What's new

Red Planet Mars on Blu-ray? (2 Viewers)

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Red Planet Mars is out on Blu-ray this week. I couldn't find any reviews. Has anyone seen this in HD & can comment? It's one of the better 50s sci-fi movies.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Allied Vaughn.
apparently they are a distributor for other companies. With no mention of restoration or other specs on the product, I'll wait until some reviews come out. I'd love a nice restored HD copy of this film, but if all they did was drop a so-so SD file on to a BD, that would be a hard pass from me!!

Last edited:

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Allied Vaughn bought the production & distribution rights for Warner & Universal discs, maybe others too. It was a cost reduction measure. Allied Vaughn owns the Gruv website.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Allied Vaughn's website is MovieZyng.
MovieZyng has Warner Archive releases, Gruv does not (mainly Warner & Universal releases), so who own's Gruv?

Perhaps they both sites are owned by Allied Vaughn?

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Gruv is a Universal website. Universal and Warner Home Video have teamed up for physical distribution. Warner archive titles are not part of that.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
MGM and Allied Vaughn also just released Pajama Party and Bikini Beach on Blu-ray. I picked them up through Amazon and was happy with the transfer. I have this on pre-ordered and looking forward to it.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Boot or not, if it was done well I’d buy it anyway!
Oh, I've bought my share, but I already have a meh copy on dvd, and there's no mention od any restoration done to this edition. I'm just hesitant to getting bit again by some left field outfit that just drops a meh copy on to a blu ray and calls it a day!! I guess we'll see, right?

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Boot or not, if it was done well I’d buy it anyway!
Red Planet Mars has played on TCM & MGM HD cable channels in HD. The print has been used so few times, it's in excellent shape, although there is some audible hiss. We don't know the encoding (MPEG, VC1 or AVC) but, based on the review, I'm willing to take a chance. This is an MGM release via Allied-Vaughn, definitely not a boot.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Red Planet Mars has played on TCM & MGM HD cable channels in HD. The print has been used so few times, it's in excellent shape, although there is some audible hiss. We don't know the encoding (MPEG, VC1 or AVC) but, based on the review, I'm willing to take a chance. This is an MGM release via Allied-Vaughn, definitely not a boot.
Agreed, not a boot, but was any restoration done for this release? This appears to be a first from Allied-Vaugh, under thier own lable. It's just when the release comes with so little information, it leaves one a bit circomspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks