What's new

*** Official *** XBox 360 Hardware DISCUSSION Thread (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Dang if I only knew Costco was going to get so many units... I stopped by a Target on my way in but the line was already real long. The Costco across the street only had about 5 people in line but I didn't think they were going to get more than about 5 units in total.

Live, learn and already planning for the PS3 launch! *breaks out tent*

Chris S.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Wow, I watched an auction for a premium bundle end at $6100!

That's amazing to me. Why wold people pay so much for something they could get eventually for the normal cost?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

I remember this happening launch day for both the original XBOX and PS2.

I stopped by WalMart again tonight to pick up some Nyquil for my better half and stopped by electronics to see what games they had stocked. While I was there, the guy stocking told me they got three premium units tonight which went to three high school kids who had been hanging out in electronics since before 6 this evening, waiting to see if there were any in tonight's freight. Working at WalMart previously, I know the shipments are random and the store doesn't know how many units (if any) they will receive each day. He said it brings back memories of the same people hanging around electronics each night as freight is opened (between 9PM and midnight) to see if any XBOXs and PS2s arrived. He said the same crowd of mostly college kids would gather each night about 7 or so and wait until the freight was brought out. This went on seven days a week for about a month and a half until one by one, they all picked one up. Too bad some of us have to work for a living.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Most of those acutions are being sniped by pissed off people that could not get an XBox at launch and others that have nothing better to do. Mostly they are going for around 1200 with a lot of extras with an MSRP of around $800.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

And has the seller received payment yet? Just because a lot of these auctions are going for insane money, it doesn't mean the y're genuine bids. Yes, there's 360s going for daft money, but don't fall for the hype that putting one on eBay will automatically get you $5000.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
I obviously don't have any concrete evidence, but I'm willing to bet that many of those ridiculously-high bids are shill bids...based on the fact that many of those bids are from users with very low (e.g., less than 5) feedback ratings. Yes, I'm presuming a bit there...since it is possible that there may be more than a few folks willing to shell out big bucks to buy an Xbox360 off Ebay who might not have initially had an Ebay account until that moment.

On a side note--there was one Ebay auction where the seller stated (yes, "stated"--I did not misread his description) that he had two Xbox360 Premiums to auction off...but the picture he posted showed one Premium and one Core. Also, there was another auction where the seller somehow managed to get his hands on four units (2 Premium and 2 Core) and post the auction for all four units before release day. Now how the hell is someone able to get four of these babies even before they've been released?

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
BrianB ~ When bidders don't pay, especially for things that end at such a high price, what does EBAY do? Is a bid a binding contract or is it pretty much just if they pay, they pay if not oh well?

There is one guy on there who has like 15 Xbox systems for auction. His highest one was going at $2300. I personally don't see why people would go to EBAY in the first place to bid on things like this when it will either be available soon or go down in price after a while. I guess if people are willing to bid on things and pay these outrageous prices, more power to them ( to those that are legit bids anyway).

I mean if its not one thing it's another right? Remember the whole Cabbage Patch Doll craze? Furbies? Beanie Babies? I guess games systems are no different.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

It's a binding contract as long as you can chase down & "make" the person pay somehow, in other words, it's between you & the buyer, eBay do not get involved.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
there was a story on slashdot today about a bunch of xbox 360s crashing, and on different games. it appears the systems run VERY hot, and some are shutting down as a result. for those of you with them, i'd keep them as ventilated as possible. maybe even play it outside with mike in wisconsin :)

CJ

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
And don't place them on a couch or a rug, etc. (as the manual warns) since ventilation is imperative. Yes, the unit runs a bit hot, but so far no problems with mine.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I bet a lot of these problems are from heatsink fans getting bumped off center during shipment. I havent had any problems with my system yet

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
Mine sits on top of my sub amp and is well ventilated, no problems. There is a lot of fan noise and heat being generated.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I work part-time at a local Best Buy... *shrug* I didn't pre-order one and I didn't even take one for myself. I figured I'll buy when the hype dies down a bit... maybe after the holidays.

I'm glad a few of you have gotten yours though... :)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
sorry,

does this mean if you only play in 720p (hi-def), it doesn't matter where your box or software comes from?

PAL/NTSC is not an issue?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
No, 3 that I know of - Japan/Asia, North America, PAL-land (Europe + Australisia). Not sure where other places end up being, like South America. Region coding is upto the publisher of the game, and a number of multiplayer titles on the Xbox & Xbox360 have been region free. But the vast majority will be region coded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks