What's new

One Eyed Jacks on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
A picture's worth ...

YUCK! I look forward to the movie on Blu-ray but Criterion better start using original artwork instead of making up subpar covers like this one. Or maybe they just couldn't secure the rights?

I still look forward to interesting extras and excellent picture quality even though I would have loved for Universal to release this and also give us a UHD version.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
After reading this thread again I have to say that we are so lucky with One-Eyed Jacks, a movie that seemed lost to the public domain just two years ago with nobody willing to make an effort to revisit it properly. Now we got a 4k restoration and an upcoming Criterion Blu-ray which is incredible and so much more than what we could have expected and hoped for - kudos to everybody who made this possible!

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
YUCK! I look forward to the movie on Blu-ray but Criterion better start using original artwork instead of making up subpar covers like this one. Or maybe they just couldn't secure the rights?

I still look forward to interesting extras and excellent picture quality even though I would have loved for Universal to release this and also give us a UHD version.

I haven't liked a lot of Criterion artwork for several years. They often try to be too clever IMO to the point where they are calling too much attention to their alleged cleverness. But, the movie's the thing.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I haven't liked a lot of Criterion artwork for several years. They often try to be too clever IMO to the point where they are calling too much attention to their alleged cleverness. But, the movie's the thing.

Agree that the movie is the 'thing'. That said they certainly could have used a variation of the original artwork(which in fact is stunning). Kritzerland did just that for its soundtrack release.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

At some point I noticed that many of their discs have weird covers and as they were weird movies I put it down to that. Then I noticed that Criterion themselves created most of these rather strange covers - One-Eyed Jacks is another one.

I agree with Paul, the Kritzerland cover obviously would have been available and it looks fine to me.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
The restored version is playing tonight in Hollywood at the Academy's Linwood Dunn Theatre as a part of the annual Association of Moving Image Archivists "Reel Thing" conference. The folks from Universal who did the work on the film will be there too. I'm an AMIA member, so I'll be at the screening. Should look great!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The restored version is playing tonight in Hollywood at the Academy's Linwood Dunn Theatre as a part of the annual Association of Moving Image Archivists "Reel Thing" conference. The folks from Universal who did the work on the film will be there too. I'm an AMIA member, so I'll be at the screening. Should look great!

Please report back on how it looks.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/film-archivists-confab-open-screening-919609

Article says faded blues had to be restored using a black and white archival element. The rest from the original negative.

Yes I think that's how Universal treated the faded Spartacus, using one of the b/w YCM b/w separation dupes. God that must be so difficult, you have the untimed original faded negative & the timed b/w separation film, it must be a lot of trial & error getting correction just right, & it's probably different for every shot (& you really would need a computer to line them up).

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yes I think that's how Universal treated the faded Spartacus, using one of the b/w YCM b/w separation dupes. God that must be so difficult, you have the untimed original faded negative & the timed b/w separation film, it must be a lot of trial & error getting correction just right, & it's probably different for every shot (& you really would need a computer to line them up).
Preferably not THIS One
hal_9000__revisited__by_mondspeer-d73cwm1.jpg
;)

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Muchas Gracias, Ramin.
Up to my neck at my local theater. Lot of catching up to do here.

Toby Roan is writing a book: A Million Feet of Film: The making of One Eyed Jacks. A search for the title will bring up his Facebook and Tumblr. pages. Some terrific behind the scenes pictures, including one on Tumblr. from a deleted scene showing Rio surrendering to the Rurales.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Criterion could ask a five-year-old to splatter ink all over a piece of paper (a la Pollock) and call it cover art as far as I'm concerned -- who else is ever gonna see it but me -- as long as I can finally own this film!

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Please report back on how it looks.

The film looked beautiful at the Academy. An amazing amount of detail, excellent color, proper grain levels. I really loved the look of the restoration and I enjoyed the film.

Regarding aspect ratios, it appeared to be 1.85 to me. I have to admit though it would be difficult for me to see a huge difference between that and 1.75. Everything seemed to be properly framed though.

My only complaint was that a new Universal logo replaced the original Paramount and there was no "The End" card. A restoration credit replaced the end titles.

But the film looked great and I can't wait for the new Criterion disc!

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sayers
Toby Roan is writing a book: A Million Feet of Film: The making of One Eyed Jacks. A search for the title will bring up his Facebook and Tumblr. pages. Some terrific behind the scenes pictures, including one on Tumblr. from a deleted scene showing Rio surrendering to the Rurales.

Thanks - that is a great Facebook page!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The film looked beautiful at the Academy. An amazing amount of detail, excellent color, proper grain levels. I really loved the look of the restoration and I enjoyed the film.

Regarding aspect ratios, it appeared to be 1.85 to me. I have to admit though it would be difficult for me to see a huge difference between that and 1.75. Everything seemed to be properly framed though.

My only complaint was that a new Universal logo replaced the original Paramount and there was no "The End" card. A restoration credit replaced the end titles.

But the film looked great and I can't wait for the new Criterion disc!

Many thanks. I'll be buying the Criterion disc too.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
One-Eyed Jacks is being shown during the London Film Festival in October at both the NFT and Prince Charles Cinema. A chance to see it on the big screen!

Thanks, I'll be there. I used to go to both venues a lot, but I haven't been to either for many years, It'll be great seeing this on the big screen with a cinema full of people. I will have this on Blu-ray, but am in no great rush, it's very expensive right now, & although I have a multi-region player, I'd still love to get a region B release, Criterion UK or Eureka or Arrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks