What's new
World Wide Stereo

Newbie needs help!! (1 Viewer)

kharkness

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Harkness
I thought I had kept up with the technology over the years but I have been humbled and need help hooking up my new a/v equipment.
My 14 yr old CRT projection tv burnt up this week. I decided to go all out and purchased the following:
Panasonic TH42px60u Plasma
LG rc199h DVD recorder/vcr (Upconverting)
Yamaha YHT-370 Home theatre system.
I currently have dish network with a dish311 reciever....I know, needs to be updated but that will have to wait a little while.
Anyway, I've got these components hooked up where I can watch tv and I can watch a DVD but I think I've got some things wrong. I came out of the dish into the dish311, out to the dvd then out to the tv via coax and the HDMI. What I don't understand is do i need the coax and the hdmi hooked up??? I also am not sure I understand the TV inputs (Tv, comp 1, comp2, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, and the 3 video inputs). I also don't understand the LG rc199h inputs. It has Av1 and Av2 but only Av1 is labeled on the back. Maybe I'm just a tech idiot but any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
First you have a real Mix of components right now. Which really makes it confusing.

Your Dish Receiver is not HD.
Your DVD/VCR has both component and HDMI outputs.
and your TV has everything available.

The problem is getting this simple.
The biggest problem is your 311 has only one composite video/audio output.
Also you Receiver has no component or HDMI.

so.....
Until you get upgraded Satellite to HD
Upgraded Receiver to HDMI or at least component video.

I hate to even suggest this, but your best solution is to run everything via Compostive video other then you could run the DVD to the TV via HDMI, but let's leave that out of the picture right now.

Connect your Dish 311 via Composite Video and analog audio (yellow,Red,White) to your LG DVD Recorder.

Also connect the Dish 311 via Optical (audio) to the Receiver.

Connect the LG DVD Recorder to the Receiver via Composite Video and analog audio and also coax digital to the coax input on the receiver.

Leave your DVD recorder on when your system is on. and leave the input on the DVD player set to Line1 (L1) (L2 on the DVD is the Front input.) That's why you don't see it on the back.

connect the Receivers Monitor out (yellow only) to a Composite (yellow) input on the TV.

You'll have to check the owners manual to assign the digital inputs from the satellite (audio) and the DVD to the corrisponding Optical and Coax inputs of the receiver.

Make sure your inputs are set to "Auto" on the Receiver for all inputs.

Turn on the Satellite, DVD Recorder (set to Line1) and your TV to the composite video input you selected. Turn on the Receiver and select Satellite for now.

You should have picure and sound.

Change the receiver to DVD and you should see the DVD screen.

When you want to record a Satellite Program you will always have your receiver set to DVD (line1) (which is now the satellite) and you can program your recording accordingly.

When that is up and running correctly.. you have the option of also connecting your DVD recorder to the TV via Component Video or HDMI, but I'm sure the only thing that will come through the HDMI would be a DVD. or Maybe the Recorded Material that was brought in through the Analog from the Satellite.

You should really get your Receiver Replaced with an HDMI switching Receiver such as the Denon 2307ci or equivelent and get your Satellite upgraded to HD. then everything will be much less complicated.

Keep us posted on the progress... I know I just threw a ton of stuff at you...

If I missed anything critical... users please proofread my connections given the limits of the Source components.

kharkness

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Harkness
Welllll....sounds like I might have bought the wrong Home Theatre system...buy anyway..ONe thing, the receiver does have component video inputs and outputs. What does this change?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
That's why I suggested going the composite video route(yellow red white) instead of component (Green blue red) to the receiver.

You can go component to the TV Directly or even HDMI(from the DVD Player).and doesn't change anything except you will get your Video through both the Composite video in the original setup and if you change your input on the TV to either Component or HDMI for DVD's. You will notice a quality improvement when watching DVD's, but not for your Satellite or recorded satellite materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks