What's new

Theatrical Dumb Money (2023)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Title: Dumb Money (2023)

Tagline: When Wall Street rigged the game, he changed it.

Genre: Comedy, Drama, History

Director: Craig Gillespie

Cast: Paul Dano, Pete Davidson, America Ferrera, Nick Offerman, Anthony Ramos, Sebastian Stan, Shailene Woodley, Seth Rogen, Vincent D'Onofrio, Dane DeHaan, Myha'la Herrold, Talia Ryder, Olivia Thirlby, Kate Burton, Clancy Brown

Release: 2023-09-15

Runtime: 104

Plot: Vlogger Keith Gill sinks his life savings into GameStop stock and posts about it. When social media starts blowing up, so do his life and the lives of everyone following him. As a stock tip becomes a movement, everyone gets rich—until the billionaires fight back, and both sides find their worlds turned upside down.

I was expecting more from Dumb Money between the actors involved and the story itself. But somehow, it just falls flat. I wasn't bored and my mind didn't wander, though the script doesn't do a whole lot to educate the audience in what is actually happening. It's "retail investors good, hedge funds bad." No mention of what the complex transactions are behind the scenes...just name drops of calls and options and that sort of thing. (It does mention what a short squeeze is, so that's something.)

Too many recognizable actors just dropping in for a scene or three, for me (I very much dislike Pete Davidson is everything I've seen him in). Pair this movie with a Gamestop doc and you're onto something: the background and information is crucial; Dumb Money just doesn't care to marry the two.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I assume this just doesn’t compare to The Big Short- a film I couldn’t fully understand after 1,000 viewings, but adore its attitude.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Viewed the trailer a few months ago and what i remember the most about it is the F-word being mentioned every five seconds in it.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks