What's new

**Official FAHRENHEIT 9/11 Discussion Thread - READ GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!*** (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Actually I just watched Fog of War last night again to think about this a bit. Other than the fact that Errol Morris is a far better filmmaker than Michael Moore, there are a few specifics that we might consider.

·Although the films sort of seem to be about the same type subjects (controversial wars), they are fundamentally about very different things and have very different objectives. In Fog of War, Errol Morris is considering the life (mostly public) f a major public figure of the mid-twentieth century. Not only that he is making a film where the focus is not biographical, but auto-biographical. Where the subject presents his own view of himself and his actions and their consequences.

Fahrenheit 9/11 is a film that is all about Bush and his (in Moore’s view) incompetence. More so, why he not the man to be running the country.

·This means that Morris allows McNamara to speak for himself and present his view of himself and his conduct in two wars. Along the way we get some fascinating views of other personalities—men like Curtis LeMay. So Morris, because is making a different film can let McNamara speak for himself.

But Moore is not starting out with an objective of letting Bush (or anyone) present his own story. His intent is to show Bush as Moore sees Bush, not as Bush sees Bush. Morris however is showing us how McNamara sees McNamara, not how Morris (or anyone) sees McNamara.

·But is Morris’ film balanced (I won’t even bother to consider Moore’s here, as we will accept that his film is not balanced). I would suggest that it is as unbalanced as Moore’s film. For example, although there is some recordings of meetings to back up McNamara’s claims, we never get any challenge to anything he says. What we are seeing is Robert S. McNamara’s view of his (and others’) conduct. And we are getting it from the most disinterested party possible. And so unchallenged that it hardly apparent that anyone is asking questions.

Who asks any questions of McNamara’s view of what Curtis LeMay wanted to do during the Cuban missile crises, for example. No one—we just take McNamara’s word for it and the movie goes on.

So in the end, while the movie is no more balanced than Fahrenheit 9/11, Morris does what he intends: he lets McNamara speak for himself.

·Now here comes the tricky part (and I think political persuasion makes no difference). One begins to wonder why a person like McNamara, who was so controversial and involved in so very many controversial decisions is not questioned more sharply. I sit on the edge of my chair wanting someone to say, ‘but wait, how about… ’. The opposite with Moore, where one wonders why everything is reduced to such black and white simplicity. This I think is one reason why Morris is the better filmmaker.

·Morris however, has it both ways. He lets McNamara present his own view, but as the movie goes along, we begin to be aware that there is someone else in the room asking questions. And the unseen interviewer’s comments become a litter bit more distinct as the movie progresses. Until at the end when McNamara either cannot or will not answer the final few, but most important points, we come to a very mixed view of the man. Even though he has presented his own case, we don’t necessarily believe that he has even been honest with himself the whole time (as introspective as he clearly is).

I did not bother to go into how the two filmmakers use outside graphical elements to make their points and other items. In the end, Moore has laid a charge at the administration’s feet that is a mixed bag: some things can be challenged for cause, but some things are hard to impossible for anyone to dismiss. Morris however has let McNamara charge himelf.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
That's all normal DC-insider lingo, but for the most part these people are reputable sources. Obviously, many people don't want to give their identity away for fear of reprisal from or embarassment to the administration, so they're identified by the journalists as "top-level officials" and such. For the most part, these are trusted sources, some of them go public (i.e., Richard Clarke), some don't ("Deep Throat"). It's the way things get done here, to keep the status quo and minimize press/administration antagonism, although this administration has been having more than the usual amount of leaks by anonymous higher-ups.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member

I realize that there will be some isolated instances in which the source is really credible but for the most part, I still can't take them at face value.

Just last week the Drudge Report had a report (I'm paraphrasing now), "from one of the highest source in Washington DC" that Hillary Clinton will be named VP by Kerry. This "inside scoop" was also picked up by some radio talk shows. Well, we all know now what happened and as such, that "reputable source" wasn't all that reputable after all.

No, thank you.

~Edwin

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I should have clarified that these sources are usually reliable when quoted in more reputable places, like established print and multimedia publications. There are notable exceptions, like Judith Miller, who prompted the NY Times to apologize for allowing her to report dishonest, erroneous, and sometimes completely made-up information from sources within the administration and military during the period leading to the war.

In Drudge's case, almost anywhere but NewsMax and Indymedia is more reputable, and he's become the laughingstock of internet media. It's pretty safe to disregard much of what he says.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member

At least they were bold enough to report that Newsweek said that they only get it right (I can't remember the exact number now but it is) somewhere in the 30's percent range, most of the time. :)

~Edwin

Jack Savage

Auditioning
I will say this about F911, if the movie is correct -- or if Democrats have a way to prove that the Bush administration is corrupt and made up a threat that never existed- then the Democrats should not only win but some people of the current administration should go to jail.

My problem with this movie revolves around that itching feeling --that I think any bipartisan and intelligent person might have- that a movie trying to sell me on the lies of an administration is itself a lie. There are ways that Moore frames sequences that immediatly set off red flags in my mind. Something was not right.

Is it possible that Moore made great points? I believe that there was much to be questioned. However, did Moore give us an honest look at this story? I never felt he did. I guess I wanted to feel moved one way or the other and yet I walked out feeling conned by the Bush administration and Michael Moore.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Then the question I guess people should be asking themselves if they feel they've been conned by both Moore and the administration is "Which of these two could conceivably affect my life or the lives of millions of others?" I'm pretty sure lies (even small ones) from one of those two is exponentially scarier than the other. I'm guessing that's somewhat the point of the movie: if the material is new to you and you're undecided, even if not all of it is true, what if some of it is? And what are the consequences for us?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
True, but further discussion along those lines would be outside the bounds that Michael Reuben noted in his last post. It's tempting, I know, but let's try to keep this thread on track. Thanks!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I won't debate this point in the manner that Jack warns against. What I will say is that in regards to how the two sides USING THESE METHODS could affect our lives, it is exactly the same. We aren't comparing political decisions with a film, we are comparing political salesmanship by the administration to political salesmanship by Moore, and the results of THAT could/would generally be identical. We would vote, choose, or whatever in a way that followed the persuasion of the salesmen. In that regard any "wrong" choice could be terrible or any right choice could change the world perhaps.

Or in other words, if Moore had done F911 but from a pro-Bush stance, wouldn't that really just be the same as the Bush admin is being accussed of (which prompted your question)?

We aren't comparing policy making with filmmaking, we are comparing various forms of propoganda media for the sake of analyzing how Moore's film fits into the grand scheme of the field.

After all, before you can have the power to do things you must first sell yourself and your ideas to the people who will allow you to take those actions. Its true in our society, it was true even in places like Germany 1930 or France 1790 or whereever. It is not unique to a certain system or political view. Even a military dictator "sells himself" with fear by killing his enemies; the people could always stand against him, or the military or whomever he has convinced.

Moore wants people to vote a certain way, the film is clear about that. If the film is persuasive enough then they will. The results would be that a person would gain real political power and could then make serious choices affecting our lives (they could be great choices or terrible choices, but they will affect us just as much as if someone else was making them).

That's why its all the same thing.

I don't deny Moore's right to do so and I understand the idea of "well they do it so I'm doing it", I just find it to be cheaper filmmaking, less persuasive than it could be, and unfortunately thinner than this topic might have allowed the film to be.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I agree, and would note that CtFriedman's has a similar arc, the film sets you up to feel that its black and white but as it goes along things get grayer and grayer. I think BfC even had more of this than F911 did.

I'm enjoying the discussion, its giving me a lot to reflect on and a lot of new insights from others. I'd stay 10 miles away from this thread at this point were this not the case. :D

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
A Canadian Viewer's Perspective:

I enjoyed the film but for about 20 minutes before the last 10 minutes... (dragged a bit here)

I believe Michael Moore has made a very important film...

Positives:

-Depicting recruiters in the same vein as ambulance chasing lawyers. Amazing material.

-A chronology of the voting history leading up to the current administration.

-Some curious responses to events were presented very well. There are numerous instances that cause the viewer to reflect (for example: )

I as well remember the secret service agent being shown on CNN whispering into the ear of the President and his immediate response.

I also remember the day on the flight deck when the mission was declared a success.

What could be better:

Michael is capable of much more.

-Depict the tragedy. Show the pain of the public more clearly. Remind us of what loss is on September 11 and why we should strive to do more to protect our freedom. Terror wasn't clearly shown and Michael is leaving us to fill in the rest of the pictures from our memories. (Why?)

-Replay the chronology of material and official press releases on why Iraq was suddenly the focus.

-Explain how Afghanistan turned from a country that we sympathized with to a country that was lead by leaders that stood against western culture.

Misses:

-Anyone who loses a child in conflict is immediately going to question the conflict and look to lay blame. As heart-wrenching as this was, this didn't fit Michael's intended questioning of the current administration's policies.

I suggest that anyone who lost a child in Desert Storm or other conflict on other nation's soils is going to have the same gutwrenching affect on the mother of that child and she will always question why.

Sorry Michael, I found this a little distasteful in how you were using someone's grief to provide a tool for your film.

-Sensationalism. Yes, the media hyped all sorts of fearmongering. There was good reason for this. People were damn scared and Anthrax was being used as a tool. I don't understand how Michael tried to present this as something that the Bush Adminstration orchestrated.

Bowling for Columbine was so much better in spite of the inaccuracies within that film.;)

Political views were purposely not included in this analysis.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I finally saw this film today. I have a lot to say about it, but almost all of it goes against HTF guidelines. So this will be rather short. :)

I've heard time and time again, where a film, 100% completely fictional, is hailed as revealing 'profound truths'. Well if a film that's 100% fictional can do so, then I see no reason why a film that's 99% true and accurate, and 1% subjective cinematic editing can't do so. And in my opinion, Fahrenheit 9/11 does just that - reveals a profound and ugly truth. I didn't think it was possible, but I'm far more angry and bitter and depressed about the principals of this film now, than I was before.

I have a standing rule that I never label a film 'great', unless it has at the very least rewatchability. F 9/11 doesn't have that for me. I won't be buying this dvd, because I would find it too depressing to watch again. Yet, I'm torn about how to label this film. Because, except for the fact that it's not rewatchable for me, it's a truly great film.

I'd better not say anything else. [bites tongue painfully]

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I saw this movie on Thursday, the last day it was in town. I don't know why I kept putting off seeing, but I'm glad I watched it in the theater instead of DVD.

Michael Moore does a great job combining the footage into something that makes sense. Considering the wide range of available stuff, it must have been hard to put it together. I wonder how this will look on the DVD considering the variety of image clarity and look.

Most of the stuff at the beginning, I knew about. What I didn't know was about the Represetatives trying to contest the election and failing. That surprised me. I felt sorry for Al Gore having to gavel those people down since they didn't meet the requirements for protesting.

The section with Lila Lipscomb was emotional, especially when she's reading the letter and confronting that ignorant woman who belittles her in Washington.

The most disturbing thing about the film, outside of the graphic footage, was the fact that most of the bills don't even get read before being voted. I know that the Congressman's/Representative's staff usually prepares a synopsis for them to read, but just the fact that the entire thing usually isn't read makes me worry. I won't elaborate any further for fear of violating guidelines.

I was surprised that Michael Moore didn't appear more often in the movie. It was basically a cameo, which is good since he didn't have to show up to make the movie interesting.

I wish MM would have interviewed soldiers who believed that what they and the Bush administration was doing is right, just to contrast the ones that they did show lambasting the war and the administration.

About the shots of the Iraqis civilian life before showing the aftermath of the bombings, I believe it was there to put a human face on the people of Iraq as noted earlier in this thread.

This is a terrific thread so far. Keep up the good work everyone!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
quote:Remind us of what loss is on September 11 and why we should strive to do more to protect our freedom I agree. I felt that he owed the debate a little bit of context in this regard. What I mean is that some more content on terrorism and attacks on Americans prior to Bush Jr taking office, if only to help show what aspects he thinks are worse since that point.

For example, say everyday of the month its 20 degrees out, then I show up and you say "ever since you've been here its been cold". True, but it implies a cause-effect relationship that in this case is silly. If you could at least show that it only became cold the day I arrived, your point would gain a lot more strength (you'd still be hard pressed in explaining how this relationship worked, but on the surface it would appear to be there).

I also think the idea of counter-stances from other soliders who don't agree with his points would have helped. Your argument becomes stronger when you address your opponents counter-points more.

As I said before, the film lacks the argumentative power of such an approach and in the end played much more like the one-sided spin Moore blasts the Bush team for using (and I don't deny that they do).

Maybe its just the medicine they deserve but for me it really only serves to annoy me as much as when politicians do it.

I don't think it is as rewatchable as BFC, but I would watch it again. You don't have to 100% agree with what a person is saying to enjoy hearing them say it.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks