What's new

On-wall speakers (2 channel & lite HT use) (1 Viewer)

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
OK, so here's the problem. My wife and I just moved from San Diego to Fremont due to career changes (which is why I haven't posted or lurked in quite a while). Our new house has a pretty good room for my home theater, 15 x 13 x 8 with enough room for the 47" RPTV and all the accompanying gear.
But we plan to use the "great room" as more of a formal sitting room since it's viewable from the entryway and so many other parts of the house. Dimensions are not the best for sound, as it is about 20' on all three sides (length x width x height) with openings to the dining room (large), kitchen (2 small) and staircase. We plan to buy a corner unit to house our smaller TV, secondary DVD, etc. To keep the space as "classy" as possible, I'm considering either in-wall or, due to issues with wiring through studs, ON-wall speakers. 2-channel only.

Given the meteoric rise of flat-panel displays, and manufacturers rushing to design speakers that match or complement them, has anyone here had success with on-wall speakers and if so, what makes and models are recommended? Just FYI, the speakers would be about 8-10' apart and, since they'd be on either side of a corner unit, toed in at exactly 45 degrees. Budget goal is $500 but I'd be willing to go a bit higher if that's the consensus. Amp is a NAD C350 and CDP is Cal Icon Mk II, so associated equipment is decent. Thanks in advance.

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
I've never heard them, but check out if Magnepans new speaker (MMG W & MMG C) works for you. Fits your budget and seems like it fits your setup too. They have received favorable reviews.

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second the Emerald On wall recommendation. I've heard them, and they are really amazing. They also come in a variety of real woods, and look great!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Toed in at 45deg to each other, if you are not in the sweet spot created by this relationship, will not be ideal, so I'd look at bracket mounting or getting speakers that are already toe adjustable.

You might consider the Vienna Acoustics Berg or Webern also.

Nathan Bjork

Stunt Coordinator
What about the paradigm on wall series? I dont know much about his company but they caught my eye while looking for some bookshelves and I remembered reading this post. Here's the LINK to the Paradigm On-Wall series section and another LINK to an online retailer I found them at for $569. Hope they are what your looking for.

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
The Magnepan W's have a swing-out mounting bracket -- meant to toe the speaker IN about 30 degrees, but no reason it can't toe them OUT from 90, right? -- and are priced right @ $299 plus shipping, so I think that's the direction I'm going. Plus they will look EXTREMELY unobtrusive against the walls, which will make wifey happy. They'll need a little 8" sub, but I think I can find a well-reviewed one such as Energy's for perhaps $200-225 on eBay or some such. Thanks again for all the ideas fellas!

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I would be really curious as to how they sound once you get them set up in your room. Please let us know how you like them.

Jeff Aguilar

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks