What's new

2004 Major League Baseball Season Discussion (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
In the American League.

Minnesota at New York
Boston at Anaheim

I'm guessing that since Houston won...

In the National League

Los Angeles at St. Louis
Houston at Atlanta

should be fun!

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I hear Gardenhire plans to rest Radke and Santana after 5 innings to save them for next year. No faith in his ability to manage those pitchers past NY. Bonehead move to lose homefield when the pitchers would have had at least 6 days rest as is.

The Sox had better watch out for MVP and should have been Sox Right Fielder, Vlad. Overall, better chance against Ana than Min's pitching but Ana is on a roll. Hopefully, McCarty will make the playoff roster over Alan Embree and Myers. :D

Houston did their best to give it away twice, but Colorado showed why they are not a playoff contender.

Bring back the ... MUTE BUTTON. McCarver and Buck. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Update: Really bad news for Braves fans, you just got Chip Caray. Ha! Ha!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
You know, of all the potential suprises, I would not be at all shocked to see Minnesota upset the Yankees. The Yankees starting pitching is just not the good. Minnesota will send up Radke and Santana is not a bad deal. And Minnesota has a unique advantage being forced to play on the road.. it means Santana should get to pitch games #1 and #5 if they need it, and you have to believe one of those would be a win.

I'd take the twins pitching over NYY's any day of the week.. I'm not even sure if El D' is going to be able to go for NY.. is he healthy? Last I heard he may be done.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Well, one half of the Cubs announcing team is officially leaving...Chip Caray is joining his father Skip with the Braves. How much of his decision was due to family, money, or a desire to leave the toxic situation with the players is unclear.

When Chip succeeded Harry in 1998 (after Harry's passing), he was criticized for various things, one being that he wasn't his grandfather. Of course, no one could ever replace Harry Caray, just as no one will truly replace Vin Scully. But over the years, Chip endeared himself to most Cubs fans, myself included, and I'm sad to see him go. Ironically, it was Harry who refused to be a complete shill for the team and was known for ripping a player now and then if it was deserved. But everyone knew it was because he loved the team. If Steve Stone follows Chip out of town, it will be a dark day for Cubs fans -- as well as for the Tribune Company, which apparently would like to go back to having yes men call the games (like the Joe Carter or Dave Jones abominations).

There was some good news (for me) coming from today's final game. Sosa helped hasten a possible exit by infuriating Baker and GM Hendry. Seems he took off before the game (after being told he wasn't going to play) and didn't tell anybody. Baker was uncharacteristically candid, saying that "something needs to be done" about it, espceially since "it's happened before." Hopefully that means a trade. I have been very critical of Dusty, but perhaps he is hinting that his hands have been tied with respect to the coddling he has shown with Sosa.

Sosa will always have a place in Cubs history, but it's time he left.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The way I hear it is that the cubbies are hoping for the exit of both.. Steve Stone as well. Apparently the tribune company has not made life easy on their announcers for perceived "ill doing" (read: criticism) on their part.

Too bad. Stone was right then, as was Chip, and the fact that the tribune company doesn't like it.. tough.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Chip Caray this morning is crying sour grapes about receiving "criticism" from others. Waaa!!! Waaaa!! So he can second guess everything, but nobody can second guess him?

Chris

Senior HTF Member

I think you're free to criticism. But fact is, the team spent a chunk at the end of the year saying their announcers had basically no right to criticize them. That's not criticism of the announcers, that was a stifling effect to shut them up.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Yet, he says players, station management, and the fans have no right to criticize either of them. Then Steve Stone came on later and claimed the media is the only reason the players have their job.

I'm sorry, but the actual broadcasters are easily replaced when they try to become the show that they are not and merely become a useless distraction to the product on the field. Steve Stone is no Jerry Remy and maybe during his time off he should maybe read his book. :D

http://www.theremyreport.com/pages/20/

Heck, he can get Castiglione's book too all for under $30 at Amazon. ;)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Well, this morning in the Atlanta Journal Constitution, it mentioned that all 4 Braves broadcasters are working under deals with options for 2005-06 and that 3 of the 4 have already agreed to return, with Sutton still in negotiations.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

I've never heard Remy, so I don't know if you're being facetious, but the excerpt ("Are the Red Sox Cursed?") presented on his website is pretty weak. There isn't an original idea in there.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Remy doesn't promote himself or his broadcast partner as part of a "bombshell" announcement, neither does he try to come across as a genius. Remy picks up the little things others miss, like how the Indians were stealing signs in the ALDS via a camera in CF and relaying signals to batter. He pointed it out point by point when nobody else had a clue at the start of the game. He always knows what's coming next and says it without coming off as a pompous ass like Stone. Stone proclaims everything as if he can't be wrong, when really all he gives nothing more than any other fan would know.

Stone's bullpen management strategy is almost always "walk this guy to face...." Player is walked. Next guy up he says, "switch relievers to turn him around as he hits .xxx as a righty," reliever comes in and then he says, "but he hits .xxx-.x10 against this reliever as a lefty,...

Essentially, walk everybody that isn't a light hitting pitcher and waste your time bringing in other relievers to throw those IBB.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Woo hoo! I won a pair of tickets for possibly the last Braves game of the season on Thursday (should they not make it back from Houston after game 3 or 4). Too bad it's at 4 p.m. because Fox just has to have the Yankees or Red Sox on for the primetime game.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I doubt it, he questioned what was going on with the whistling during the game and worked it out. MLB had the camera blanketed the next day. If the Sox had any suspicion all they would have had to do was check the tapes and point it out to MLB as they did once tipped off from the booth. Yeah, a scout should have caught this, but they apparently didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks