What's new
World Wide Stereo

New system (1 Viewer)

Bigfish16

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Bought a set of CV XLS15, n a center Chanel CV SL45C, n a denon avrs700w with 165 watts per channel.looking for some advise as I will be watching movies n some music with this setup n looking for some advise as these items are still in boxes n could still make changes . Or add like an amp or something or change receiver? Thanks!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Hello Ben welcome to the forum. Just looking over your list it seems like you have a 3.0 going on with some CV speakers(I haven't seen them in a long time) and a Denon S700W behind them.

I'm not super familiar with CV's line of speakers but it seems like you have two different series of speakers going on. You normally want to get your front three speakers from the same series and you have XL mains and an SL center. I would consider going with the XLS6C to match with your mains. The horn tweeters on the XL and the dome on the SL won't blend very well. You normally either go all horn or no horn.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the S700W as long as you're happy with the features it brings to the table. On first glance it seems to offer quite a bit so depending on what you paid for it you should be good especially with a 3.0 setup.

One recommendation I would give you would be to add a sub if you're going to be using this system for TV and movies. I know you have quite large main speakers and they will do wonderful for music but for movies you'll want to get that low stuff. You won't need one straight away as the mains you have will go quite low (39Hz according to the specs) but you could reach deeper with a sub. This will also allow the mains to do the rest without doing the really low stuff.

Overall I say you picked out some good gear just might want to think about changing out that center. Run the 3.0 and see how you like it. If you're satisfied with the bass output, which is totally understandable with 2 15" drivers, then you're in good shape. If not consider adding in a sub later on.

Bigfish16

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Hello Ben welcome to the forum. Just looking over your list it seems like you have a 3.0 going on with some CV speakers(I haven't seen them in a long time) and a Denon S700W behind them.

I'm not super familiar with CV's line of speakers but it seems like you have two different series of speakers going on. You normally want to get your front three speakers from the same series and you have XL mains and an SL center. I would consider going with the XLS6C to match with your mains. The horn tweeters on the XL and the dome on the SL won't blend very well. You normally either go all horn or no horn.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the S700W as long as you're happy with the features it brings to the table. On first glance it seems to offer quite a bit so depending on what you paid for it you should be good especially with a 3.0 setup.

One recommendation I would give you would be to add a sub if you're going to be using this system for TV and movies. I know you have quite large main speakers and they will do wonderful for music but for movies you'll want to get that low stuff. You won't need one straight away as the mains you have will go quite low (39Hz according to the specs) but you could reach deeper with a sub. This will also allow the mains to do the rest without doing the really low stuff.

Overall I say you picked out some good gear just might want to think about changing out that center. Run the 3.0 and see how you like it. If you're satisfied with the bass output, which is totally understandable with 2 15" drivers, then you're in good shape. If not consider adding in a sub later on.
Awsome yah I like the input, thanks I will return center, n match center to tower speakers great advise n makes plenty of sence!

Bigfish16

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
If I was to get an amp what unit would best suit this setup, 400w max, if I wanted to get a little loud! Thanks!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Those mains are pretty efficient at 92dB so really any amp will get them loud. Since you're going for a HT setup you'll be using an AVR which is your amp. Any modern AVR will have enough power to make those speakers very loud.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
" If I was to get an amp what unit would best suit this setup, 400w max, if I wanted to get a little loud! Thanks!"

Looked up the Denon S700W here:

"For power under the hood, Denon’s website lists 120 watts into seven channels with a 1 kHz signal, 6 ohms, at 0.7% Total Harmonic Distortion. Full-bandwith specs list 75 watts per channel at 8 ohms, though this is likely only with two-channels driven. "

Your speakers are listed as being 6 ohm speakers - so you should be able to drive them just fine using that.

That link above has quite a review - so check it out and it will help you with the setup.

The 400w max spec from the speakers is how much power it can take before the speaker has issues. If you actually put 400w to the speakers - your ears would probably be blown out.

Set up what you have and give it a try. If your receiver starts shutting down at the sound levels you are listening to - then you can look into getting some external power - but I don't think you will ever get there.

Bigfish16

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
" If I was to get an amp what unit would best suit this setup, 400w max, if I wanted to get a little loud! Thanks!"

Looked up the Denon S700W here:

"For power under the hood, Denon’s website lists 120 watts into seven channels with a 1 kHz signal, 6 ohms, at 0.7% Total Harmonic Distortion. Full-bandwith specs list 75 watts per channel at 8 ohms, though this is likely only with two-channels driven. "

Your speakers are listed as being 6 ohm speakers - so you should be able to drive them just fine using that.

That link above has quite a review - so check it out and it will help you with the setup.

The 400w max spec from the speakers is how much power it can take before the speaker has issues. If you actually put 400w to the speakers - your ears would probably be blown out.

Set up what you have and give it a try. If your receiver starts shutting down at the sound levels you are listening to - then you can look into getting some external power - but I don't think you will ever get there.
more great info!thanks ill continue on with this system n see how sounds when all components arrive! maybe adding a rear channel at a later date!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I'm looking forward to hearing how you like your new system. I'm pretty sure that you're going to be very happy with it.

Bigfish16

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
I'm looking forward to hearing how you like your new system. I'm pretty sure that you're going to be very happy with it.
I'm back! System set up, does sound great, only issue is like to address. Or maybe read the receiver manual but I have volume at 32, n cerwin said give great bass at 80,loud! I may hafta break in, bass is good at lower levels but would b nice to control? Highs are great at nomater what the volume is . Watched a movie last night n had the wife jumping out her shorts with scene changes. I'm not sure if I can adjust any of this? Thanks for any help!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Hey Ben sounds like you're happy with your system so that's a good report. I'm not quite sure what you're asking about the bass. Are you saying that the bass starts to drop off at higher volume? What sound mode are you using with these? Did you put on dynamic volume control? If so what level do you have it set at?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks