What's new

Paradigm 2200 Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Richie-C

Agent
Guys I am currently using an old JBL PW1200 powered subwoofer that I have had for 5 years and am wanting to get rid of it and get a good subwoofer. I recently upgraded my speaker system to Paradigm Studio 100's in the front, LCR 450 Center (already had), Studio ADP's Dipole surrounds. I also have a set of Paradigm Eclipse that right now I am using as my rear backs.

I was wanting to know if anyone has experience with the Paradigm 2200 sub, I can't afford the Servo 15. Or do I need a sub with the Studio 100's. These are powered by a Pioneer Elite 49TX.

If there are other options for around $750 that would be comparable to the 2200 please let me know.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Welcome to the forum, Richie. This thread will likely be moved to the speakers section.
But to answer your question: I see that you have Paradigms all around. Don't feel like you're limited to just Paradigm subs. The 2200 is a solid performer...but many will no doubt chime in with other great subs from SVS, Adire, HSU, Velodyne, etc that can be had for several hundred dollars less than the 2200. At ~$750, you're also close to the recently released HSU VTF-3 (professional reviews still pending) that appears to be one of the best

ShaneH

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, let me be the first mention SVS. They even have a sale on right now. I'm sure many others will agree that the performance will be better than the 2200 and maybe even the servo 15 on some models. Unless you dont like the tube design.

Richie-C

Agent
Thanks guys, I don't know anything about SVS. The only thing I care about is sound and right now cost. Sorry about the posting blunder, I am going to re-post it in the speaker section.

Where would a guy buy the SVS and what price are they?

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I'm currently using a Paradigm PW-2200 mated with Studio 80s up front, Studio CC center, and Studio 20s for surrounds. For music I don't use the PW-2200 because I feel it's a bit slow, especially when pumping out fast bass lines. However, for movies it's awesome. It makes my whole house rattle, and I only have the sub volume at halfway (calibrated with an SPL meter).

I'm guessing that you don't necessarily need a sub for music with those Studio 100s, but you definitely want one for movies. As much bass as those 100s can put out, they are no match for the rumbling effects a good sub is capable of for movie soundtracks.

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
I have had the PW2200 for about a month and love it. I know that there are countless SVS loyalists out there that will tell you that any of the SVS subs kill the 2200. I have never heard an SVS and I can neither confirm or deny that they are better. All I know is that I am happy with my purchase.

If I ever add a second sub I will probably pick up one of the SVS subs and see if it really is all that.

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,

I loved my 2200 until a week ago when it began experiencing some digestion problems. For lack of better words, it farts. Whenever the green light is on, it randomly putzes out a noise of random length, but generally no longer than a second. It also does it if you tap the sub. I've checked that the line connections are snug.

Do you think this is some internal wiring short or loose connection? Anyway to fix it at home? Sub is about 1.5 years old.

Chris

Mike_P

Agent
I had the Paradigm PS-1000 when I started my home theater, but gradually became dissatisfied with it. The PS-2200 probably kicks the 1000's ass, but I had heard a lot about SVS on this site.

I bought an SVS PC-20-39 for $750, and it is much, much nicer! I would suggest you go to the SVS website and check it out. They have a link from this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks