What's new

*** Official STAR WARS Saga (episodes I to VI) Discussion Thread: Part 4 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Lucas doesn't have enough money. He has to take a run at the person who built the suits to begin with. Lucas really can be disgusting.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
Lucas doesn't have enough money. He has to take a run at the person who built the suits to begin with. Lucas really can be disgusting.
I wouldn't be so hard on him. He was protecting his company's copyrights, lest the floodgates open. I have no problem with the suit, nor with the result.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, George Lucas is very rich and he doesn't need any more money. However, I don't understand how anyone can defend the Stormtrooper suit guy. He manufactured the Stormtrooper suit and he was compensated for that. To my mind, that's the end of it for him. It's not as if anyone would want to buy a Stormtrooper costume if it hadn't been in Star Wars. Clearly, British law doesn't see it that way but I don't understand why the law allows people to profit from riding the coattails of others.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Obviously, neither side could have predicted how iconic these costumes would become back in 1976. Otherwise, none of those original trooper helmets in private hands today would ever have been tossed into a dumpster behind Elstree.
Lucas should just try to work out some licensing deal and be done with it. The "officially licensed" $800 stormtrooper costume that came out a few years ago is held in low regard by fan costumers. Some of the troopers that marched with George in the Rose Parade were probably wearing Ainsworth armor.
Has Lucasfilm ever sought legal action against all the people making these things in their basement and selling them on Ebay, or is that small potatoes?

Steve Batchelor

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Batchelor
Does anyone know if all the extras from the bonus disc in the previous DVD box set are ported over to the blue ray ?

Steve Batchelor

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Batchelor
I wonder if Lucas is now doing a modern scan of the negatives for 3D. I hope this will result in future blue rays that will eliminate certain flaws. I wonder if he will go back to the camera negatives and seps. This will give him a chance to give us the original triolgy as originaly shown.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
At 67, I sorta figured that he'd given up on ever doing smaller movies again and he'd be retiring all together. I'm sure he's always going to have the occasional idea for The Clone Wars show or if the live action Star Wars TV show or Indy 5 actually happen but it's nice to see him saying again that he wants to do some small artsy stuff.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://collider.com/rick-mccallum-red-tails-star-wars-tv-series-interview/138426/
Great Rick McCallum interview as always
Collider.com Episode I recently came out on Blu-ray, and you guys are getting ready to do a 3D re-release. Obviously I’m a fan of you guys, I’m a fan of Star Wars and I know that George likes to tinker and change. Is the 3D re-release any different than what just came out on Blu-ray or is it the same movie just in 3D?
McCallum: It’s the same movie in 3D
There is so much more

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Sam Favate said:
George Lucas to retire from blockbuster movies:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
Really good article about Lucas' life and career. Say what you will about his choices in the changes to the Star Wars films, his career has been remarkable. He set out to do something different and change the way movies were made and he did.
What, again? He's said that at least three times, both after Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith. And after the last one he did a Star Wars TV-series, Indy 4 and another SW series still to be made. Don't get me wrong, I rather liked THX 1138 (before he went and changed everything) and would love for him to do something like that again (he certainly has the money to do anything he want) but after so many years building an Empire, it's difficult to turn into a Rebel again.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Did you learn nothing from Anakin's journey? All he has to do is throw somebody down a bottomless pit and he'll be the George we used to know. Spielberg, maybe?

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Greg_S_H said:
Did you learn nothing from Anakin's journey? All he has to do is throw somebody down a bottomless pit and he'll be the George we used to know. Spielberg, maybe?
Please, no. Spielberg is still doing great work (IMHO). Maybe Rick McCallum?

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-lucas-star-wars-han-solo-greedo-318769?utm_source=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.starwars.com%2Fdata%2Fheadlines.xml&utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=starwars-site_rss
He acknowledged it was “confusing” in the original version of Star Wars who drew first, but said: “When I did the special edition, I decided to make it a little clearer that Greedo shot first. But, of course, that morality had obviously slipped out of the current thinking of most young people, and they liked the idea that Han Solo was a coldblooded killer.”

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Han is obligated to sit there and wait for the first shot and hope it misses, or he's coldblooded? It can still be self-defense even if you're the only one to fire a shot. I'd rather wonder, "Would that ruthless bounty hunter *not* have fired?" than be dead and let Chewie wonder, "Would Han still be here had he fired?"
This guy at the link says it better: "Lucas still doesn't get it. He develops an entire saga centered around redemption but insists that Han can't be a cold-blooded killer in one of his first scenes but becomes a selfless hero by the end of the same film. Remarkable."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
George Lucas has been saying that the audience didn't understand that Greedo shot first for a few years now and I always say that I wish he'd just be honest and say "I did it that way back in 1977 but I'm not comfortable with it anymore so I changed it. If you don't like it, too bad." rather than saying that there's confusion on the part of the audience. The scene is oddly edited but if Greedo was intended to shoot first, there was nothing stopping them from using the shot of Greedo shooting first (it was filmed in 1976 or 1977) that was eventually added to the SE.
There's certainly a chunk of SW fans that do like darker or downright cold blooded tales (most of the expanded universe is pretty dark stuff when compared to the movies) but this isn't a case of where the fans want to make Han 'cool' by having him be a badass. And I like to consider myself a relatively peaceful person but I certainly wouldn't consider someone in Han's position to be coldblooded. Coldblooded would be if he saw Greedo asking about him in the cantina and shot him in the back to stop him from coming after him at some point in the future.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
How can George have emulated so many westerns in SW, and then totally miss the point of a saloon shootout? I wasn't confused in 1977 about that scene, and I'm not confused now.
Since the Cantina set was rebuilt for the infamous Holiday Special, it seems be blew a perfect opportunity to reshoot to his heart's content.
I wonder how he feels about Indy shooting that swordsman these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks