What's new
World Wide Stereo

No bass at all from floor standing speakers (1 Viewer)

hooah212002

Auditioning
Real Name
Kris
Hey guys, got a couple issues here (aside from me being a total noob when it comes to audio). I just bought a Kenwood VR-60RS receiver, two Sylvania floor standing speakers that I am pretty sure have 12" subs, and two other floor standing somethings that I think are 8". I purchased these ALL from my buddy and have personally heard how good they sound. We even set it up quick last night before I took it home and it sounded great. For now, I only have to two Sylvania's hooked up. I have a 42" Vizio LCD, a PS3 and a Tivo. I initially set up just the Tivo and regular TV didn't sound too great. Ok, no worries I thought, i stream media from my PS3 anyways. So I hooked up my PS3 (which was a task in itself, but that's not the topic) via Toslink. I have some music on my PS3 HDD that I tried and it sounded very flat and had NO bass. Mind you, nothing changed from the time we had it set up in my buddies house and it sounded excellent, except for the fact that I used optical and he uses regular old RCA (and the source was his PC, but it was onboard audio and not a dedicated card). What settings should I check so as to get some more bass to these speakers? They will be used mainly for movie/tv watching with little, if any, music. I should also note that my buddy had somewhat of a ghetto rig in that he had the two 12"s as dedicated subs which were run off another receiver that was connected to the sub port on the amp he sold me. However, we tested with just this receiver and they sounded good. If I left anything out, let me know. Thanks for the help.

hooah212002

Auditioning
Real Name
Kris
Basically you need to tell the receiver you have large speakers and no sub and the low notes will then be sent to the mains.
That is exactly what I did and it worked. Thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sylvania floor standing speakers that I am pretty sure have 12" subs
There is a 99% chance those are plain woofers as opposed to subwoofers. Yes, they usually are the same size but have a completely different purpose. Subs also have a heavier construction. 12" woofer - total weight under 4 pounds - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=292-412 12" subwoofer - 48 pounds - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-638

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks