What's new

***Official 7th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge*** (3 Viewers)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

So far this challenge I've been watching alot of 70's european films. And I've come to the conclusion that modern horror is alot tamer than it used to be in the past. Sure the blowtorch in Hostel caught me totally by suprise, but the Final Destination or Saw franchises? The violence seems almost cartoon-like compared to what teenagers were accustomed to 30 years ago (OK, fake blood looks more realistic now). And don't even get me started on the lack of nekkid/mostly nekkid women in todays movies.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
If anyone is in the SE Wisconsin area (near Milwaukee) this Fri/Sat/Sun, you might be interested in this: www.itcamefromlakemichigan.com . It's a horror film festival for independent films and shorts produced in the Midwest. Since I am off work on Fri and Sun I may just stop by to check out the action!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Beast of Borneo, The (1934) :star:

A mad scientist needs certain animals to continue his experiments so he travels to a jungle to locate them including one half man, half ape creature. This low budget shockers only real horror element is the scientist and the man in the ape suit. Even at 63-minutes this thing is deadly dull and lifeless without one thing going for it. The man in the ape suit gets several laughs, which presents this from being a total waste of time.

Omen, The (2006) :star::star:1/2

Decent remake of the classic Gregory Peck film has new parents (Liev Schreiber/Julia Stiles) getting a new son who just happens to be the son of Satan. I think the original film is one of the most chilling ever made with a strange religious nature as well as some unsettling death scenes. This new version is certainly watered down in some aspects but it works quite well up until the ending, which just had to go for a political punch. Why is it Hollywood can't come up with original ideas yet they think they can make the world a better place? Anyways, I've never been a fan of the two leads but they actually deliver fine performances as does David Thewlis and Pete Postlethwaite. Mia Farrow is wasted in a rather silly performance. This certainly doesn't touch the original film but it's better than the sequels and makes for an entertaining 90-minutes.

Devil's Possessed, The (1974) :star::star:

Spanish horror film with Paul Naschy is pretty much Mark of the Devil meets The Adventures of Robin Hood. Naschy plays an evil king who's trying to locate of jewel that will give him eternal life. While searching for that he spends the rest of his days torturing poor people but a Robin Hood like character shows up to challenge him. If you're expecting a gore soaked film then you'll be highly disappointed because this thing would probably get a PG rating. I'm not really sure what it is but I found myself enjoying this a bit more than its rather poor reputation. There's no nudity and very little blood but I enjoyed it somewhat.

2006 Horror Challenge

01. Crime of Dr. Crespi, The (1935) :star::star:
02. Missing Guest, The (1938) :star::star:
03. Torture Ship (1939) :star::star:
04. Hand of Death (1962) :star::star::star:
05. Last Shark, The (1981) :star::star:1/2
06. School Killer (2001) :star::star::star:1/2
07. Blackenstein (1973) :star:1/2
08. Dr. Black, Mr. Hyde (1976) :star::star:1/2
09. You'll Find Out (1940) :star::star:1/2
10. Weird Woman (1944) :star::star:1/2
11. Dead Man's Eyes (1944) :star::star::star:
12. Jess Franco's Perversions (2005) :star:1/2
13. Oomo-Oomo, The Shark God (1949) :star::star:
14. Terror From the Year 5000 (1958) :star::star:
15. Zombie '90 Extreme Pestilence (1991) :star:1/2
16. House of Terror (1959) :star::star:1/2
17. Chaos (2005) :star::star::star:
18. I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer (2006) :star::star:
19. Imprint (2006) :star::star::star:
20. Lugosi: Hollywood's Dracula (1997) :star::star::star:
21. That's the Spirit (1933) :star::star:
22. Midnight Menace (1946) :star:
23. Monkey's Paw, The (1948) :star::star:
24. Host to a Ghost (1941) :star::star:1/2
25. Motor Home Massacre (2005) BOMB
26. Absurd (1981) :star::star:
27. Frankenstein (1931) :star::star::star::star:
28. Frankenstein (1910) :star::star::star:
29. Ninth Guest, The (1934) :star::star::star:
30. Undying Monster, The (1942) :star::star::star:
31. I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1957) :star::star::star:
32. Never Too Late (1937) :star::star:1/2
33. Murder in the Red Barn, The (1935) :star::star:1/2
34. Crocodile (2000) :star::star:
35. Dance of the Dead (2005) :star::star:
36. Black Dahlia (2006) BOMB
37. Cemetery of Terror (1985) :star:
38. Revenge of the Living Dead Girls (1987) :star::star::star:
39. Frozen Ghost, The (1945) :star::star:1/2
40. Strange Confession (1945) :star::star::star:
41. Pillow of Death (1945) :star:1/2
42. Flying Serpent, The (1946) :star::star:1/2
43. Visitor Q (2001) :star::star:
44. Ringu (1998) :star::star::star:
45. Vampiri, I (1956) :star::star:
46. Laurel-Hardy Murder Case, The (1930) :star::star::star:1/2
47. Maniac (1934) BOMB
48. Raven, The (1935) :star::star::star::star:
49. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The (1974) :star::star::star:
50. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, The (1987) :star::star:1/2
51. Man From Beyond, The (1922) :star::star:
52. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The: The Beginning (2006) :star::star:1/2
53. Frankenstein, El Vampiro Y Compania (1962) 1/2:star:
54. Hands of Orlac, The (1924) :star::star::star:
55. Beast of Borneo, The (1934) :star:
56. Omen, The (2006) :star::star:1/2
57. Devil's Possessed, The (1974) :star::star:

Rick Spruill

Stunt Coordinator
After having watched some real crap (Bad Inclination, Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks) in the last couple of days, I decided to watch a few old favorites:

Bride of Frankenstein (1935, James Whale)
Son of Frankenstein (1939, Rowland V. Lee)
The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942, Erle C. Kenton)

These films have been discussed to death, so I'll just say that after rewatching Son, I've decided that it may be my favorite of the series. I've watched a lot of the Sherlock Holmes films in the past few months and have really grown to love Rathbone's work. Plus, Lugosi gives what I consider his best performance. Bride is a lot of fun, but it seems a little too campy at times. As for Ghost, I actually enjoyed it more this time than ever before.

1. The Mole People (1956, Virgil W. Vogel) - :star::star::star:
2. The Devil's Wedding Night (1973, Luigi Batzella) - :star:
3. The Monolith Monsters (1957, John Sherwood) - :star::star::star:
4. The Black Castle (1952, Nathan Juran) - :star::star:
5. Mako: The Jaws of Death (1976, William Grefe) - BOMB

6. Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954, Jack Arnold) - :star::star::star::star:
7. Tarantula (1955, Jack Arnold) - :star::star::star:
8. Deep Red (1975, Dario Argento) - :star::star::star::star:
9. Calling Dr. Death (1943, Reginald LeBorg) - :star::star::star:
10. Spoorloos (1988, George Sluizer) - :star::star::star::star:
11. The Queen of Spades (1949, Thorold Dickinson) - :star::star::star::star:
12. Weird Woman (1944, Reginald LeBord) - :star::star::star:
13. Dead Man's Eyes (1944, Reginald LeBord) - :star::star:
14. Mad Love (1935, Karl Freund) - :star::star::star::star:
15. The Mask of Fu Manchu (1932, Charles Brabin) - :star::star::star::star:
16. The Cat and the Canary (1927, Paul Leni) - :star::star::star:
17. Mark of the Vampire (1935, Tod Browning) - :star::star:
18. Dark Waters (1994, Mariano Baino) - :star::star:
19. King of the Zombies (1941, Jean Yarbrough) - :star::star:
20. Doctor X (1932, Michael Curtiz) - :star::star::star:
21. The Return of Doctor X (1939, Vincent Sherman) - :star::star:
22. The Mummy (1932, Karl Freund) - :star::star::star::star:
23. I Walked with a Zombie (1943, Jacques Tourneur) - :star::star::star::star:
24. Bad Inclination (2003, Pierfrancesco Campanella) - BOMB
25. The Climax (1944, George Waggner) - :star:
26. Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks (1974, Robert Oliver) - BOMB
27. Bride of Frankenstein (1935, James Whale) - :star::star::star::star:
28. Son of Frankenstein (1939, Rowland V. Lee) - :star::star::star::star:
29. The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942, Erle C. Kenton) - :star::star::star:

Totals: 29 (15 New, 14 Repeats)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I got in 2 more last night whaich I think brings my total to 50, but I seem to have counting issues, so I might still be a little lean..

Calling Doctor Death 3/5 : My first look into the inner sanctum, and it was pretty good. Lots of weird elements helped boost this mystery out of a low key noir rut. I'm looking forward to the others, especially "The Pillow Of Death" which is as geniously titled as "Death Bed"

Sadomania 2/5 : This was described as sick, yet I didn't find it to be much more then a pervy WIP flick. not the worst, but no "Big Doll House" either.

My tally:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...99&postcount=3

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
FRIDAY THE 13TH :star: 1/2
[Dir: Sean Cunningham, 1980]

Very odd experience as this film began to unreel before my eyes. Though I would have bet money to the contrary, apparently I've never seen this film before. A couple of scenes were familiar, probably from horror clip shows, but overall it was a new experience...though not necessarily a great one.

This film certainly shows it's low budget. Dark, murky lighting so you can't see anything very well. Primitive special effects achieved largely though some awkward editing. Awful acting and silly reactions to some of the events. But then, this was the origin for many of the more ridiculous slasher movie cliches that would infect future genre pics. And as for the identity of the killer, I refuse to believe they had the strength necessary to accomplish many of the murders portrayed in the film. Not to mention it seemed like a classic deus ex machina where the character isn't even introduced until the final reveal and via creation of a sudden and convenient backstory, so there's no possible way for the viewer to "solve" the mystery as the story unfolds.

So, all in all I found my first experience with the first Friday film to be rather frustrating.

FRIDAY THE 13TH - PART 2 :star: :star: 1/2
[Dir: Steve Miner, 1981]

Again, as with the first film, I was sure I must have seen this film before, but again it was largely unfamiliar except for a scene or two. I know I have seen several Friday films, but I would have been too young to see these film in the theater so I must have just jumped into the middle of the series somewhere and never got back to see the first films.

Part 2 is much better than the original film, IMO. Jason, at this point, is still an effective, creepy character before overexposure turned him into the pseudo-parody, yet iconic, slasher that he is today. The cast/characters were much more interesting, as well, even if half of them did suddenly disappear halfway through the film for their "last night out" on the town.

The premise is still pretty tenuous with regard to any logic. The set-up exposition by the camp owner about "Jason" is pretty good, but would have been even more convincing had they set the films more than 5 years apart. Even if you buy into the fact that the Jason at the end of Part 1 was really still alive, and not a zombie-like apparition, there's no way in 5 years he would have grown into the character in Part 2. But at least he was an actual character in the film, and had more presence, than was accomplished in the first film where the killer seemed to be more of an unknown "force" than anything else.

I was disappointed with some of the kills...
I mean, you have a potential victim hanging upside down and helpless in the middle of the woods and the most imaginative thing Jason can come up with is a quick throat slash? My first sick thought was "Pinata!", my second was bisection from stern to stem. But no. Also, the garrotte for Crazy Ralph comes straight down from above his head. How did Jason get it around the tree, and above Ralph's head, for that to even be possible?
So I found the second film much better than the first, though I guess for maximum enjoyment of most of these films you still need to set logic aside before you press "play". ;)

2006 Scary Movie Challenge Summary
Newly-experienced in bloody dark red
, based on a 4-star rating:

THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES :star: :star: :star:
COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE! :star: :star:
DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN! :star: :star:
THE EXORCIST III :star: :star: 1/2
FINAL DESTINATION 2 :star: :star:
FINAL DESTINATION 3 :star: :star: :star:
THE GHOUL :star: :star: 1/2
THE GRUDGE - Unrated Director's Cut :star: :star: 1/2
THE SENTINEL :star: :star:
SUSPIRIA :star:
TERROR TRAIN :star: :star:
TWICE TOLD TALES :star: :star:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I really liked the gore in the first one. I didn't remember it much when I re-visited it last year, but it impressed me. Maybe it was just because I was used to the murky VHS tapes for all those years. I agree with the ending though, as neat as the reveal was, it didn't really make sense in the world the film set up.

The second one would probably be my second favorite after part 4 which I still think is an awesome movie.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
28) Eyes Without a Face - Interesting B&W French thriller involves a doctor who is consumed with guilt for having a car accident in which his daughter basically lost her face. Now he finds young women, imprisons them and removes their faces in an effort to restore his daughter's looks. Interesting idea and some good moments, but was a bit of a disappointment in the end. The ending was a bit too easy.
3.5/5

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I have Eye's Without Face in my pile to watch. One day I'll have to do "Subtitled Horror Night" and get it viewed.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
10/17/06
I watched Masters Of Horror: Pick Me Up. Like almost all of the MOH episodes, I liked it but it wasn't anything great. I thought the concept of trucker maniac vs. hitchiking maniac with Fairuza Balk in the middle was pretty cool.
I also enjoyed the bits of humor throughout the episode. Overall, a MOH solid entry but nothing Earth shattering.

My list so far...
(new titles in bold)
01. Dr. Giggles
02. Halloween II
03. A Nightmare On Elm Street
04. The Funhouse
05. The Woods
06. The Devil Bat
07. Doctor X
08. The Return Of Doctor X
09. Mad Love(1935)
10. Venom (2005)
11. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
12. Friday The 13th
13. Don't Answer The Phone
14. Friday The 13th Part 2
15. Friday The 13th Part 3
16. May
17. Friday The 13th- The Final Chapter
18. Friday The 13th Part V- A New Beginning
19. Friday The 13th Part VI- Jason Lives
20. April Fool's Day
21. Friday The 13th Part VII- The New Blood
22. Friday The 13th Part VIII- Jason Takes Manhattan
23. Masters Of Horror: Pick Me Up

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I can't believe that after 18 days and how many hundreds of movies everyone has watched, and not a single Cronenberg.

29) eXistenZ
"My dog brought me this"

It's some time in the not too distant future and gaming has reached the virtual reality level. You no longer simply play a game, but live it, by "jacking in" through a port installed directly into your spine. Jennifer Jason Leigh is Allegra Geller, the greatest game designer in the world. While premiering her newest game, an attempt is made to assassinate her, with a gun made of flesh and bone that uses human teeth as projectiles, as Cronenberg returns to his flesh fetish of Rapid and Videodrome. eXistenZ is a bizarre trip through the surreal and not to everyone's tastes. Personally, I love it. It's weird, abstract and doesn't entirely make sense. Once, another HTFer criticized me for considering it horror, but it is distinctly horror to me.
4.5/5

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
10/18/06
I watched the new DVD of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2. I had checked the movie out a few years ago just to see if it was 'as bad as I remembered' and I was pleasntly surprised that I liked it much more than the first time I saw it. I'm never going to consider this a classic but it desrves a better rep than it's got.

My list so far...
(new titles in bold)
01. Dr. Giggles
02. Halloween II
03. A Nightmare On Elm Street
04. The Funhouse
05. The Woods
06. The Devil Bat
07. Doctor X
08. The Return Of Doctor X
09. Mad Love(1935)
10. Venom (2005)
11. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
12. Friday The 13th
13. Don't Answer The Phone
14. Friday The 13th Part 2
15. Friday The 13th Part 3
16. May
17. Friday The 13th- The Final Chapter
18. Friday The 13th Part V- A New Beginning
19. Friday The 13th Part VI- Jason Lives
20. April Fool's Day
21. Friday The 13th Part VII- The New Blood
22. Friday The 13th Part VIII- Jason Takes Manhattan
23. Masters Of Horror: Pick Me Up
24. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Last year was better for cronenberg and the challenge with both The Fly and Videodrome getting really good DVD releases prior to the challenge. I plan on watching "Dead Zone" at some point this month. I;m finding my schedual to be a little goofed though.

Weird Woman 3/5 : Another Onner Sanctum and another good movie! I like the mix of wierd (in this case voodoo witchcraft) and psychologic/phsychiatric mumbo jumbo that mixes. I was expecting an occult detective series based on the titles, but these have been pretty great.

Page 1 has my tally. I forgot to paste the link.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Lucky duck. I've been anticipating this since it was announced, more so then the original Texas. It hasn't appeared in the local shops yet and my Amazon pre-order probably wont arrive in time to watch it. I have the original MGM disc just in case, but I really doon't want to watch that one.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
FRIDAY THE 13TH - PART 3 :star: 1/2
[Dir: Steve Miner, 1982]

There doesn't seem to be much reason for this film to exist other than having it introduce the hockey mask which became Jason's trademark in all subsequent sequels. Oh, and all the overly obvious 3D effects shots.

More young people at a remote location on Crystal Lake. More killings by Jason. More typical slasher film cliches, probably my most hated being the one where the last survivor stabs/hits/shoots the killer once, then runs away only to be pursued again once the killer recovers. Kill the sucker, then he can't chase you again!!

2006 Scary Movie Challenge Summary
Newly-experienced in bloody dark red
, based on a 4-star rating:

THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES :star: :star: :star:
COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE! :star: :star:
DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN! :star: :star:
THE EXORCIST III :star: :star: 1/2
FINAL DESTINATION 2 :star: :star:
FINAL DESTINATION 3 :star: :star: :star:
FRIDAY THE 13TH :star: 1/2
FRIDAY THE 13TH - PART 2 :star: :star: 1/2
THE GHOUL :star: :star: 1/2
THE GRUDGE - Unrated Director's Cut :star: :star: 1/2
THE SENTINEL :star: :star:
SUSPIRIA :star:
TERROR TRAIN :star: :star:
TWICE TOLD TALES :star: :star:

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Psycho III - Revisit. Anthony Perkins directed this second sequel to Alfred Hitchcock's classic and turned out something a cut above the usual slasher fare. The aging, lonely and angst-ridden Norman Bates, still plagued by his "mother," takes in a wandering nun who has left her order after a Vertigo-inspired tragedy. Can Norman find love? Not if mother has anything to say about it! Love the ice machine scene!

*** out of ****

Jeepers Creepers - Finally caught up with this above average teen horror flick about brother and sister college students being harried by a back roads boogeyman. Pretty tense and never lets up once it gets going.

*** out of ****

Dark Waters - Not to be confused with the J-horror hit Dark Water, this is a 1994 giallo homage to H.P. Lovecraft. A young woman travels to an isolated Black Sea island to uncover the secret of a strange religious order, but some secrets are best left unknown! Argento-esque visuals make up for the muddled execution; worth a look.

**1/2 out of ****

Gemini - Vividly filmed mini-masterpiece of J-horror. A successful doctor who is questioning his ethics is plagued by an amnesiac wife, a mysterious doppelganger and a Ringu-esque plot development. Don't want to spoil it so I'll leave it at that.

**** out of ****

Re: Gemini

Just don't think too hard about the title. :D

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Edgar G. Ulmer: The Man Off Camera (2004) :star::star:

After having its Turner Classic Movie premiere canceled for some reason, this documentary is finally seeing the light of day through Kino. I'm not sure why it was canceled but the thing comes as a major disappointment. Greg Mank, Tom Weaver, Roger Corman, Joe Dante, Wim Winders, John Saxon, Peter Bogdanovich and other discuss the "B" movie director who many consider a genius. I'm not that big of a fan of Ulmer so I was hoping this documentary would show me what I was missing but it certainly didn't do that. All of those giving interviews seem to not know what to say and for the most part they don't say a thing. We get clips from films like The Black Cat, The Man From Planet X and various others but that's about it. I'm sure Mank and Weaver had stuff to say about these films but they give comments like "that was creepy". Bogdanovich has a taped interview with Ulmer, which gets played some throughout the documentary but not enough because what he says is a lot more interesting than anything else here.

Dementia (1955) :star::star::star:

Interesting mix of film noir, horror and German Expressionism has a young woman struggling to make it through one night on skid row. The movie features no sounds with the exception of a new sound effects so this is clearly a throwback to the silent days and more in point, the German classics of the era. This is a rather interesting little film due in large part to the brilliant look and the downright bizarre setup. We're treated to various visuals, which make little to no sense but I believe that was the point. I was shocked to see that the wonderful cinematography was by William C. Thompson who was pure poverty row as he worked on films like Maniac, Glen or Glenda?, Plan 9 From Outer Space and other Ed Wood movies. Adrienne Barrett is very good in the lead and Angelo Rossitto of Freaks fame has a small role. Technically the film is brilliant but the story doesn't come off as well.

The most interesting thing about this film is its troubled history, which included being banned by the New York Censor Board. The film had to go in front of this board eleven times before it was allowed to be shown, only once. The film couldn't get released so it was re-edited and narration by Ed McMahon was added. The film was then re-released as Daughter of Horror and clips from this version can be seen in the 1958 film The Blob inside the theater where the teens are watching it.

Daughter of Horror (1958) :star::star:

Alternate version of the above film has a couple scenes edited out but the biggest change is the added narration by Ed McMahon. As with other "silent" films that are given sound, the atmosphere and overall mood is certainly altered here but it's rather neat hearing McMahon's narration because he sounds so incredibly different than what we're use to hearing.

Deer Woman (2005) :star::star::star::star:

John Landis directed episode in the Masters of Horror series is certainly the best I've seen so far. A police detective (Brian Benben) is investigating a series of brutal murders where the men have been aroused at the time of their death. With the help of another officer, the detective begins to think that this is the work of a half deer, half woman. Landis really hasn't touched the horror genre much in his career but when he does the film usually turns out to be quite memorable. This is a terrific little horror film that has the right mixture of nudity, gore and some nice comic touches. The homage to An American Werewolf in London was nice and the performances are all top notch. The film is never too serious, which is why it works so well.

2006 Horror Challenge

01. Crime of Dr. Crespi, The (1935) :star::star:
02. Missing Guest, The (1938) :star::star:
03. Torture Ship (1939) :star::star:
04. Hand of Death (1962) :star::star::star:
05. Last Shark, The (1981) :star::star:1/2
06. School Killer (2001) :star::star::star:1/2
07. Blackenstein (1973) :star:1/2
08. Dr. Black, Mr. Hyde (1976) :star::star:1/2
09. You'll Find Out (1940) :star::star:1/2
10. Weird Woman (1944) :star::star:1/2
11. Dead Man's Eyes (1944) :star::star::star:
12. Jess Franco's Perversions (2005) :star:1/2
13. Oomo-Oomo, The Shark God (1949) :star::star:
14. Terror From the Year 5000 (1958) :star::star:
15. Zombie '90 Extreme Pestilence (1991) :star:1/2
16. House of Terror (1959) :star::star:1/2
17. Chaos (2005) :star::star::star:
18. I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer (2006) :star::star:
19. Imprint (2006) :star::star::star:
20. Lugosi: Hollywood's Dracula (1997) :star::star::star:
21. That's the Spirit (1933) :star::star:
22. Midnight Menace (1946) :star:
23. Monkey's Paw, The (1948) :star::star:
24. Host to a Ghost (1941) :star::star:1/2
25. Motor Home Massacre (2005) BOMB
26. Absurd (1981) :star::star:
27. Frankenstein (1931) :star::star::star::star:
28. Frankenstein (1910) :star::star::star:
29. Ninth Guest, The (1934) :star::star::star:
30. Undying Monster, The (1942) :star::star::star:
31. I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1957) :star::star::star:
32. Never Too Late (1937) :star::star:1/2
33. Murder in the Red Barn, The (1935) :star::star:1/2
34. Crocodile (2000) :star::star:
35. Dance of the Dead (2005) :star::star:
36. Black Dahlia (2006) BOMB
37. Cemetery of Terror (1985) :star:
38. Revenge of the Living Dead Girls (1987) :star::star::star:
39. Frozen Ghost, The (1945) :star::star:1/2
40. Strange Confession (1945) :star::star::star:
41. Pillow of Death (1945) :star:1/2
42. Flying Serpent, The (1946) :star::star:1/2
43. Visitor Q (2001) :star::star:
44. Ringu (1998) :star::star::star:
45. Vampiri, I (1956) :star::star:
46. Laurel-Hardy Murder Case, The (1930) :star::star::star:1/2
47. Maniac (1934) BOMB
48. Raven, The (1935) :star::star::star::star:
49. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The (1974) :star::star::star:
50. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, The (1987) :star::star:1/2
51. Man From Beyond, The (1922) :star::star:
52. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The: The Beginning (2006) :star::star:1/2
53. Frankenstein, El Vampiro Y Compania (1962) 1/2:star:
54. Hands of Orlac, The (1924) :star::star::star:
55. Beast of Borneo, The (1934) :star:
56. Omen, The (2006) :star::star:1/2
57. Devil's Possessed, The (1974) :star::star:
58. Edgar G. Ulmer: The Man Off Camera (2004) :star::star:
59. Dementia (1955) :star::star::star:
60. Daughter of Horror (1958) :star::star:
61. Deer Woman (2005) :star::star::star::star:

Rick Spruill

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it's October 18 and I met my challenge goal - 31 movies. I know many of you have seen a lot more than that, but I'm happy with my progress this year. Here's what I watched today:

Devil Bat's Daughter (1946, Frank Wisbar)
- While this may sound like a sequel to The Devil Bat, don't be fooled - it has very little to do with the Bela Lugosi movie. This is bottom-of-the-barrel Poverty Row and about as dull and predictable as they come.

Strait-Jacket (1964, William Castle)
- Oh man, do I love this movie. Is there anything more fun than watching Joan Crawford play an axe wielding lunatic? A blast from start to finish.

2006 Scary Movie Challenge

1. The Mole People (1956, Virgil W. Vogel) - :star::star::star:
2. The Devil's Wedding Night (1973, Luigi Batzella) - :star:
3. The Monolith Monsters (1957, John Sherwood) - :star::star::star:
4. The Black Castle (1952, Nathan Juran) - :star::star:
5. Mako: The Jaws of Death (1976, William Grefe) - BOMB
6. Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954, Jack Arnold) - :star::star::star::star:
7. Tarantula (1955, Jack Arnold) - :star::star::star:
8. Deep Red (1975, Dario Argento) - :star::star::star::star:
9. Calling Dr. Death (1943, Reginald LeBorg) - :star::star::star:
10. Spoorloos (1988, George Sluizer) - :star::star::star::star:
11. The Queen of Spades (1949, Thorold Dickinson) - :star::star::star::star:
12. Weird Woman (1944, Reginald LeBord) - :star::star::star:
13. Dead Man's Eyes (1944, Reginald LeBord) - :star::star:
14. Mad Love (1935, Karl Freund) - :star::star::star::star:
15. The Mask of Fu Manchu (1932, Charles Brabin) - :star::star::star::star:
16. The Cat and the Canary (1927, Paul Leni) - :star::star::star:
17. Mark of the Vampire (1935, Tod Browning) - :star::star:
18. Dark Waters (1994, Mariano Baino) - :star::star:
19. King of the Zombies (1941, Jean Yarbrough) - :star::star:
20. Doctor X (1932, Michael Curtiz) - :star::star::star:
21. The Return of Doctor X (1939, Vincent Sherman) - :star::star:
22. The Mummy (1932, Karl Freund) - :star::star::star::star:
23. I Walked with a Zombie (1943, Jacques Tourneur) - :star::star::star::star:
24. Bad Inclination (2003, Pierfrancesco Campanella) - BOMB
25. The Climax (1944, George Waggner) - :star:
26. Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks (1974, Robert Oliver) - BOMB
27. Bride of Frankenstein (1935, James Whale) - :star::star::star::star:
28. Son of Frankenstein (1939, Rowland V. Lee) - :star::star::star::star:
29. The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942, Erle C. Kenton) - :star::star::star:
30. Devil Bat's Daughter (1946, Frank Wisbar) - :star:
31. Strait-Jacket (1964, William Castle) - :star::star::star:

Totals: 31 (16 New, 15 Repeats)

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
32. Gemini - I'm still on the fence about this odd film about the secrets revealed when a man meets his doppelganger. Since it's from the director of Tetsuo and A Snake Of June, I suppose calling it odd is kind of redundant...Though Tsukamoto uses some interesting techniques and shots, it just never gelled for me as a story. Creepy at times though. Oh, and no one in the film has any eyebrows...

33. Gojira - First time through the original Godzilla in its Japanese form. It's pretty slow in parts, but still a lot of fun during the monster sequences. I liked the parallels to the atomic bomb, but I wish they had left some of them a bit more subtle.

34. The Cat And The Canary - Great little mystery thriller (from 1979, not the silent one others in this thread have already watched) about a group of distant relatives gathered together for the reading of the rich head of the family's will. He reads it himself via a film he left behind and it reminded me of that great WKRP episode where Jennifer's geezer "boyfriend" passes away. After being locked in the house overnight because of an on the loose killer, there's lots of arched eyebrows, booming thunder and "who gets it next?". I had just rented this on a whim and later that night saw a posting about the 1927 version. There's that spooky happenstance again...

35. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers - "You're next! You're next!". Paranoid fear of Communism or McCarthyism? Not sure which one, but it makes for a fine time at the movies. I'm going to try to squeeze the 1978 remake in this month too.

Running Tally of 2006 Scary Movie Challenge

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I really enjoyed watching "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" for the first time this year. The remake still works really well too.

I failed last night in the challenge. After "Weird Woman" I watched "99 Women". I can't with clear concious include it on my list. Aside from a little whipping, there were zero horror elements. I watched it manly because it's Jesse Franco and I keep hearing his name bandied about, but after watching 3 of his Woman in Prison flicks, I'm not sure what the big deal is. I guess I watched the wrong 3 out of the 5000 movies he's directed. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks