What's new

*** Official *** XBox 360 Hardware DISCUSSION Thread (2 Viewers)

James T

Screenwriter
I heard the same thing way back in September.

I actually got into an arguement over someone over what Microsoft is doing. I still think this is Microsoft's biggest mistake to shortship everyone and leaving hundreds of thousands without a system. I just can't see how MS justifies losing out on holiday sales, the busiest time of the year and they've planned on losing a huge chunk already. The argument against mine was that it was a marketing strategy. What strategy? Unless MS is secretly working with eBay to make a chunk of change off the sales, I don't get it. Everyone who is interested in gaming is aware of the 360. That's all MS needs. Even my dad who hasn't touched a gaming console in his life asked me if I was going to pick one up on Nov 22.

Matt Leigh

Stunt Coordinator
I picked a 360 up day and date. Thankfully I did a pre-order about 2 months ago at Future Shop. So far I haven't had any problems with my machine. The games look great and run very smooth. The machine is about as loud as an old school slide projector and it does feel very warm to the touch after about 30 minutes.

I've been working pretty hard so I haven't spent a whole lot of quality time with it but so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit!

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

...and a pile of money on the table. The "strategy" would be to instill artificial demand for the product. People who are sitting on the fence all of a sudden realize it's the hottest ticket in town and figure "I'd better get one while I can" and will jump at their first opportunity. But without product this idea is tossed. I still can't imagine there will be NO shipments for the next 2 months. They haven't stopped building these things.

James T

Screenwriter
I wasn't arguing with that point, but I heard the same thing as Clinton. Stores will get shipments here and there a week at a time, but the motherload of shipments to satisfy demand won't be until next year.

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
One thing to also bear in mind is that Microsoft ships to warehouses for the retailers. And then the retailer determines who gets what quantity. (Unless Microsoft is dropshipping) but that would cost them even more.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I want to start by preferencing that I'm NOT a fan boy, but rather an "old" school guy that grew up with an Atari 2600. So, I own both a PS2 and XBox along with any software I want. That being said, I would like to point out what and why I think may happen with the 360.

Microsoft is basically creating hype for the 360 with an artificial short supply. However, what I haven't seen mentioned is that if indeed they wait until next year to ship I think it will be the BIGGEST mistake they have made and that's saying a lot. Why? Basically, they are aiming the 360 at non-hardcore gamers. No offense to those buying them, but we were discussing this the other day at another video game web site. What we found was those buying them were mainly your Madden, race car playing people that really wasn't into very expensive high-end PC gaming or building their own PC. They typically are not the type that will love games like the Sims2, Civ 4, Roller Coaster Tycoon, NWN 2, Dungeon Seige 2, etc. The reason for pointing it out is look at the demand and whose buying them. Even the casual gamer wants one, just like the Elmo phase, Cabbage Patch, etc. It's a limited target right now that is catching the spot light.

Now, assume they do continue to hype their 360 and market this way until early 2006. You are going to get two types of people then: one basically P.O.d at Microsoft, the gamer that couldn't get one for the holidays and two the hard-core guys that really don't care until they can see at least the PS3 since they are VERY happy with their high-end PC gaming. I think this will setup the PS3 next year and if Sony supplies the chain unlike Microsoft it could be VERY bad for Microsoft indeed.

Personally, I've seen it and am not blown away by it. Although I will get one next year when the hype dies down and things settle in just because I own both systems now, I think the PS3 may be primed to take over the market if Sony handles it right in 2006. Microsoft is making a VERY big marketing mistake here and could push more units into the homes of those non-hardcore PC gamers.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

I think that statement gives too much credit to the PC gaming crowd. PC gamers are the ones who are most likely to own all of the consoles. I'm not a PC gamer because I don't play enough games to justify spending money on a high end pc. When the PS2 was released I didn't buy it because I knew that the X Box had more impressive stats and that it would be on the shelves within a year. This time around it's a similar story but the consoles have changed places. The X Box is out first but the Playstation's stats are better to the point that when it comes out the X Box will have to slash it's price to stay competitive. That being the case I'm not buying either console until I can compare them side by side, game by game and dollar by dollar.

Neal_C

Second Unit
I managed to get my 360 on launch day at Sams Club. They had 20 units and I got there about 6:45 and I was #19. Lucky for me my dad is a business member and goes there and has been a member long enough that the picture is nearly worn off the back of his card. Used his Discover card with the same name and no problems at all.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Ok guys, for those still looking and in AZ, someone at xbox360.com got some inside info and supposedly Sears will be getting some at 12, you can check the above site for the post.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I was at EB this evening and they have been hearing weekly shipments until Christmas. BUT they expect those to cover the outstanding preorders and little more.

PatrickJB

Grip
"BUT they expect those to cover the outstanding preorders and little more. "

...which is why I personaly do not preorder from EBGames/GameSpot. Unless you are on the very top of the list you have money tied up with them...where otherwise you might be able to find it somewhere else sooner.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Not so with EB online. If you order from their website (not through their brick and mortar stores) your credit card doesn't get charged until just about the time the units ship. And at EB Online I ordered in August and got my 360 delivered to my door two days after launch.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Too bad no one seems to have any on hand on the last day of november, my daughter just got a core system off of eBay and paid $200+ over retail, oh those kids and their toys. :frowning:

Justin1

Stunt Coordinator
As someone who works at a major retailer, I have to put a few rumors to rest. First of all, Xbox 360's will probably not be shipping through store's individual distribution centers. In other words, Microsoft will direct ship the units to stores. This is five times quicker than having product flow through DC after DC until it hits individual store's shelves (usually takes a solid week even at the best DC). So, stores will more than likely NOT have units upon store opening. However, they would have units after their UPS/FEDEX shipment of the day. This would be the ideal question to ask your local stores. When do you typically receive your UPS/FEDEX shipment?

Also, every store is different in regards to receiving schedules. Not every store has the same number of trucks per week, let alone the same day(s) as any other store in their respective company. Therefore, the likelihood of a huge one day launch/relaunch (as rumored to happen at Best buy or Target) is almost completely impossible.

Lastly, the XBOX 360 is in such huge demand that retailers will immediatly put any incoming product on the shelves. You would have to be a total moron to hold product aside in order to create a false local media event. Retailers run on making sales quotas and leaving 10 Xbox's worth between $3,000 and $4,000 in the backroom is completely insane.

Hope this helps squash a few rumors and helps some of you find your unit!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks