What's new

ML Baseball 2005 Playoff thread (1 Viewer)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I hate hate HATE conspiracy theories, but why is it every single bad call in the play-offs thus far have gone the White Sox way? Yes Qualls gave up the HR, but Dye didn't get hit by that ball either. Replays clearly showed it glanced off the bat. But instead of a chip shot foul ball in a 3-2, 2 out situation with runners on 1st and 2nd and Wheller in the game, Qualls had to come out to a bases loaded position against Konerko, who might never have got up at all, and certainly not at that time. Qualls blew the pitch, but he shouldn't have been in that position to begin with, and either way that one call definitely changed the course of the game and could impact the series. Instead of going back to Houston tied 1-1 the Astros will now go back likely down 2-0, which is a markedly different situation. Terrible terrible call. You just don't make one like that in a situation like that.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that was clearly a bad call. White Sox have earned their way to where they are, but they have been getting every break from the umps.

But holy crap, what a dramatic ninth inning we've got! I was pretty stunned when they waved Burke around, Podsednik was already up with the ball as Burke crossed third. But what a terrific slide to get in there ahead of the tag.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Another Little League job by the umps. It's blatantly clear that the home plate ump, Nelson, couldn't see what happened because Ausmus' glove was in his face. Yet, Nelson claims he was right and doesn't ask for help. Neither of the other fools offer their help to dig Nelson out of his grave. There wouldn't be a call for instant replay if all the umps worked together. This is something Jimy Williams lobbied for after the 99 sham, yet they've now reverted to "I'm right, even if I didn't even see the play."

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Oh my goodness, Podsednik's first homer of the season wins it...wow. What a crazy game.

Even though Nelson blew that call, I don't know that any of the other umps could have helped in any definitive way. That's an awfully tough thing to see from 90 feet away.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Congrats to the White Sox, but man this is one awful series to watch. The NL is just futile these days.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Longest game in World Series history. 5:40 to be exact.

I looked it up and only 4 times in baseball history has there been a sweep in two consectutive World Series.

1927 (New York Yankees over Pittsburgh) and 1928 (New York Yankees over St. Louis)

1938 (New York Yankees over Chicago) and 1939 (New York Yankees over Cincinnatti)

1989 (Oakland over San Francisco) and 1990 (Cincinnatti over Oakland)

1998 (New York Yankees over San Diego) and 1999 (New York Yankees over Atlanta Braves)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Looks like the Red and White Sox have World Championships this Millennium and the Yanks have none. :D

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
One more to go! :emoji_thumbsup: I'm not going to put the jinx on the SOX by saying it's in the bag but it sure is looking good. :)

BTW - Any feedback from the conspiracy theorists on Houston's home run that really wasn't in the 4th? ;) I have to wonder if the Astros ended up winning this one would this "bad call" get as much coverage by the announcers as the ones that went the SOX way? :crazy:

But whatever, I'm enjoying every minute of this series. :D Go SOX!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
How about last millenium? or total for that matter? I think Red Sox fans can count that # on one foot or hand.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

What was the deal with that? I didn't see very much of the game, and I went to bed a few months before it ended, so I didn't end up seeing any highlights either.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Given the crazy yellow line that denotes home runs off the left field wall, it was kinda hard to delineate a fair ball off the wall, and a home run where that questionable home run was hit IN REAL TIME.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Oooh! Oooh, oooh! Pick me, pick me!!

Do I have your attention? Ok...

I know something that has not been done in the last millenium. Nobody has lost a 3 games to none lead in the playoffs to their bitter rivals, losing two of those games in extra innings after having a lead in the 8th and the greatest closer in history on the mound ...

Whooops, never mind.:D

2004, 3-0, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 3-4 ... that's a hellava lot more numbers than "1918" (and so much more meaningful today).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks