What's new

*** Official 2002 Major League Baseball Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, Floyd's already making noises about wanting to get a deal done before the end of the season - apparently he enjoys moving even less than I do.

The question is, who gets bumped before tonight's game? I'm hoping to see Offerman hit the waiver wire, since Clark at least has value for defense.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Looks like the Red Sox are looking to finally knock the Yankees of the American League East throne. I guess you could say they got Floyd for a Song.
Hmm... I seem to recall Boston fans saying the same thing when the Sox signed Ramirez... and before that Urbina... and before that...
We all know how the story goes. :)
-Your friendly Yankees fan

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Hey, they've been looking for a while. :)
That said, the Sox lineup compares pretty dang well with the Yankees or anyone else you want to throw out there:
CF Damon
RF Nixon
SS Nomar
DH Manny
LF Floyd
C Varitek
1B Daubach/Clark
3B Hillenbrand
2B Sanchez
(I'm assuming Little's not a complete idiot and will bury Offerman somewhere underneath Rickey, Merloni, and Baerga on the bench)
And they've got the two best starters in the AL. Right now, I'm feeling pretty good about them pulling ahead for the wild card, and think it's quite possible that they could catch up to the Yankees over the next two months (especially with 5 head-to-head games remaining).
Of course, if there are two things history has taught us, it's that the Yankees will get every close (or blown) call, and freak injuries only happen to other teams. That sort of tempers my optimism. :D

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Jason:
I agree with everything except for the close calls. You just remember the ones that didn't go your way. I do the same thing. But, hey - that's what being a fan is all about.
I agree that the Sox look good for the second half. I do hope they make it to the postseason, as it's more fun beating them in the big games. :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, the 1999 ALCS is tough to forget. Just how many times did the umps blow a call that benefited the Yankees in that series? And, of course, there's Jeffery Meier...

Seriously, though, I think the Yankees do tend to get the benefit of the doubt the way that Tom Glavine seems to have a bigger strike zone than, say, Rolando Arrojo. Umps are human and can be influenced by reputation just like anyone else. It probably doesn't happen quite so often as it seems to, but it does happen.

I do hope they make it to the postseason
No you don't. You really don't want to face Pedro and Lowe in a short series this year.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Last time we faced Pedro in a short series it all worked out. So, yes, I really do hope you make it to the postseason. I'm more scared of the A's and Angels this year.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
That said, the Sox lineup compares pretty dang well with the Yankees or anyone else you want to throw out there:
Except that lately (except for Nomar's b-day game) that lineup has been a tad lethargic. Damon's slump has gotten almost stupid (which sucks since he's on both my fantasy teams).
Let's talk about big money moves to give you the edge and 2 reasons why I always argue that it's crap and can backfire just as much as help.
JEFF WEAVER - still waiting to hear from ANYONE who told me that this was some Yankee dominance while I told everyone else it was a big freaking mistake. Even an injured Lilly would be better for the Yanks than Weaver right now. People shouldn't complain about deals that they have no idea about - as I said, based on the numbers this deal made no sense, and it's not getting any better in results.
Expos - they DO go get players (Colon, Floyd) and they DO fall to pieces. So much for bringing in help to put them over the top. Again, chemistry is a funny thing and it's amazing to watch teams that feel a desperate need to do SOMETHING, anything rather than stand pat.
I know this isn't always true, but you often have to wonder WHY a big name star is on a LOSING team. After all, isn't it his job to make his team win. How does he get better at that by coming to a winning team? Maybe it rubs off, sure, but maybe it rubs the other way instead.
And I also think the "hired gun" mentality just doesn't quite work unless there is a very strong personality base already on the team and the guy coming over isn't THE man. That's why Justice to the Yanks was okay and they are surviving Weaver this year. Plus, Giambi started at the beginning of the season so there is a cohesion that was able to build up.
I get a non-strike vibe too, but man, you never know. There's a lot of ego yet to come out that might show up as things get closer. All I know is my Cubs trip happens BEFORE the strike date. :emoji_thumbsup:
Speaking of Cubs, my fiancee heard this story which upset her a bit (definately turned her off the idea of going to a Cubs game). I guess just after warmups while players were throwing balls out to fans before a recent Cubs game some girls started flashing to get the balls thrown to them. The other players saw this and came over to where it was occuring and encouraged more of it and it continued.
I love naked chicks and Cubs bleachers can be crazy, sure, but it's not exactly the family atmosphere of Cal Ripken baseball, now is it? I would think something like that would be heavily frowned upon at a MLB game. You can't control what the fans do at first, but at the very least wouldn't you want to keep your players from acting like it's freaking Mardi Gras.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My one experience in the bleachers at Wrigley included one guy who was being drunk and kind of obnoxious. The bouncers came out of nowhere, grabbed him and pounded him unconscious, then literally dragged his limp carcass off into the bowels of the stadium for who knows what.

Makes you want to behave yourself at the ballpark.....

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
still waiting to hear from ANYONE who told me that this was some Yankee dominance while I told everyone else it was a big freaking mistake.
Yeah, I can't let this one slide by. It's not what he's doing now but what he as worth to prospective new teams at the time. I know the Cardinals were going after him pretty heavily too and guess who got 'em. Don't point to the fact that he's doing bad now and say that it wasn't about the Yanks' "dominance" in the FA market. ;)
One quick general trivial question about baseball: How does one play in 165 games in a year? Maury Wills, a SS for the Dodgers played in 165 (regular season) games in 1962. I can understand 163 as maybe a division tie-breaker but 165? Maybe it's something obvious that I'm overlooking..:confused:

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Here is some good news. Are the players and owners actually going to prevent a strike? I won't take those odds yet but its encouraging.
This "offer" of drug testing is the lamest thing I've ever seen. This is what the players are saying:

"Next year we'll have anonymous random testing--the testing will be for statistical analysis only. (No one is punished and the public doesn't hear the individual results.) If less than 5% of players are positive, we'll repeat this test again in 2004. If more than 5% are positive, we'll submit to some form of actual testing."

What kind of crap is that???

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
One quick general trivial question about baseball: How does one play in 165 games in a year? Maury Wills, a SS for the Dodgers played in 165 (regular season) games in 1962. I can understand 163 as maybe a division tie-breaker but 165? Maybe it's something obvious that I'm overlooking.
Back in the old days, i.e. before divisional and wild card playoffs, when two teams ended the season in a tie, they played a best of 3 playoff series. In 1962 the Giants beat the Dodgers 2-1 in the playoffs (as they did in 1951, I think).

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The M's just bought Jose Offerman off the Red Sox. I don't know if this is a good thing or not. What can we expect from Jose?

Phil L

Supporting Actor
>The M's just bought Jose Offerman off the Red Sox. I don't know if this is a good thing or not. What can we expect from Jose? <
I'm going to let a Red Sox fan handle this;)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
What can we expect from Jose?
Pain. Great, incredible, enormous amounts of pain. The day of his release shall henceforth be celebrated as an annual holiday in Red Sox Nation.

OK, seriously - he had a pretty good 1999, then either because of injury or Sudden Complete Skills Deterioration, was pretty much worthless the next 2.5 years. He became (more of) a butcher in the field and couldn't run anymore - but thought he could. Strangely, he could draw walks, but even that has faded. He's played mostly 1B this year and that not well.

I gather the Mariners plan to stash him in Tacoma until September, basically in case John Olerud has a stroke or something.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jason. No, they plan on using him off the bench. The ownership got a lot of criticism, deservedly, for being cheap when around the trading deadline. We watched as the Sox, Yankees, A's and Angels went out and got better players for the pennant run. The M's said they were at the limit of their payroll, despite spending $50 million a year less than the Yankees, and despite that the M's are only second to the Yankees in revenue.

Last year we got Al Martin, and this year we get Jose (at least I had heard of Jose). They say they are not done picking through the waiver wire, but I am not going to hold my breath.

At this point, I am ready to trade Sasaki (5 blown saves in 8 games), Cirrilo (good defense, can't hit worth a damn), and Halama (wants to be the fifth starter but rarely is good after 5 innings).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks