What's new

*** Official 2002 Major League Baseball Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I guess I can chime in with a "me too". Jason, I'm really surprised they are still doing that. I went to Opening Day and they did "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch, and I thought, fine, I can deal with it once. Then I saw that the next two days they paused in the games when 9:11 rolled around. And still with the "God Bless America". I can't believe this is continuing. It's all well and good, I suppose, but is there really a compelling reason to still do this? If you like it, fine. I could do without.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I gather certain clubs are starting to discontinue the practice - I think Oakland and a couple others were mentioned - but apparently Bud Selig's (ptui!) office hasn't said to stop yet (and I gather the new owners in Boston wouldn't breathe unless Selig said it was OK).

Still, it could be worse. At the end of last season, they were asking us to sing along with "New York, New York". All the sympathy in the world, guys, but hell no.

(I wonder if they're still doing the "God Bless America" thing in Toronto and Montreal? That's gotta be obnoxious to the fans there.)

Phil L

Supporting Actor
Derek Lowe pitched a no hitter against the Devil Rays this afternoon.

There must be something in the air: Pedro Astachio had a no hitter into the 7th today, Shawn Estes threw a one-hitter with one walk yesterday, and yesterday Odalis Perez faced 27 in a one-hitter.

But Derek Lowe got it done. Congratulations to him.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Ted Lilly (NY Yankees) came close to a no-no as well (one hitter?). That's probably the most amazing performace, coming against the #1 offensive club in MLB.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's true and Red Sox fans are experts when it comes to losses especially in October.;) By the way, 83 years and counting.
Crawdaddy

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
That's okay because I am not nor have I ever been a Red Sox Fan. I just happen to hate the fuckin Yanks!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

However, you're probably a fan of some team those fuckin Yanks have beaten over the years!

Crawdaddy

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
OK guys, I didn't start this thread to have another Yanks/Red Sox battle start up. Let's chill out please.
In other news, my "HTF Fight Club" fantasy baseball team is doing horrible. Hey, they're consistent. I really do believe that the autodraft screwed me big-time. I really can't see my team being able to make any sort of move towards the top 3-4 teams - my team (pitching specifically)is just that bad. To those that are still in it, try to talk me out of this - I'm hoping that it's a phase and I'll try to compete again.
The season's about amonth old so far - who's turned out to be the biggest surprises/disappointments? So far, I've been impressed with Odalis Perez (P - LA Dodgers). He's put up good early numbers (3-1, 1.64 ERA, 8-to-1 K/BB ratio and 2 complete games already) - after coming back from Tommmy John surgery in 2000. I have him on two other fantasy baseball teams (not the HTF one though :frowning:) I'm not sure about the disappointments - maybe my team, the Cardinals? They got swept by the Brewers (Yeah, the Milwaukee Brewers) and just have been floudering around with no direction. Having half of the pitching staff essentially break doesn't help - such a run of bad luck is odd and unfortunate for me anyhow.
Surprises/Disappointments anyone?

Phil L

Supporting Actor
Biggest surprises?

-cards not playing very well

-Mets not playing good defense

-Mets still scoring 1-2 runs a game

-Derek Lowe being a good starter, I didn't think he would be, when I heard talk about him using his sinker to keep his pitch count down- I just shrugged and said I didn't think hitters would be very accomodating. Also impressed that he could put on 25 pounds in the offseaon.

-Expos 'nuff said

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Just read the Playboy interview with Curt Schilling, and the most interesting part was his take on how the stigma of striking out has disappeared, resulting in obscene offensive numbers but also dominating pitchers (Clemens, Martinez, Maddux, Johnson, etc.) who know how to exploit the situation.

Overall, I came away from the interview with a lot of respect for Schilling, who:

1. Admits he's overpaid

2. Pitches with soreness, while other pitchers often complain about not being 100% (Schilling says he hasn't been 100% since high school)

3. Studies all hitters extensively with the aid of a laptop with thousands of catalogued at-bats on video.

4. Knows the value of pitching inside

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
On a separate note, how 'bout them Cubbies! 8-15!
While Don Baylor certainly shares some of the blame for the miserable start, I think GM Andy MacPhail is the main culprit. MacPhail has supported Baylor thus far, saying the poor start is due to injuries, but when you look at the roster MacPhail has put together, it is clear that the injuries should have been expected. Moises Alou is very injury prone. Flash Gordon was coming off surgery. Bill Mueller should not have been counted on to come back from a shattered kneecap. Etc, etc, etc. It would be one thing if Sosa broke his leg -- that would be truly unlucky. But to blame your woes on injuries that were inevitable due to age and/or medical histories is inexcusable. It's just a matter of time before Kerry Wood again goes on the DL, and the Cubs will cry about "injuries."
This season is shaping up to be another 2000, where the Cubs stuck with older players (McGriff, Alou) and retreads (Fassero, Deshields), hoping they could catch lightning in a bottle as they did the prior year.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
__________________________________________________ _______

On a separate note, how 'bout them Cubbies! 8-15!

__________________________________________________ _______

"How'd we ever win eight?"

"It's a miracle."

Couldn't resist.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
hoping they could catch lightning in a bottle as they did the prior year
That's your answer right there. Get healthy (especially Alou) and CALL UP MARK PRIOR!!!!!

Put Jason Bere in middle relief where he would be more valuable. Also play better defense. What's up with all the unearned runs behind Juan Cruz?

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Hey!!! How bout them Phillies!!!!! 8-17 :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Keep up the good work guys. You'll make the 2000 season look like a championship season. Well, off to watch Phils get slaughtered again on ESPN by the Giants. Now wheres that bottle of antacid??
Peace--Joe
Phillies fan & masochist since 1974

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
The All-Star ballots are out less than one month into the season. Why?? Link Removed
Anyways, I would love to know the name of the politician that came up with the Federal Law that requires me to provide MLB with my birth date to vote for the All-Star game.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Michael, I don't foresee the Reds trading Graves and Encarnacion for Colon, which has been the speculation. For that matter, I don't see Cleveland making that deal either. So far so good for Cincy, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks