What's new

One Eyed Jacks on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

cannon1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
Any ideas on who is running the best pre-order price on this title just now....there was one posted for MFL here that I used
But lost it?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Any ideas on who is running the best pre-order price on this title just now....there was one posted for MFL here that I used
But lost it?

At present DVD Pacific is leading by a nose with $25.05 but the other runners are closing in.

cannon1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
At present DVD Pacific is leading by a nose with $25.05 but the other runners are closing in.

Thank you for this source! I do notice one modest annoyance...they add Sales tax to a CA sale, though their customer service Q&A indicates otherwise...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thank you for this source! I do notice one modest annoyance...they add Sales tax to a CA sale, though their customer service Q&A indicates otherwise...

You're very welcome. DVD Pacific is one of my regular suppliers. They are price competitive about 40% of the time. They're a bit slow at shipping which may trouble some people. It doesn't matter to me because I always have a backlog of titles to watch.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Brilliant! Thanks, Willy.

My friend's wife, Mina, is third picture down, wearing the mantilla (the ring scene).

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Good looking caps, I think I will retire my LD now that so far was the best version I had available! Not quite as detailed as I would have expected especially in some of the outdoor scenes where the detail does not seem to approach the heights of Spartacus or King of Kings or also To Catch A Thief that at times can look extremely good. This is not a critique of the Criterion disc as there can be a number of reasons for this starting with the original photography.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Good looking caps, I think I will retire my LD now that so far was the best version I had available! Not quite as detailed as I would have expected especially in some of the outdoor scenes where the detail does not seem to approach the heights of Spartacus or King of Kings or also To Catch A Thief that at times can look extremely good. This is not a critique of the Criterion disc as there can be a number of reasons for this starting with the original photography.

Yes, and number one of the number of reasons is that the Beaver caps aren't always good. I have yet to see one of his caps that truly resembles, for example, the color that I see when I actually watch the thing. I'm expecting this will look great.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The Beaver caps have issues but are fairly accurate with regard to detail. I agree that colors and contrast often seem to be off but the detail that we see here for example is simply not present in those One Eyed Jacks Caps:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-...lu-ray_/large/large_spartacus_01_blu-ray_.jpg

Which doesn't mean that it was on the negative in the first place in the case of One Eyed Jacks, Spartacus is just exceptionally good for a variety of reasons. I am sure that One Eyed jacks will still be a very satisfying presentation and it is on my list of movies to get with the next Barnes and Noble Criterion sale.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
The Beaver caps have issues but are fairly accurate with regard to detail. I agree that colors and contrast often seem to be off but the detail that we see here for example is simply not present in those One Eyed Jacks Caps:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-...lu-ray_/large/large_spartacus_01_blu-ray_.jpg

Which doesn't mean that it was on the negative in the first place in the case of One Eyed Jacks, Spartacus is just exceptionally good for a variety of reasons. I am sure that One Eyed jacks will still be a very satisfying presentation and it is on my list of movies to get with the next Barnes and Noble Criterion sale.

I really hope it's the JPEG compression or beavers software but the first cap of Brando reminds me of the first Patton or , God forbid, Zulu

But my heart sank when I saw DVD beavers caps of The Graduate because of the beautiful film grain therein

I'm still blown away by paramounts vistavision restorations under Ron Smith, and being VistaVision , I have high hopes for OEJ

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I really hope it's the JPEG compression or beavers software but the first cap of Brando reminds me of the first Patton or , God forbid, Zulu

But my heart sank when I saw DVD beavers caps of The Graduate because of the beautiful film grain therein

I'm still blown away by paramounts vistavision restorations under Ron Smith, and being VistaVision , I have high hopes for OEJ

I agree that The Ten Commandments and White Christmas are excellent, it is a shame that Ron Smith could not have stayed for a few more.

A year ago i would never have thought to be able to buy One Eyed Jacks or even Strategic Air Command on Blu-ray only one year later so I think we should be very happy to have them even if they do not turn out as good as the absolute flagship releases of the studios. In the end I am sure that both will be good discs but the Screencaps for some reason do not look very special and I hope that this is a DVDbeaver thing first and foremost.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

I thought all the work on this was done by the crack team at Universal. I dunno, the caps look great to me. I do get the impression that it's a thankless task working bringing these old movies to life, there's hardly any release that's completely free of criticisms. I'm sure this will get a region B release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks