--which is a fact, not an opinion--that as a piece of filmmaking LOVE STORY is far from perfect, which many reviews at the time mentioned--is also proof that most people don't notice these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks