What's new

NFL Defense Question (1 Viewer)

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
something i've never really understood-
the difference between a nickel and dime defence.
I have a good understanding of football so you don't need to dumb it down too much, this is just something i've never really had explained to me

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
Nickel = 5 defensive backs
Dime = 6 defensive backs

In most cases they usually take the linebackers out. Or in some cases, a lineman, but put a linebacker up on the line instead

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
According to Howie Long's "Football for Dummies" book, the nickel defense is named (obviously) because of the 5 DBs, and the dime defense is named because it has 2 nickel backs. 2 nickels = 1 dime...oh, those wacky defensive coordinators... :)

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Thanks Dave,
I was scratching my head as to how 6 dbs make a dime
and thanks to the rest for the answer

anyone else have a silly question that they've always been too embarasse to ask?

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
OK. I've got one. What is it exactly that makes a "blitz" a "blitz"?

Is it the number of guys rushing the passer or is it just that a DB is rushing the passer (safety blitz, corner blitz, etc.).

It seems to me that the defensive ends are always trying to get to the QB, so that leads me to believe that saying that the defense is "blitzing" would have to involve a linebacker or secondary player.

Brad

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A ‘blitz’ occurs any time any defensive player other than the down lineman (usually 4, but can be 3, or often in college 5) rushes the passer.

The term ‘blitz’ itself is short for ‘blitzkrieg’, a type of offensive, tactical warfare first used by the Germans in WWII. It was first proposed and developed by General Gudarian (sp?) after WWI. The concept was to use armor and close air support (mostly the Stuka) to smash through enemy defensive lines, bypass strong points and disrupt command and communications in the enemy rear, thereby creating great confusion in the enemy ranks and allowing the infantry to mop up the resistance. It worked very well in Germany’s early victories in Poland and France, as well as the initial offensive into Russia.

If you think of the linebackers as tanks and the down linemen as the infantry, you pretty much have got the analogy.

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
I had always thought that a blitz is when you send more than 4 men after the QB. 3 is a standard rush, 4 is a 4-man rush, 5+ is a blitz.

-ikiru

Jason Co

Second Unit
There are also blitzes where a d lineman will drop into pass coverage. Whee this is fun....

J

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Here's one--if the offense is in a 2 TE set, does the defense still have a strong and free safety? Or are both safeties considered strong?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Depends on whether either 2 RBs are in the slot or if they are simply in an I formation or veer formation. If the RB is in the slot, then you still have a strong and weak safty, but in a balanced formation, you have 2 safties.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
It depends, are both te's on the same side of the center?

PS. Do you walk to school, or carry your lunch?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
It depends, are both te's on the same side of the center?
You can't have two ends on the same side of the center, regardless of whether they are split wide or tight. You can place a player (who is normally a tight end) between the tackle and end, creating an extra lineman in that position. However the extra man, if on the line of scrimmage is not eligible to receive a pass and one other lineman must move off the line of scrimmage.
It would be possible to move the extra tight end just back from the line of scrimmage, in which case the player, being now, technically a part of the backfield is pass eligible. Sort of a split-T or Wing-T formation where the back is very close to the line.
All this from the rule that mandates seven players on the line of scrimmage and the one that states that only the player on each end of the line are pass eligible. This is why on tackle-eligible plays the end on one side (usually split quite wide) moves off the line of scrimmage or into the backfield, while the wide receiver on the other side moves up to the line, becoming an end. Then, the expected TE becomes a regular down lineman and the tackle on the other side becomes an end.
Simple, no? :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Lew offers a fine explanation. The complexity of the formations is the reason you see so many illegal formation penalties. If a receiver covers a TE by staying on the line of scrimmage, it's a penalty. Put a receiver in motion, and it gets even more confusing.

I can understand the number of illegal formation penalties, but have never understood why defensive players actually line up offsides so much. How difficult is it to make sure you are behind the line of scrimmage?

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
It seems like it must get fairly tough when you're pumped up on "adrenaline".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, if somehow they could put an "imaginary" yellow line (like on TV for the 1st down line) of scrimmage down for the defensive linemen, they would not line up offside. Heh heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks