What's new

Noob questions! (1 Viewer)

bdaabat

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce Anderson
Howdy folks! I'm a complete noob who is in a tough spot and would appreciate assistance from the veterans of the board.

Am trying to get a decent sounding 5.1 HT set up in the basement. it's not a big space... maybe 14 * 10. Don't need to move a lot of air.

The issue? Cash. As in, there just isn't much available for a more detailed HT setup.

I would appreciate some suggestions from the group about what I could consider for a very modest home theater setup. The budget is ~ $600. We don't have a Blu Ray player but would like one.

It seems that folks here like the Onkyo TX-SR 508 for a decent entry level receiver. Any other suggestions?

Speakers: I just have no idea where to begin.

Blu Ray players: any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Here's a link to the Onkyo products (receivers, speakers and receiver/speaker packages) from ac4l.com. Most of the receivers are refurbished models but they come with a one year warranty from Onkyo. As you can see, you can save a lot of money this way. The 5300 refurb is only $299, regularly $599. Not the greatest but it comes with a receiver close to the 508 and the speakers and subwoofer are almost adequate .

Tigerdirect.com also carries Onkyo's packages with Klipsch, Jamo and a couple of other speakers but they are a bit more expensive than the Onkyo speaker packages and that might not leave much for the BluRay player. Some of the Jamo speakers are without the sub woofer as well.

Newegg.com has great prices (though they sometimes vary from week to week) on Polk Monitor series speakers. Avoid Polk subwoofers in your price range. You can do better.

Those who have heard Fluance.com speakers say they are pretty good for the price.

Partsexpress.com is a good place for in-expensive subwoofers (skip the first two) and many other things. They also have diy kits and plans which can be fun but usually wind up costing a bit more than you thought. Lots of fun though.

Monoprice.com for cables, wires and other stuff. We all need more stuff.

I'd stick to a name brand BluRay player, even last years model if need be. They can be found on sale for under $100 these days. House brands like Insignia from BestBuy have some good reviews but also a few less than flattering ones. Those from Magnavox, Philips, etc. found at Costco, Walmart, etc. are almost identicle on the inside and are usually made by the same factory (Funia). If you decide to go this route getting the extended warranty might be a good thing.

That should get you started.

RIIDL

Grip
Real Name
Ben
I would like to add another noobie question:

I have read on some store reviews that some new speakers' tweeters could be "toasted" either by defective material or just abused by some new users. My question is - How would you know exactly if your tweeter is "toasted"??? Would it still produce some sound or would it be completely no sound at all???

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Once "toasted" they produce no sound at all.

Probably caused by a cheap, 6db/octave crossover when a proper design called for a 12db/octave slope.

bdaabat

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce Anderson
Question: Anyone familiar with Yamaha YHT-393? It's a HTiB (one with a more "real" receiver... has 4 HDMI inputs) that's got good reviews at Amazon and is on sale for < $300.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks