What's new

*** Official Morrowwind (X Box & PC) Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

First of all, im haveing a ball.. Im still in the first part of the game, the first city. And its lots of fun.... I dont know if anyone out there has tried this or how much this may hurt my game later on but, I decided to go on a small crime spree.

The Tower sign lets you enter into doors, so of course im running around opening the doors. get caught pay 5 gold and rummage through the now unlocked houses... And im also working on killing the other towns people inside the rooms.

Not sure how much damage this will do to the game, but I have multiple saved files before my guy went nutty....

Great Game...

Any comments on my spree?

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Not true at all. There is a third person option. You can even rotate and zoom the camera in and out on the your character for better view. If it is in the PC version you will see it on the X-box.
Just to clarify, my friend was saying he couldn't find a 3rd-person option in the PC version. Are you saying it's available in both versions, or is it only an option in the XBox version?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Just to clarify, my friend was saying he couldn't find a 3rd-person option in the PC version. Are you saying it's available in both versions, or is it only an option in the XBox version?
That option is available in both versions of the game. If I remember correctly you would hit the "Tab" key on the keyboard to switch views on the PC game.

Damien

Supporting Actor
He played the game for 90 min., that isn't nearly enough time to grow with the game. The game is really complex, the guide is thicker than the bible. Then again so is GT2. It depends how much experience you have with the genere. Morrowind is a game that can last you a long time, so I wouldn't toss the game out on a first-impression, b/c he might miss out. But if he is totally bored with it than I of course he should get rid of it, but I suggest he should give it a chance first.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I'm wondering...Anyone else with a 16:9 Hi-def monitor playing the game? I would like to hear the opinion of someone else on how the game looks on your set?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
How's this for evil: UPS is scheduled to deliver my Xbox Morrowind and my GeForce4 on Monday! Decisions, decisions, decisions... Although Romier's description of Morrowind on HDTV leads me to think I will be installing the GeForce first. :frowning: No 16:9 and jaggy. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
-Dave

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
I think I'm realizing that as I get older my patience for engrossing games is less. I want something I can sit down with for 30-60 mins and feel like I did something. I'm sure its a good game overall. But I was not impressed by the combat. It seemed arbitrary at best. Hold down the right trigger to ready an attack, The longer you hold it the more dmg it does and the more fatigue it uses. But nowhere do they tell you if there is a maximum or any kind of indicator for how powerful a hit you are doing. I want more feedback. Maybe I'm more dissapointed with myself for not being as drawn into this game as I'd like. I've only once played a game for 90 minutes that I didn't like and then come back later and enjoy it. That was GT2. I think playing GT3 helped me appreciate this game more.

Mike

Brian E

Screenwriter
If I remember correctly you would hit the "Tab" key on the keyboard to switch views on the PC game.
That's correct.

I picked up the XBox version today, last one EB had. They said they had already sold a bunch. Looks good on my plain old TV. They did a good job translating the controls from the PC version. Kind of fun to be able to set in front of the TV and play a game like this. Can't wait for Project Ego.

Brian E

Screenwriter
If it's like the PC version you'll get some kind of message like "This path to your destiny is now closed you may continue, or start from a previous saved game" if you kill someone that's essential to the game. Just remember that when you pay your fine the guards also confiscate what you've stolen (in the PC Version anyway), so dump off stuff you want to keep before paying.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Yep, James, exactly what I mean. I wish I could take a movie of me playing the game. I would really help to visualize the "flickering" that occurs.

James St

Supporting Actor
I just tried the mpeg mode on my camera and filmed the intro sequence after the title screen but it was such low quality that it's not worth showing.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
This thread is now the OFFICIAL discussion thread for all things Morrowind on X-box. Owners of the existing PC game are free to contribute too.
Dan

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I can see how easy it is to get "lost" in this game and wondering what to do next. I've actually streamlined my priorities, already, so that I don't start spinning in circles, so to speak.
Within the 1st 4 hours of play I've met the guy in Balmora that's going to indoctrinate me into the deeper parts of the story, joined the Fighters Guild because I'm too much of a wimp to go further into the main story, did 1 quest for them so far, got my ass handed to me over and over again as I tried to do the 1st mission for my main man in Balmora, and I want to head back to Seyda Neen to wipe out the smugglers in the cave, join up with the Thieves Guild to help them overthrow the main "mafia", and dig deeper in the Imperial Guards cult since I'm an Imperial.
...man, that's just a literal shard off of the tip of the massive iceberg that this game is.
For what it's worth, my race is Imperial, was deemed a Barbarian due to my answers and, I was born under the sign of the thief.
Oh yeah, the water. Wow! Just one question though, does it always move with the exact same surface "speed". Seems like there is only 2 water animations; the normal and the raindrop. There should be some slow moving streams and some still pools. Are there such? I've seen SOOOOO little of the game so far.
Scratch me up on the side of the fence that isn't too impressed with the fighting. I know this isnt' DOA3. Wasn't expecting it but, imho; the fighting REALLY take some gettin' used to. My intial reaction is: it sucks.
But, I'm here for the story and the massive adventure. I'll suffer through the lame fighting just to experience the cooler shit like a immensely huge, completely open ended adventure.
Nice!!!! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

James St

Supporting Actor
I'm having a problem with the fighting as well....I can't. Every time I get in a fight I get my ass kicked. So far only things I have killed is those slugs on the side of the road on my way to Balmora. I was ordered to kill a couple of guys in Balmora but they keep jumping me when ever I try. I'll get maybe a swing or two in before I'm dead.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I'm having a problem with the fighting as well....I can't. Every time I get in a fight I get my ass kicked. So far only things I have killed is those slugs on the side of the road on my way to Balmora. I was ordered to kill a couple of guys in Balmora but they keep jumping me when ever I try. I'll get maybe a swing or two in before I'm dead.
It depends on what kind of character class you select or create. For me I created a custom class called the "Armsmen". My main attributes are strength and speed. He has specializations in Heavy Armor, Long Blade, Athletics and Destruction magic.

Within the first few hours of gameplay I bought 3 swords in the beginning town of Seyda Neen. One of which was a 2-handed claymore. At this point I'm finding things are far to *easy*. I can kill those worm creatures in one swoop. The larger bi-ped creatures are easily dispatched. I've raided several tombs and have no problems dispatching skeleton warriors or those larger bone creatures. The smuggler caves are a cinch.(Only had problems with a really nasty Orc!)

My Armsmen is currently level 4. Like I said, things are much easier than when I played my "Infiltrator" on the PC version of the game (Stealth, short blade, light armor, Marksman). With him I have to sneak very frequently and suprise enemies to do a good bit of damage off the bat. If I dont get the upper hand the fight could go either way (The Infiltrator is level 5 right now).

The main point of advice I could give you when concerning fighting is pay close attention to what skills you give your character and stay within those boundaries. Make sure to upgrade your weapons and armor as soon as possible also. At the beginning explore the country side and eliminate as many creatures as possible until you hit level 2 (Not to mention you can find a mage who falls out of the sky, a hidden flame sword and several other goodies). Once you hit level 2, go to the cave next to the stilt rider in Seyda Neen. There are low level smugglers there that yield good experience and good items.

If possible I would stay in Seyda Neen until you are at least level 4. From there progress to Balmora. You should be built up enough to take on some of the more dangerous creatures on the way and have a good base to work off of for the rest of the game.

Hope that helps!

James St

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Romier
I finished an all nighter with this one, one of many more to come I'm sure. I started playing and before I new it, it was 6 a.m.:eek:. I went house to house stealing everything I could in Balmora and Suran to pay for my training and weapons. I accidentally tried selling back something to the trader that I stole it from:b. I've gotten up to level 3 and dispatched the smugglers in the first cave with ease. Now that I built myself up enough I can start going after the smugglers to support my training and arms.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Wow, you guys are rocking along! I played for at least 6 hours over the weekend, and just barely got to level 2. The way I answered questions made me a Bard, and although I have major skills in Long Blade and Blocking, and a minor in Medium armor, combat has been tough. I can get past the first smuggler outside of Seyda Neen, but the second guy incinerates me every time. I'm trying to decide if I should join the Fighter's Guild or the Imperial Legion to build up experience. But this game has me totally hooked...my personal criteria for a great game is one that you can sit down to play for an hour at 10:00pm, and when you look up to see how close to 11 it is, it's 3:30am. This game has definitely met that!
Also, I've got a wide-screen hi-def monitor (Pioneer 610HD) and so far the game looks quite good. I have never played the PC version so I can't run a direct comparison, but didn't have nearly as many jaggies as I thought I would upon reading some of the earlier remarks about the game. Popup is another thing altogether, though. It's kind of weird to see trees in the distance drawing themselves as you get closer. More than once I panicked thinking there was a Cliff Racer coming to get me, only to discover it was a partially-rendered tree branch that fleshed out as I got closer. But overall I am very happy with the way the game looks, especially that sweet, sweet water. :)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying to decide if I should join the Fighter's Guild or the Imperial Legion to build up experience.
Why not do both? That's what I'm doing :) So far my character is affiliated with the Blades, the Thieves Guild, the Fighters Guild, the Mages Guild, the Imperial Cult, and House Hlaalu, and I'd like to join the Imperial Legion and Morag Tong as well. In the long term the commitments to the different factions will likely conflict (I just got a job from the Fighters Guild woman in Balmora to knock off a bunch of Thieves Guild members. Hmmm...) but in the short term you won't have any lack of tasks to be pursuing and you'll have access to lots of training and equipment and other options (Mages Guild is good for having the teleport option to travel). Worst part is that your journal gets even more cluttered up and it's confusing to keep track of some of the quests you're given :)

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Join both, eh? Hmm...hadn't thought of that. Somehow I thought it was either or. I guess not, though, since your social calendar seems to be pretty full! :) Thanks, I think I just may do that.
I think the problem that I am having with the game so far is that I am not used to such an open-ended style of RPG. I cut my teeth on Square's RPGs, so I'm used to there being pretty much one way to complete a quest. With Morrowind, I am frequently paralyzed with indecision because I can't figure out what the "right" way to play is. For example, I am always broke, but I can't bring myself to jack the chests and sacks that I find in people's houses. Not because I am a particularly noble person (:)), but because I am used to playing a noble person in RPGs. So I've got a bit of un-learning to do before I can really settle down and enjoy the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks