What's new

***Official 7th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge*** (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I think I'm watching this right now under the title "Revenge Of Doctor X", it has something to do with a scientist doing something with an asian girl assistant. He just brought in a venus flytrap. It put me to sleep at about the 30 minute mark, so I'll report later tonight when I'm done it.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I think this is a holdover from Inner Sanctum's radio origins. The show had a host, Raymond, who introduced the stories with puns and black humor, similar to what the Cryptkeeper would do later in Tales From the Crypt.

BTW, today is Bela Lugosi's birthday. I wonder how many of his films will get viewed tonight?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
unless he shows up in "Revenge Of Doctor X" or "Lust At First Bite", I'm not watching any Lugosi.

Actually, aside from Dracula, I don't think I've watched any other Lugosi period this challenge.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Some Lugosi fan I am -- I forgot it was his birthday! Well, so far I don't have anything "Lugosi" on tap for this evening.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
#9 Tarantula!: A VERY disappointing '50's "big bug" movie. Especially so since it is directed by Jack Arnold, whose movies I usually enjoy. At 81 minutes it's hard to imagine a movie dragging, but his one just plodded along. Is anyone familiar with any other big spider movies from that period? I seem to recall one years ago that had victims "wrapped" in webs, possibly in a cave/underground dwelling and a scene that had the spider outside a movie theater. I was pretty sure that this was the movie I was thinking of, but no luck. Rating: 1/5

Looks like I will have to switch gears tonight a do a Lugosi mini-fest!

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Hey all,

TCM has a Lugosi double feature on tonight starting at 8pm. First up is Mark of the Vampire. At 9:15 they screen Return of the Vampire. This is all followed up at 10:30 with Vampyr: Der Traum des Allan Grey. While not another Lugosi - it's clearly a vampire night on TCM. I'm going to miss the first flick of the evening (dinner plans), but I'll catch the other 2.

Cheers,

Jason

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

How about EARTH VS. THE SPIDER (aka 'THE SPIDER')? That's fun. I don't recall if this is the one -- I remember a cave and webs, but not a theater.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
10/20/06
I watched Body Bags, the John Carpenter and Tobe Hooper directed anthology, today. While it's obviously Showtime trying to make their own Tales From The Crypt, The Gas Station segment is pretty good. Carpenter rips off The Crypt Keeper as the host and there's fun cameos from Tobe Hooper and Greg Nicotero.

My list so far...
(new titles in bold)
01. Dr. Giggles
02. Halloween II
03. A Nightmare On Elm Street
04. The Funhouse
05. The Woods
06. The Devil Bat
07. Doctor X
08. The Return Of Doctor X
09. Mad Love(1935)
10. Venom (2005)
11. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
12. Friday The 13th
13. Don't Answer The Phone
14. Friday The 13th Part 2
15. Friday The 13th Part 3
16. May
17. Friday The 13th- The Final Chapter
18. Friday The 13th Part V- A New Beginning
19. Friday The 13th Part VI- Jason Lives
20. April Fool's Day
21. Friday The 13th Part VII- The New Blood
22. Friday The 13th Part VIII- Jason Takes Manhattan
23. Masters Of Horror: Pick Me Up
24. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2
25. Hell Night
26. Christine
27. The Fog (1980)
28. Body Parts

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Geez, that's weird about Lugosi's birthday because I was just getting ready to start a mini Lugosi night. My ex-girlfriend and another friend just got here and I decided to check the board before watching.

If you prefer lesbian vampires, Sundance is showing Jess Franco's VAMPYROS LESBOS at midnight.

Rick Spruill

Stunt Coordinator
10/19

Count Dracula's Great Love (1972, Javier Aguirre)
- Yet another Naschy film that doesn't quite work for me. It's not the worst of his films that I"ve seen, but it's far from the best. Part of my problem may be related to the American version of the film I saw that includes a ridiculous narration over about 15 minutes of the film. I should probably see the original laguage version before I pass final judgement.

10/20

The Man They Could Not Hang (1939, Nick Grinde)
- My copy of the new Karloff horror collection arrived today and as I've always wanted to see this film, I decided to watch it first. For the most part, it's a great movie and Karloff gives the expected outstanding performance. But the finale is a real letdown. The third act wraps things up rather too quickly. I don't often say this, but in this case another 30 minutes would have really helped.

2006 Scary Movie Challenge

1. The Mole People (1956, Virgil W. Vogel) - :star::star::star:
2. The Devil's Wedding Night (1973, Luigi Batzella) - :star:
3. The Monolith Monsters (1957, John Sherwood) - :star::star::star:
4. The Black Castle (1952, Nathan Juran) - :star::star:
5. Mako: The Jaws of Death (1976, William Grefe) - BOMB
6. Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954, Jack Arnold) - :star::star::star::star:
7. Tarantula (1955, Jack Arnold) - :star::star::star:
8. Deep Red (1975, Dario Argento) - :star::star::star::star:
9. Calling Dr. Death (1943, Reginald LeBorg) - :star::star::star:
10. Spoorloos (1988, George Sluizer) - :star::star::star::star:
11. The Queen of Spades (1949, Thorold Dickinson) - :star::star::star::star:
12. Weird Woman (1944, Reginald LeBord) - :star::star::star:
13. Dead Man's Eyes (1944, Reginald LeBord) - :star::star:
14. Mad Love (1935, Karl Freund) - :star::star::star::star:
15. The Mask of Fu Manchu (1932, Charles Brabin) - :star::star::star::star:
16. The Cat and the Canary (1927, Paul Leni) - :star::star::star:
17. Mark of the Vampire (1935, Tod Browning) - :star::star:
18. Dark Waters (1994, Mariano Baino) - :star::star:
19. King of the Zombies (1941, Jean Yarbrough) - :star::star:
20. Doctor X (1932, Michael Curtiz) - :star::star::star:
21. The Return of Doctor X (1939, Vincent Sherman) - :star::star:
22. The Mummy (1932, Karl Freund) - :star::star::star::star:
23. I Walked with a Zombie (1943, Jacques Tourneur) - :star::star::star::star:
24. Bad Inclination (2003, Pierfrancesco Campanella) - BOMB
25. The Climax (1944, George Waggner) - :star:
26. Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks (1974, Robert Oliver) - BOMB
27. Bride of Frankenstein (1935, James Whale) - :star::star::star::star:
28. Son of Frankenstein (1939, Rowland V. Lee) - :star::star::star::star:
29. The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942, Erle C. Kenton) - :star::star::star:
30. Devil Bat's Daughter (1946, Frank Wisbar) - :star:
31. Strait-Jacket (1964, William Castle) - :star::star::star:
32. Count Dracula's Great Love (1972, Javier Aguirre) - :star::star:
33. The Man They Could Not Hang (1939, Nick Grinde) - :star::star::star:

Totals: 33 (18 New, 15 Repeats)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

That's it! Joe, as an aside...every time I see your name, I have to wonder---is that your REAL last name or an homage to Lugosi and Karloff?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
#10. Near Dark: I was a bit apprehensive when the Netflix sleeve called it "one of the most ferociously original vampire movies of our time"...and then I watched it! After a bit of a slow start, I was drawn in and stayed there (with the exception of a few plot points that I found a little too obvious). Bill Paxton's character REALLY grew on me as the story progressed. Highly original (and pretty tame considering the "R" rating) and definitely recommended. Rating: 3.5/5

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Revenge Of Doctor X (1970) 1/5 - I don't know WTF was going on in this. It kept putting me to sleep. A scientist figures some stuff out with a rocket, then turns a venus fly trap into a monster?? In Japan? The ending is straight out of Frankenstein. I think Ed Wood wrote this one.

The Frozen Ghost 2.5/5 - 4th of the Sanctums. Basically a "Murder in the Wax Museum" film. At this point, Lon Chaneys world falling apart at the start is starting to get hilarious as opposed to tragic.
"I killed him with my own EYES! I can't marry you! I'm a murderer!"
I can't wait to see what callamity falls on him in "Pillow Of Death".

See my tally here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...99&postcount=3

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Wood actually directed this one as well (under another name). I watched it earlier in the year and it was pretty bad but not bad in a good sort of way.

Night Fright (1967) :star:1/2

Silly Texas horror film about a NASA experiment gone wrong. NASA does an experiment called "Noah's Arc" where they sent a spaceship full of animals into space. The spaceship disappears for six months but then crashes into a small Texas town with a bloody thirsty gorilla. It's up to the sheriff (John Agar) to save the day and a bunch of stupid teens. This movie is pretty bad but thankfully it's bad enough to be mildly entertaining. Agar is over the top as usual and the supporting players are bad enough to gain a few laughs. The gorilla creature is pretty funny as well. My favorite scene is when the gorilla attacks the sheriff who has several options. 1. He could get in his car and drive away. 2. He could get into his girlfriends car and drive away. 3. He could enter a cabin and be safe. So what does he do? He runs off into the woods where the gorilla can continue to chase him. God bless the horror genre.

Dracula (1931) :star::star::star:

I've been a strong basher of this film for many years now but for some odd reason the movie really worked well for me tonight. Perhaps because I was tired and in a "dreamy" state of mind, the slowness of the film didn't bother me nor did Lugosi's dialogue and delivery. David Manners, Helen Chandler, Dwight Frye and Edward Van Sloan also offer good performances. I still think there are many flaws with the film including the direction of Tod Browning (if he really directed it) and the art direction is quite poor, especially compared to the Spanish version released the same year.

White Zombie (1932) :star::star:1/2

Bela Lugosi leads a group of zombies at a sugar plantation where he stalks a newlywed couple. The first twenty-five minutes of this film are quite eerie and creates some of the best atmosphere of any horror film of the period. After the events that happen to the wife however, the film slows down to a snail's pace. The supporting players really aren't too interesting and the direction lags in a few spots.

Island of Lost Souls (1933) :star::star::star:

This is a hugely popular horror film but this was actually only my second viewing. I first watched it probably 15 years ago but didn't care too much for it so I never went back for another viewing until now. Needless to say, I enjoyed it a lot more this time around, although I still think it has many flaws and I do believe other Paramount horror films are better. Charles Laughton is very good in his role as are the other supporting performers but it's Bela Lugosi who steals the picture, which is quite shocking considering he probably only has two minutes worth of screentime. The film was originally banned in England and it's easy to see why. The make up effects must have been quite shocking back in the day and I wish the film had spent more time with the "animals".

2006 Horror Challenge

01. Crime of Dr. Crespi, The (1935) :star::star:
02. Missing Guest, The (1938) :star::star:
03. Torture Ship (1939) :star::star:
04. Hand of Death (1962) :star::star::star:
05. Last Shark, The (1981) :star::star:1/2
06. School Killer (2001) :star::star::star:1/2
07. Blackenstein (1973) :star:1/2
08. Dr. Black, Mr. Hyde (1976) :star::star:1/2
09. You'll Find Out (1940) :star::star:1/2
10. Weird Woman (1944) :star::star:1/2
11. Dead Man's Eyes (1944) :star::star::star:
12. Jess Franco's Perversions (2005) :star:1/2
13. Oomo-Oomo, The Shark God (1949) :star::star:
14. Terror From the Year 5000 (1958) :star::star:
15. Zombie '90 Extreme Pestilence (1991) :star:1/2
16. House of Terror (1959) :star::star:1/2
17. Chaos (2005) :star::star::star:
18. I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer (2006) :star::star:
19. Imprint (2006) :star::star::star:
20. Lugosi: Hollywood's Dracula (1997) :star::star::star:
21. That's the Spirit (1933) :star::star:
22. Midnight Menace (1946) :star:
23. Monkey's Paw, The (1948) :star::star:
24. Host to a Ghost (1941) :star::star:1/2
25. Motor Home Massacre (2005) BOMB
26. Absurd (1981) :star::star:
27. Frankenstein (1931) :star::star::star::star:
28. Frankenstein (1910) :star::star::star:
29. Ninth Guest, The (1934) :star::star::star:
30. Undying Monster, The (1942) :star::star::star:
31. I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1957) :star::star::star:
32. Never Too Late (1937) :star::star:1/2
33. Murder in the Red Barn, The (1935) :star::star:1/2
34. Crocodile (2000) :star::star:
35. Dance of the Dead (2005) :star::star:
36. Black Dahlia (2006) BOMB
37. Cemetery of Terror (1985) :star:
38. Revenge of the Living Dead Girls (1987) :star::star::star:
39. Frozen Ghost, The (1945) :star::star:1/2
40. Strange Confession (1945) :star::star::star:
41. Pillow of Death (1945) :star:1/2
42. Flying Serpent, The (1946) :star::star:1/2
43. Visitor Q (2001) :star::star:
44. Ringu (1998) :star::star::star:
45. Vampiri, I (1956) :star::star:
46. Laurel-Hardy Murder Case, The (1930) :star::star::star:1/2
47. Maniac (1934) BOMB
48. Raven, The (1935) :star::star::star::star:
49. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The (1974) :star::star::star:
50. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, The (1987) :star::star:1/2
51. Man From Beyond, The (1922) :star::star:
52. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The: The Beginning (2006) :star::star:1/2
53. Frankenstein, El Vampiro Y Compania (1962) 1/2:star:
54. Hands of Orlac, The (1924) :star::star::star:
55. Beast of Borneo, The (1934) :star:
56. Omen, The (2006) :star::star:1/2
57. Devil's Possessed, The (1974) :star::star:
58. Edgar G. Ulmer: The Man Off Camera (2004) :star::star:
59. Dementia (1955) :star::star::star:
60. Daughter of Horror (1958) :star::star:
61. Deer Woman (2005) :star::star::star::star:
62. Cobra Woman (1944) :star::star:1/2
63. After Dark (1932) :star::star:
64. Night Fright (1967) :star:1/2
65. Dracula (1931) :star::star::star:
66. White Zombie (1932) :star::star:1/2
67. Island of Lost Souls (1933) :star::star::star:

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
36. Acacia - Wow, this is one of the best of the whole Asian horror lot that I've seen. Truly creepy, sad, beautiful and disturbing. An adopted boy is overly fond of a tree in his backyard while he struggles with an awful grandmother (who insists that his mother continue trying for a baby of her own blood) and parents who don't quite know what to do. Wonderfully directed as well. I don't want to say anything else for fear of ruining something.

37. Ju-On 2: The Grudge - OK, the story gets increasingly sillier in the Japanese sequel, but damn, I still really love the atmosphere that Shimizu has created in all of his Ju-On pictures (including the 2 stateside). He goes more for the gradual or subtle reveal (though doesn't shy away from a jarring shock either) and the creepiness just builds during each portion. I chuckled in several sections, but I did so with the movie not at it.

38. The Woods - Both Patricia Clarkson and Agnes Bruckner had great performances here, but the whole thing just left me kind of cool. It wasn't bad, but just a little dull.

39. The Masque Of Red Death - Another fine Roger Corman production! Actually, not bad at all. Goofy and occasionally really bad dubbing, but that Red Death sure looks like a grisly way to go...

Running Tally of 2006 Scary Movie Challenge

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Rating system: 1-5 (Awful, Bad, Average, Good, Excellent)
1st time movies listed in bold
foriegn language films (personal challenge) in red

10/20 - Los Sin Nombre / The Nameless (1999) - I rented this one on a suggestion from Netflix. One of Balaguero's other films The Darkness, while being a bit flawed has stuck with me as one of the better horror flicks I'd seen recently. The Namless, on the other hand, is largely forgettable. It's in the horror sub-genre of gross death + religion + tries to ape the style of Silence Of The Lambs. Basically it wants to be The Crimson Rivers. Only it also has to include "homages" to The Exorcist, Seven, The Ring, and even the screaming flashes of "shakey cam" people (Which itself is just a long history of filmmakers trying to replicate Jaccob's Ladder, but they can't because it has to be realrealrealfastMTVcutswithscreachingnoises.)

But thats all besides the larger poins of the film. There are some pretty big plot holes. A good third of the movie is just wasted time (The jilted boyfriend, the magazine photographer) that has nothing to do with anything. The titular villains have an agenda.... we don't know what it is, but its evil. But it something to do with Nazis (Thus the movie fails by the nature of Godwin's Law I suppose.

The "Nameless", an organization that seeks something (Its never clear what the goal is: enlightenment? nastiness? gameshow tickets?) by means of commiting the most evil act they can possibly do. Also they shun the use of names (thus the "nameless"), and have a history of kidnapping & torturing children. But the "ultimate evil" doesn't concern that, it all about faking your own death, then killing your dad & yourself. This "ultimate evil" will somehow turn you into a saint (?????).

If someone can explain this movie to me, please do. And don't say "You just have to turn your brain off" because clearly you're supposed to be understanding some higher meaning in everything. At least thats what the cliche 'detective-whos-just-left-the-force-and-plays-by-his-own-rules' narrates to the camera. Also the Hannibal Lechter knock-off 'killer in the insane asylum' would have you belive it has something to do with termites.
Rating 2(Its bad, real bad. But its better than House OF The Dead

2006 Horror Challenge
01. Mask of the Demon
(1960) :star::star::star:
02. Baron Blood (1972) :star::star::star:
03. Event Horizon (1997) :star::star::star::star:
04. An American Werewolf In London (1981) :star::star::star::star:
05. Jacob's Ladder (1990) :star::star::star::star::star:
06. The Ninth Gate (1999) :star::star::star:
07. Night Of The Blind Terrors (1971) :star::star::star:
08. Attack Of The Dead People Without Eyes (1973) :star::star:
09. The Damned Ship (1974) :star::star:
10. In The Mouth Of Madness (1995) :star::star::star:
11. The Ring (2002) :star:/:star::star::star::star::star:
12. The Night Of The Seagulls (1975) :star::star:
13. Masters Of Horror: Jenifer (2005) :star::star:
14: Wolf Man Vs. Vampire Woman (1971) :star:
15: Virgin Spring (1960) :star::star::star::star:
16. The Nameless (1999) :star::star:

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
The Brute Man (1946) :star: :star:1/2
A Universal film that was released by PRC. It stars Rondo Hatton, who was exploited in films as a character called "The Creeper" after he contracted the disease acromegaly, which enlarges and distorts facial features, hands, and feet. Here he is a killer on the run who meets up with a blind piano teacher (Jane Adams) and has his heart softened a bit by her kindness, as she cannot see him. Pretty good with some decent direction.

Spooks Run Wild (1941) :star: :star:
I had a friend over last night and we intended to watch three horror/comedies, so we began with this one since it was Bela Lugosi's birthday. The Eastside Kids run into Bela and his dwarf assistant (Angelo Rossitto) inside a spooky house and try to solve the mystery of the town killer. Lugosi has some shining moments, but this one's not too funny and the production is under-lit and rather creaky.

Master Minds (1949) :star: :star: :star:
By this time the Eastside Kids went into broader comedy and became The Bowery Boys. Warner said they'd be releasing all 48 of these 1946 - 1958 films on DVD beginning this year, but they've hit a snag finding the best elements for some of them. I'm not waiting forever, so it was back to a television copy for this and the next film below. This is one of the better comedies in this series with a decent cast, as Huntz Hall (as Satch) gains the power to predict the future. This is appealing to mad scientist Alan Napier, so he kidnaps Satch and intends to switch minds with his hairy monster-man called Atlas (Glenn Strange). In the process, Satch acts like Atlas and Atlas becomes Satch. It's really fun watching Glenn Strange taking on the zany characteristics of Huntz Hall, and this entry benefits by having more cast members from HOUSE OF DRACULA (in addition to Strange, we have Jane Adams and Skelton Knaggs as the laboratory assistants). Fun and laughs in this one.

The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters (1954) :star: :star: :star:
Often considered by fans to be the best in this uneven series. Looking for a field for the neighborhood kids to play baseball on, Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall visit a mansion on Long Island to appeal to the owners of a vacant lot to give permission. What they don't count on is that the house is run by two mad doctors, their Jekyll/Hyde butler, a vampiress, a clunky robot, and a wild gorilla. It also happens that the scientists are looking to find brains for the mechanical man and the ape. This one's brisk and tight, and more slick than the others. It works well mainly due to the directing of Edward Bernds and the co-writing of Bernds and Elwood Ullman, as they recycle tried and true Three Stooges situations into the story.

01) Dracula (1931)
02) Dracula's Daughter (1936)
03) White Zombie (1932)
04) Werewolf of London (1935)
05) The Man They Could Not Hang (1939)
06) Before I Hang (1940)
07) The Boogie Man Will Get you (1942)
08) Life Returns (1935)
09) The Black Room (1935)
10) Munster, Go Home (1966)
11) Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter (1974)
12) Mark of the Vampire (1935)
13) The Return of Doctor X (1939)
14) Mad Love (1935)
15) Zombies on Broadway (1945)
16) Blackenstein (1973)
17) The Devil-Doll (1936)
18) To the Devil - A Daughter (1976)
19) The Viking Women and the Sea Serpent (1957)
20) Teenage Caveman (1957)
21) The Virgin of Nuremberg (1963)
22) The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

23) The Mummy's Hand (1940)
24) The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
25) Dead Men Walk (1943)
26) The Flying Serpent (1946)
27) Saw II (2005)
28) The Beast With a Million Eyes (1955)
29) The Brute Man (1946)
30) Spooks Run Wild (1941)
31) Master Minds (1949)
32) The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters (1954)

Sandro

Second Unit
Out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Gozu :star: :star: :star: 1/2 Takashi Miike crosses over into David Lynch territory to create one of his best films. It seems to be about sexual confusion and anxiety but who really knows? Along the way there's weird imagery, crazy characters, wacky humor and a horrific climax.

Two Evil Eyes :star: :star: 1/2 Romero's segment is weak and can be skipped but Argento's is excellent and should be seen.

Count Yorga Vampire :star: :star: :star: Stylish, low-budget 70s vampire flick with a good performance by Robert Quarry in the lead. The twist at the end is entirely predictable. For some reason, the onscreen title is "Love of Count Iorga, Vampire".

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I'm obssessed with "Pillow Of Death". It can't possibly hold up to the image in my mind.

"I never should of fluffed that pillow! Nows she's dead, and it's all my fault! I can't marry you!"

(40minutes later) "I was just shitting you to trap the real killer..." ;)

Tomb Of The Blind Dead 3.5/5 : Lots have been said about this already, and even more was said about it last year. I liked it. I'm watching the original English versions so I have to presume they are uncut. :P

And now to completly debase the challenge:

Lust Of Dracula/Dracula Sucks 3/5 : I first heard about this Dracula porno in David J. Skals excellent book "Hollywood Gothic" which should be required reading along with hi equally excellent "The Monster Show". As a porno, it sort of sucked in the non-good way. As a Dracula spoof, it worked pretty good, with the Vampire repeating many lines from the classic 1931 film. Actualy, if this would of been done more serious instead of comedic, it would of been a 4 star film.

My Tally:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...99&postcount=3

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks