Next Hanna-Barbera set?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matthew Green, Oct 6, 2004.

1. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Second Unit

Matthew Price
    I missed Greg's post though. The key word there is most. They said they would probably do the group shows in order. So it makes me think Yogi's Treasure Hunt may be most far down on that guy's post. If that post is to be taken as actually in the works and not just eventually, then i think we've got our 80s series probables then for this year. (or at least first half or so at least)

2. JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL Stunt Coordinator

I have to watch the rest, but remember the first few eps. being really corny. And yeah, now I remember the '68 series being on Amazon! I guess that might be why we haven't seen certain series pop up on DVD, because everything's going digital? Speaking of which, I assume the 1980-82 Scoobys on Amazon are in syndicated form, and not with their partner shows of the time?

3. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    For myself, Scrappy was a series killer. I was there when he showed up in 79 and after about three episodes I gave up on the series as a lost cause. Yes, Scrappy was done as a way to re-invent the series. At the time ABC felt that Scooby had gotten stale and wanted to cancel it. They instead decided to give it another chance if the series was revamped. Enter Scrappy. I would love to have the '68 Batman series on DVD. Were they done by Hanna Barbera?

4. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    Filmation did the 1968 Animated Batman (Along with Superman, Superboy, Aquaman, and the Justice League (Atom, Flash, The Green Lantern and Hawkman)) About half of the Superman Cartoons, all of the Aquaman and Justice League Cartoons are available on DVD. A "Rights Issue" F.U.B.A.R. Prevents the Superboy and Batman Cartoons from becoming available on DVD. :f

5. Towergrove

Towergrove Screenwriter

Sarah
    Last I checked sell thru of Disc was still a 8-9 BIllion dollar a year business, hardly chump change. Digital downloads... much much less. Im sure we will see this series either through the Archive or Regular sometime in the future.
    Im not sure why but as a little girl I didnt like Scrappy now in 2013 when I watch the episodes featuring this k9, I dont mind him so much.

6. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    The '68 Batman show is available in its entirety on amazon as a (perfectly legitimate) download. I've never heard of there being any rights issues associated with it.

7. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    Must have been cleared. I wonder why it hasn't been made available on DVD? :huh: There's still the issues with Superboy to contend with. (I read it has something to do with the estate of Superman's authors. Maybe these will be cleared someday. Then again, there's a certain 1966 superhero Series that probably has to be King of the F.U.B.A.R.s when it comes to DVD. :f

8. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    I would have thought that the legal issues with Superboy would have been settled when they did the live action series.

9. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

The legal issues with Superboy have been settled. Warner Archive is now offering the live action series through their program. There are no rights issues with the BATMAN series from 1968. It used to be available on VHS but it has not shown up on DVD yet.

10. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    It's been about six years since those titles were released, and they seem to be heavily discounted at Amazon and such places, selling for $5-$7. I don't think there is a lot of potential profit for more releases. It will be interesting to see if the rest of the episodes from the Filmation produced stuff ever gets a DVD release.

11. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    I stand corrected.

12. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    HB complains about sales of their sets over the years, but WB does little to opening up the selection to wider market. WB archive is main distribution point for releases and yet many of those releases do not make it outside of the United States. Yes, there are ways via amazon.com and/or deep discount to purchase Archive releases, but the vendor's pricing can be very expensive.. I usually wait a few months for the price to dropped and/or if i can package few sets together within an affordable price. So, you tell how is WB archives/HB releases really fair to markets outside of the USA? Well, they are not. Roman Hollidays is on my list, but it will be 6 months or so after it comes out before i purchase the set.

13. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    Ditto here. Probably during the Holidays. ;)

14. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    Actually, the current price for the New Adventures of Batman at Amazon is about the lowest I've ever seen it. I think the profit potential for the Adventures of Batman is greater than either Acquaman or the vaguely titled DC Super Heroes. Personally, I was confused for a long time about Warner's various offerings of DC cartoons. From most of the packaging, it is never really clear where the cartoon is coming from. This is especially the case with the numerous iterations of Super Friends. Personally, I think that they would have been better served to have put the dates of shows on the boxes so that consumers could tell what they were getting more easily. At any rate, regardless of whether Superboy or more New Adventures of Superman could do well at retail, I'm sure that they would be very successful archive releases. As for The Adventures of Batman, it might even do well at retail. My children really enjoy the New Adventures of Batman and many of the more recent cartoons are too dark and adult oriented.

15. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Help!... It's the Hair Bear Bunch! DVD collection is officially going to be released tomorrow, March 12 in the Warner Archive.

16. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

No surprise but great news. I have to wait 2 weeks but I'll definately pick it up then.

17. Towergrove

Towergrove Screenwriter

Sarah
    Excited to hear about the Hair Bears!

18. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Second Unit

Matthew Price
    Welcome back everyone.

The only new speculation we really have is that a post might imply to expect some more specials coming out later in the year, but that's not really true confirmation.

We're still waiting on Roman Holidays and then it's back to our list and breaking down what we know are short or long term fix ups.

19. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    I really like to see them complete Wait Till Your Father Gets Home. I have S1 and love that show

I am also surprised there is no update up on the New Adventures of Gilligan.

20. dhammer

dhammer Second Unit

David
    They just confirmed that Marine Boy and Johnny Cipher in Dimension Zero are still planned to be released. I don't know how they are going to do Marine Boy. It is 77-78, 1/2 hour episodes. Johnny Cipher was arround 130 episodes but only 6 minutes long.

Like most of you, I love the old Hanna-Barbara cartoons of the 60's and 70's but, I also have a love for the Japanese created cartoons of the 1960's. We watched the Hanna-Barbara toons on Saturday but during the week, after school, the other cartoons. We had a show in the Philadelphia area called, Wee Willie Weber's Cartoon Club. He introduced us to Astro Boy, Kimba the White Lion, Marine Boy, Rocket Robin Hood, Johnny Cipher in Dimension Zero, Ultraman, Speed Racer, etc. Good times, good times....