What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (5 Viewers)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
According to TVShowsonDVD.com Roman Holidays is coming to Warner Archive: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Roman-Holidays-DVDs-Planned/18138

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
If Roman Holidays is in the works, this means we can move Shirt Tales into the probable category with New Hanna Barbera Cartoon Series and Cave Kids. Since it finished between Ed Grimley and Roman Holidays on the poll. It would also be a good fit for an 80s series in the works. Also this would make the third pre-80s polled show coming out, which does pretty well fulfilling the news the twitter guy gave us.Clue Club probably won't be far behind either. I assume the older shorts shows that had been split up in the past are far longer projects than the 70s (excluding Captain Caveman that was split from a block) and 80s era shows, Which i think is logical enough for us all to agree.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Kevin Martinez said:
So, it's safe to assume that Huckleberry Hound is dead in the water at this point, if Roman Holidays is considered higher-priority?
Kevin, Roman Holldays was part of the saturday morning set as such it makes sense for it to be released. Roman Hollidays was also part of the survey that HB did as well. You may not like the show and that is fine. I do like the show as it is like the flintsones meet the romans!!

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
MattPriceTime said:
On a side note atleast Walmart is offering a special on the new Scooby feature. it comes with a re-labeled disc 1 from the Scooby Doo;/Dynomutt Hour as a bonus. I really hope this makes our conclusions right, that if this sells well we may get a Scooby Doo Dynomutt set come out that would contain their respective Season 2s.
Matt: It sounds logical and hopefully this is, in fact, what WHV is thinking. I would love to see the following released as a single DVD release rather than spread out piecemeal in various themed releases: The following 8 “missing” Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! episodes comprised Season 2 of The Scooby-Doo Show in 1977 as segments on Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics: • The Curse of Viking Lake • Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats • Hang in There, Scooby-Doo • The Chiller Diller Movie Thriller • The Spooky Case of the Grand Prix Race • The Ozark Witch Switch • Creepy Cruise • The Creepy Heap from the Deep The following 4 “missing” Dynomutt episodes comprised Season 2 of The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (these 4 episodes were renamed The Blue Falcon & Dynomutt) in 1977 as segments on Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics: • Beastwoman Parts 1 and 2 • The Glob Parts 1 and 2 • Madame Ape Face Parts 1 and 2 • Shadowman Parts 1 and 2 Darby

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Also as we have all (bar one) seem to agree. The earlier shows were cut up and had parts missing for years. Those shows should naturally take longer to prep for DVD than the later shows. If you were to go back and see the pattern, you would clearly see the only things that have "been in the works" for a long time, are exactly the shows that were cut up in the past. Everything else they have said was in the works came out within the next several months of us learning about it. The only "exception" being in the past they used to say maybe something could come in a year, but when those didn't come to pass they stopped saying it. Even then though those comments never did say they had actually started them in the first place. So back to the main subject why would this make it now dead in the water? Clearly it wouldn't. Plus let's not forget more money from the easier to put out shows can go to fixing the ones in need of work. Remember as we have tried to explain for the longest time, the HB (and extensions) library is looked at as one conglomerate because many of those shows honestly aren't that big to be looked at as it's own entity. This past year and so far this year they seem committed to trying to give a little here and a little there to each of the sub sections to please more people. So far this year we've got stuff to please the sitcom section, the mystery solvers, and an 80s oddball. Plus they gave us something from the Funny Animals side too with Yogi's Gang. It's pretty easy to see they know people want the older shows but they aren't just going to roll them out unprepared. So they've given us some of their later stuff which was easier. WHV is even chipping in with Tom and Jerry Kids season 1 and the Sampler for WB's anniversary. As far as why Roman Holidays, well again the pattern here seems pretty much spelled out in your face. When none of the worked on ones were ready they green lit a bunch of shows from the polls. One was confirmed in the works, 2 emerged on DVD, 2 announced recently by TvSHowonDVD.com. Plus this leaves three more options up for possibles. Lots of us here know how much we want Huckleberry Hound, Atom Ant, Secret Squirrel and Captain Caveman but if they aren't going to be ready in time, they had others to go on. This what i call a good thing. When the library spans from the 50s to the 90s and has the RS orphans dropped in it too, there is still a lot to go through. If older shows are going to take longer to come out then i'm sure not many of us consider it a crime for them to give us Butch Cassidy, Ed Grimley, Yogi's Gang, Hair Bear Bunch and Roman Holidays (Clue Club being the only thing confirmed in line not mentioned there but it is more than likely going to follow soon) in the mean time. The WA is still moving strong and the HB titles are still selling well. Currently the lowest item is selling better than 48% of the other titles on their site. So i don't see them stopping them any time soon.
Darby67 said:
Matt: It sounds logical and hopefully this is, in fact, what WHV is thinking. I would love to see the following released as a single DVD release rather than spread out piecemeal in various themed releases: Darby
Yes this is the time and i hope they jump on it. As we have reasoned many times, if WHV kept the Dynomutt episodes they must have had intention of releasing them on a set with Scooby Doo. If WA got the Captain Caveman material, then it speaks to reason the Dynomutt second season should have gone their too, but it didn't. While they never aired as a block show, they could easily market it like Spooky Games and call it a Scooby Doo/Dynomutt Adventure set. And just put the episodes together and sell it like that. I hope this movie is their testing ground for a set like this. Them having a Walmart bonus helps that idea that they are testing the waters to see how it could work. Since if WA can't touch them, then WHV must have a plan in mind, which obviously is back burnered because they stopped seasons sets cold turkey in the past but have since started doing more of them. Everyone keep your fingers cross, It's not been out a week yet but i so hope this is the trigger we've been waiting for. This could go a long way for finishing those Scooby sets If Laff-a-lympics and Tom and Jerry can get another try, so can Scooby!

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
younger1968 said:
Roman Holldays was part of the saturday morning set as such it makes sense for it to be released. Roman Hollidays was also part of the survey that HB did as well. You may not like the show and that is fine. I do like the show as it is like the flintsones meet the romans!!
I must admit, I first saw Roman Holidays on the Saturday Morning Cartoons 1970's vol. 1 set. When I saw the first episode "Double Date", I thought... I really dig this toon, bring on some more! It kind of has a late 60's "hip teen scene" feel to it even though it was produced in the early 70's and set in ancient Rome. After all, Judy Strangis (some may remember her as the super heroine Dyna Girl and Room 222) is voicing a character named "Groovia"! (Happius Holiday's girlfriend). I guess there was a theme at the time with "Scooby Doo", "Funky Phantom", "Butch Cassidy", "The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan" etc.
MattPriceTime said:
Everyone keep your fingers cross, It's not been out a week yet but i so hope this is the trigger we've been waiting for. This could go a long way for finishing those Scooby sets If Laff-a-lympics and Tom and Jerry can get another try, so can Scooby! *Fingers crossed* (there should be an emoticon for this)

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
MattPriceTime said:
Yes this is the time and i hope they jump on it. As we have reasoned many times, if WHV kept the Dynomutt episodes they must have had intention of releasing them on a set with Scooby Doo. If WA got the Captain Caveman material, then it speaks to reason the Dynomutt second season should have gone their too, but it didn't. While they never aired as a block show, they could easily market it like Spooky Games and call it a Scooby Doo/Dynomutt Adventure set. And just put the episodes together and sell it like that. I hope this movie is their testing ground for a set like this. Them having a Walmart bonus helps that idea that they are testing the waters to see how it could work. Since if WA can't touch them, then WHV must have a plan in mind, which obviously is back burnered because they stopped seasons sets cold turkey in the past but have since started doing more of them. Everyone keep your fingers cross, It's not been out a week yet but i so hope this is the trigger we've been waiting for. This could go a long way for finishing those Scooby sets If Laff-a-lympics and Tom and Jerry can get another try, so can Scooby!
I've long since given up trying to figure out the logic behind which Scooby episodes get released. The problem with using past releases as a guide for what may or may not come out on DVD is that market conditions have change significantly in 10 years or so since most of the HB sets started coming out in complete sets, or at least in seasons. To me, it makes no sense why there has been so much double, triple, and quadruple dippin of original Scooby season episodes, when others remain unreleased. I suppose it's sad reality that a cheapo single disc or random 2 disc set sells better than a volume 2 or 3 of a season. It's just an indication of the market for dvd's is for people buying kids material that they have no idea what's even on the discs. I'll buy whatever sets come out with unreleased episodes. I've given up believing or hoping that actual completion of seasons is going to happen any time soon. It's been like 8 years!

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
derosa said:
I've long since given up trying to figure out the logic behind which Scooby episodes get released. The problem with using past releases as a guide for what may or may not come out on DVD is that market conditions have change significantly in 10 years or so since most of the HB sets started coming out in complete sets, or at least in seasons. To me, it makes no sense why there has been so much double, triple, and quadruple dippin of original Scooby season episodes, when others remain unreleased. I suppose it's sad reality that a cheapo single disc or random 2 disc set sells better than a volume 2 or 3 of a season. It's just an indication of the market for dvd's is for people buying kids material that they have no idea what's even on the discs. I'll buy whatever sets come out with unreleased episodes. I've given up believing or hoping that actual completion of seasons is going to happen any time soon. It's been like 8 years!
I have to agree. I've given up hope that the 8 missing Scooby episodes and the 4 Dynomut episodes will ever get released. Also, I have to include the missing New Scooby Doo Movies episodes as a lost cause. I seriously doubt that any of these missing shows will ever get an official release. Since I already have them taped off Boomerrang (except for the missing Dynomut episodes), I'm not all that upset.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I am still waiting to hear the status of new adventures of gilligan island. The last thing i heard was the originals were in bad shape and needed a lot of work. I still like to see new adventures of gilligan release, especially when next year will marked the 50 anniversary of first airing of Gilligan's island. It is too bad the studio did not try to package the cartoons, movies and the tv series into the complete set for Gilligan Island. I also like to know what HB plans to do about licensing issue with Jeannie, Partridge Family, brady kids, my favorite martian, etc. The licensing issue has not been discussed on those aforementioned shows. I also like to see WB fixed their international shipping issues as well, because the current process is very expensive if you live outside the continental United States. There has been little action on WB archive to fixed their process as such my only options are amazon.com or deep discount or othe eRetailers to get HB sets!

Mark Y

Screenwriter
derosa said:
The double-dips are probably convenient for the impulse-buy type of releases since they are all done, remastered and ready to go. It could be something as simple as XXX dollars in the budget to master something (like the Warner Bros. cartoons) so like Matt said, they toss these DVDs off and maybe some of the revenue from them goes for further mastering of yet-unavailable stuff. But this is just speculation. They'll drop hints about things but by now I guess they don't want to come out and say "X show is coming out this year" because (as happened with the forthcoming Tom & Jerry collection) as Jerry Beck has said, anything can change right up until something is actually released. I do hope this means some really good stuff is indeed being worked on and will make it out. They must realize the window of marketability for these shows is slowly closing as we die off one by one. Hopefully not for a long time yet, though. I mean the viewers who watched Huckleberry Hound in its first run are now well into their 50s.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm nuetral on Roman Holidays, not really a fan but then I've only seen a couple episodes so I may pick it up like Butch Cassidy on a future sale. Now bring on Huck, Wally Gator, Secret Squirrel, Atom Ant, Captain Caveman and Hair Bear Bunch.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Brian Himes said:
I have to agree. I've given up hope that the 8 missing Scooby episodes and the 4 Dynomut episodes will ever get released. Also, I have to include the missing New Scooby Doo Movies episodes as a lost cause. I seriously doubt that any of these missing shows will ever get an official release. Since I already have them taped off Boomerrang (except for the missing Dynomut episodes), I'm not all that upset.
Hi do you have the names of the 8 missing scooby ones so I can keep an eye out to record them on boomerang?

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Sarah: Here they are: The following 8 “missing” Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! episodes comprised Season 2 of The Scooby-Doo Show in 1977 as segments on Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics: • The Curse of Viking Lake • Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats • Hang in There, Scooby-Doo • The Chiller Diller Movie Thriller • The Spooky Case of the Grand Prix Race • The Ozark Witch Switch • Creepy Cruise • The Creepy Heap from the Deep Darby

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Darby67
Sarah:
Here they are:
The following 8 “missing” Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! episodes comprised Season 2 of The Scooby-Doo Show in 1977 as segments on Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics:
• The Curse of Viking Lake
• Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats
• Hang in There, Scooby-Doo
• The Chiller Diller Movie Thriller
• The Spooky Case of the Grand Prix Race
• The Ozark Witch Switch
• Creepy Cruise
• The Creepy Heap from the Deep
Darby
Thanks Darby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles