What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

No more standalone version of Lightroom (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott: I do this since my version of Photoshop (5.5--one of the last before CC) doesn't accommodate my Canon 80D's CR2 files.

Do you see any difference in your images after you process them with the DNG converter? Mine look just a little "different" and I can't put my finger on exactly why.

Mike, I do not really notice any difference between the final results of my Canon M50 after processing the DNG files versus other bodies processed via their RAW files in Lightroom 6. I have Lightroom import presets for each of my bodies, and I have been using the preset I created for the original Canon EOS M mirrorless body for the M50. I suppose my Canon 7D2 preset would work okay, too, since it also has a similar sensor. I cannot compare RAW versus DNG with the M50, of course, since LR6 doesn't support that body. And I have never bothered to perform a RAW to DNG conversion for any body that LR6 or DxO PhotoLab supports.

I am hoping DxO adds support for the M50 soon so I can just use PhotoLab for everything.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
For instance, global metadata changes - it is simple to add or change Title/Caption/Copyright for a single photo, but I have not figured out how to do it for every photo in a given album,or on the fly to every photo being currently imported. Thus: huge waste of time, doing hundreds of photos one a time,

Apply it on import?

I'd suggest watching Terry or Scott Kelby's intro course.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I fear the day is coming that I'll have to either join the Adobe CC horde, or be content with the DNG conversion of RAW's when I eventually upgrade my camera bodies too. :( :( :(

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike, I do not really notice any difference between the final results of my Canon M50 after processing the DNG files versus other bodies processed via their RAW files in Lightroom 6. I have Lightroom import presets for each of my bodies, and I have been using the preset I created for the original Canon EOS M mirrorless body for the M50. I suppose my Canon 7D2 preset would work okay, too, since it also has a similar sensor. I cannot compare RAW versus DNG with the M50, of course, since LR6 doesn't support that body. And I have never bothered to perform a RAW to DNG conversion for any body that LR6 or DxO PhotoLab supports.

I am hoping DxO adds support for the M50 soon so I can just use PhotoLab for everything.

I didn't explain myself well.

What I do currently is...I import my images from the 80D onto my laptop where they sit as CR2 images (I'm shooting full RAW). I can see them on the laptop but cannot open them in PS without using the DNG converter. When I do this and the images sit side-by-side they don't look the same.

I'll see if I can figure out a way to show you what I mean.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I didn't explain myself well.

What I do currently is...I import my images from the 80D onto my laptop where they sit as CR2 images (I'm shooting full RAW). I can see them on the laptop but cannot open them in PS without using the DNG converter. When I do this and the images sit side-by-side they don't look the same.

I'll see if I can figure out a way to show you what I mean.
I see the confusion. You cannot actually view a RAW file. When you are "viewing" the RAW file on your desktop, what you are actually viewing is a JPEG image embedded in the RAW file. That JPEG would have been created by your camera when the RAW file was created. So, that RAW file should look different than anything you have processed in Photoshop.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ok.

So in my Windows File Explorer when I see Image1.CR2 sitting right next to Image1.dng and they look different, I should not be alarmed, right?

I appreciate that info!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Scott. Here's a lousy cell phone shot off my laptop screen...but I think you can still see what I'm talking about.

The .dng versions both seem a bit brighter and with better color.

full

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks, Scott. Here's a lousy cell phone shot off my laptop screen...but I think you can still see what I'm talking about.

The .dng versions both seem a bit brighter and with better color.

full
That's interesting, Mike. I have never looked at the Canon RAW files and converted DNG files side by side before within Windows File Explorer, as I always output the DNG files to a separate folder as part of the conversion process and never look at the RAW files thereafter. The differences are probably due to one of two reasons -- either the RAW to DNG conversion app creates a new embedded JPEG image in the resulting DNG file, or the file viewer add-ons for Canon RAW files and DNG files within Windows have different display settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks