What's new

new to the HT game (1 Viewer)

Wildman

Auditioning
Real Name
sean
i currently have converted my two car garage into my massive home theater. in my mind that is. why is it that the wife always wants to ran on a mans parade. i think it's because men have more fun and excitement when doing a project. but anyway i have converted my two car detached garage into my new man cave the garage is far back from the house so no one used it anyway. but soon as i decide to turn it into a man cave now the nagging begins. i was useing the basement as my cave but the kids took over that. so lets see if they will dear come outside to the garage i mean man cave/ boom boom room. the garage is 24'x24' and i am useing one half as a bar/pool room and the other half as a home theater for me and the fellas and maybe the kids and wife. i am a electrician so i installed the outlets and recessed lights the lights are not on dimmers yet but will do so in the future. i put 6 6"recessed lights on the theater side and 4 on the bar side with 3 pendant lights above the L shape bar. i put a outlet in the ceiling for my projector (not sure what kind to get stuck between the Pt ae 7000u and the Epson 5010 i chose those only because the 3d content and the lens memory). i installed three 6" tru audio speaker ceiling speakers and i plan on installing two in the rear two on the bar side and two outside. no idea on the sub woofer yet need ideas if not best buy it is. i have just finished sheet rocking the walls and ceiling and installed a pull down stair to get access to the attic for storage. whats left is to tape and mud the sheetrock paint and get ready for the fun stuff when everything come to life installing the cabinets, floor,carpet on the home theater side and laminate on the bar side for obvious reason. any idea on the projectors and screen the room has some light from slideing doors and window but very little and the lights are on separate switches so i can controll the lighting. i would like to get a 115" SI black biamond zero edge screen but to costly so i may just go with a package deal from visual apex and get the projector and screen for now and save up for the screen. let me hear any comments i have done alot to my man cave too far to turn back now.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The biggest mistake is using in-ceiling speakers. BAD idea for sound quality. Why are you doing this? The Epson 5010 is a great choice for an LCD projector.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
And by, "why are you doing this", I think he means, "what are your goals for the room". If you just want sound to go with a movie, and you want to keep the speakers out of harms way, then ceiling speakers would do. But if you're going for the best sound quality, then consider wall mounting some bookshelf speakers (and a center channel). Also, it seems you're setting this up as a 5.1 system. If that's correct, the last two speakers are intended to be more on the side than in the rear. For a 24x24 space you'll want a high perfoming sub, or maybe two, especially given that "boom boom room" nickname. (I'm serious, you might want two subs in there.) Budget comes into play before we can recommend anything. Since you're going with bar speakers and outdoor speakers (which makes sense to me), you might also consider a receiver with 3 zones, so they can all be controlled (turned on/off) separately. One problem with zones is that zones other than z1 only work with analog sources. I'll confess, I think it's easier and more convenient to have one receiver for the home theater, and one receiver for the bar/outdoors. If you do that you can just go with a receiver that has an A/B switch instead of zones.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Welcome to HTF, Sean! It sounds like your man-cave is well under way!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks