What's new

Building a HT on a budget (1 Viewer)

Robert.Kight

Auditioning
First of all, I'd like to say that I'm new here and that this is my first post. I am really looking forward to getting to know everyone and am hoping to learn a lot along the way.

I ran across this site the other day when I was looking for some information on HT setups. I am working on my first HT system and am really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

My budget for this setup was very low, so I was not able to build a dedicated room or even modify my current living room. My living room is twelve feet wide by twenty feet long, so I decided it would be the best place for the HT. I have three windows in this room, but I will be stapling black landscaping plastic to the insides of the window frames. To conceal the black plastic, I will be installing brushed aluminum mini-blinds (real aluminum; not that cheap silver-painted Wal-Mart plastic stuff) with white shears pulled back to expose the blinds and black scarves draped over the shears (my girlfriend's idea...sounds great to me). I am trying to keep a black/white/silver them with this room, so I think that will look really awesome. I am not able to install an integrated shelf for my components, so I will be using a cheap wire shelf (the kind you build yourself out of wire grids) for my components and video game systems until I can afford a nice wood or metal rack designed for this purpose.

As for my components, I think I made pretty good choices for an entry-level system. I had $5,500 to spend on everything I needed (I saved a lot of money on eBay, by the way). My components are:

Sony Cineza VPL-HS20 HD LCD projector
Samsung DVD-HD931 720p/1080i DVD player (with DVI out)
Kenwood VR-806 7.1-ready A/V receiver
Infinity TSS-450 5.1 speaker system
Infinity SAT-450 add-on satellite
Audio Authority Model-1154 auto-selecting component video switch (for switching between the component outputs of my XBox, PS2, and GameCube along with the optical audio of my XBox, PS2, and DVD player)
Da-Lite 16:9 119" silver matte screen (manual pull-down)
Perfectmounts 2000 series VPL-HS20 ceiling mount
Monster Cable 4-meter DVI cable
100' Monster Cable white speaker cable
Vantage Point ceiling mounts (2)

I will be wall-mounting my front, rear, and surround speakers and ceiling-mounting my center channel. I was a bit nervous about the center channel since it wasn't designed for wall or ceiling mounting. I actually had to drill holes in the plastic cabinet of the center channel so I could install the ceiling mounts. Installing the mounts on the speaker only took a minute and caused no problems at all. I will be running my speaker wires from my receiver up into my ceiling through the smallest hole I can manage (I will be wrapping the cables in some sort of white flex-loom to make it look a bit better), then I will be drilling a small hole above each speaker and dropping just enough wire to connect to the speaker. Obviously, the wire will be visible, but I don't feel like trying to run wires through my walls. My house was built in 1955 and has 1/2" plaster walls!

I have received everything but the screen and ceiling mount so far, but am expecting both sometime this week. I have "played" with my projector and DVD player and am quite impressed. My opinion of these products may be a bit biased since I am going from a five or six year old (not sure of its exact age; it was given to me by my stepfather) 27" RCA console television (that was just new enough to have S-Video...thankfully) and a $40 Mitsubishi DVD player to my current setup. I haven't really had a chance to try out my new surround sound system. I connected the two front speakers, the sub, and my six-disc CD changer so I could hear it for a few minutes. It sounded really good considering the fact that the speakers were sitting in the floor and the sub was in the middle of the room. I can't wait to hear it again once I get all six speakers hooked up and get the sub properly placed in a nice corner. ;-) Anyway, let me know what you think about my first setup!

Robert.Kight

Auditioning
I just thought I would mention really quickly that I just read over my post and noticed it does not flow very well. I am sorry it isn't very well written, but it's almost 4:30 AM here and I haven't been to bed yet. I'm going to bed. :b

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Congrats on your budget theater!
Sounds very impressive!
Congrats on the projector and the 7.1 system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks