What's new

ML Baseball 2005 Playoff thread (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Bill Buckner let a ball get through his legs and let the winning run home in a tie game that they had won before the closer imploded and the reliever behind him made a wild pitch (Pass ball! Wild Pitch!). This was in the 6th game. Many teams have lost a sixth game (some even blow it in the last of the ninth in the 7th game).

Nobody can say they have lost after going up 3-0 except the Yankees. This defeats Babe, Buckner, Boone and Buckey F'in Dent all in one single collapse. Those names and "1918" have no more bite. Sorry, but it is true.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

Bill Buckner didn't cost them a thing. By the way, did you see his inside the park home run against the Angels several years later?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Although I noticed Fox felt the need to note the anniversery of That Game in the "this day in baseball history" graphic. Old habits die hard, I guess.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Well since we are into short memory and history, let's realize these #'s:

0-3
0-6

What do those #'s mean? The records the Red Sox and Astros have against the White Sox in the playoffs this year.

While It's not over, perhaps Schilling and Manny can get a tie time for Clemens and company come Thursday.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I suppose you mean "tee time" and to that I must say you are really trotting out the tired old cliches when talking about "short history". We didn't bring up Buckner, remember?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Right so let's move on from the "bashing teams not in the playoffs right now"(which I didn't start incidentally) and get back to the series that counts(this one).

It isn't over until it's over. Though I would tend to agree that it likely is. They should start these games about an hour earlier though. Staying up until past midnight(central time) to see who won a game is a bit rough on the body.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
It's true that it isn't over, considering what the Red Sox pulled off last year, but I think we could easily go another 100 years without seeing any more successful comebacks from 0-3 down in any MLB postseason series.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but folks on the West Coast barely have any time to get home from work to watch the games as it is. I bailed after the ninth last night myself, but I have to grudgingly admit that 8:30pm Eastern is probably the best time to start playoff games so the entire country can see them.

Ideally, they'd knock a minute out of each between-inning break and the amount of time relievers are given to warm up and cut close to a half hour out of a nine-inning game, but that's lost advertising money, and thus unlikely.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Boy, do those Ass-tros suck. Maybe they should try a bunt to get a hit with runners in scoring position.

If history holds...

Your World Champion Boston Red Sox will win 2006 and 2007 as we go down the 1918,1917,1916, 1915 path. :D

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Holy shit! Awesome catch by Uribe to get the second out in the 9th. Thoughts of Steve Bartman flashed through my mind there as I saw the players going towards the stands.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Congrats to the 2005 World Series champions Chicago White Sox. We know what this means: 2006 World Series Champs Chicago Cubs. :)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

Houston's fans are equally stupid to Bartman. They let the opponent make a play in their stands.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations* to* the* Gray* Sox* for* winning* the* most* tainted* World* Series* since* 1919*. A* new* postseason* record* for* most* bad* umpire* calls* was* set* and* amazingly* every* single* fucking* one* of* them* went* in* favor* of* Chicago*. Everyone* knows* this* championship* is* tainted* including* the* Gray* Sox* fans*, though* they* won’t* be* able* to* admit* it* publicly*, even* though* in* their* own* hearts* they* know* it’s* true*.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Somebody please delete george's post. It's distasteful and doesn't even matter. The White Sox were clearly the best team in the league this year. I'm only 19 but I've been a Sox fan since I was 5 years old. This feels great.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
It's not even worth commenting on that infantile rant above.

But it's unfortunately just another reason why I'm spending less & less of my free time on HTF.

So Rich, you from Chicago or are the SOX your adopted team?

BTW in case anyone missed the news............. ;)

The CHICAGO WHITE SOX are the WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Woo Hoo!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Jim,
I'm sorry you feel that way, but posts such as that one, says more about the poster as a person than any negativity he can say in such a post.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks